1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Riley will return to bench to coach the Superfriends

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/07/09/2010-07-09_pat_could_coach_trio.html

Miami Heat president Pat Riley is the undisputed winner in the great gold rush of 2010, walking off with the mother of all free-agent hauls in LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

So when does Riley come down from his executive suite at American Airlines Arena and return to his place on the bench?

How 'bout the season-opener?

While it looks like this is the perfect team and time for Riley to come back to coach, Wade made a pre-emptive strike against his return, saying on Wednesday that Erik Spoelstra will continue to coach the Heat.

But league sources who are familiar with Riley's thinking feel that Spoelstra will be on a short leash.

"Pat won't come back for just Wade and Bosh, because that's not a sure thing in Pat's mind," said one Eastern Conference coach. "But with LeBron and those two, that's a sure thing for Pat. He will come back if they get LeBron."

Not immediately and probably not until Spoelstra shows he can't handle a team with so much star-power.

For now, Riley has to continue to get Spoelstra several more players to fill out his starting lineup and roster. The only other players under contract are Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers and Kenny Hasbrouck, a D-League product. Riley will continue to try to find a new home for Beasley, but the forward has drawn little interest.

"After LeBron, Wade and Bosh, that's a bare-bones roster," said one Eastern Conference president. "You could see a bunch of guys brought in for the minimum, maybe as many as eight guys. They'll get the pick of the litter from among the guys who are minimum players, because Miami is still seen an attractive place to play, and some guys are going to want to be on a team that has a real shot of winning the title."

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think this is a few days old because Beasely to my knowledge is traded already.

But no suprise Riley comes back. He is slick folk.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

One step closer to a championship.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

and people say it's wade's team?

riley will only coach if lebron is there, b/c he knows lebron is the key. i expect him to coach that team sometime next season.

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I thought the Beasley to Wolves trade was a done deal that was just waiting on league approval and I thought it was a given that Riles was going to return to coaching when Spoelstra said he wanted to spend more time with his family ala SVG the last time Riley pulled off his last blockbuster deal and won a ring.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After thinking about it, I'm expecting Riley to return to the bench. The Heat can't afford to take any chances with this opportunity. They need the old taskmaster to make sure things work out for the best.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Riley is a douche. Takes all the glory, shares none of the blame.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Title's misleading, just that Spoelstra's on an assumed "short leash."

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah, this is speculation....bad title.

and y'all need to read the post, before bashing riley..

10. devilsdandruff

yep.
    stats w****.

11. worzel gummidge

Spoelstra didn't have much of a team but I kept hearing of his bad coaching from some Heat fans.

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Still remember how he royally screwed Stan Van Gundy..

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Do you think Riles is bother that Phil has like 12 rings and considered the best coach of all time? Is Riles chasing Phil like players are chasing MJ?

Rocket River

14. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Riley is a douche.
    He quits when roster gets bad and jump in when roster gets good. He will probably take over even if the Miami is one game away from the title.

15. worzel gummidge

Would Orlando already have won a title if Riles were coaching them instead of Stan? Wasn't Stan forced out by players or at least Shaq was unhappy with him?

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I doubt it. He realizes he has no chance to come anywhere near 12 rings. But Riles is the ultimate, domineering control-freak. When he sees an opportunity like this, I think the urge for him to step in and "close the sale" might be too hard to resist. Also consider the amount of respect he has from Wade, LeBron, Bosh and other players is more than Spoelstra could ever dream of. His ego and will are big enough to squash all others and would ensure each player on the team is on the same page, which is Riley's page.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Riles never coached Orlando.

19. blunto

blunto Member

Listen to the latest B.S. Report with Dan Le Batard . If you skip to the 45 min. mark, Le Batard claims to be friends with SVG and denies that Riley jettisoned him. He says that despite how it appeared nationally, SVG truly did resign on his own because of personal family issues.

Le Batard has been the man down in Miami for a while, and I'm inclined to believe him over the speculation that was spewed about back when Riley took over.

20. worzel gummidge

I know, I didn't mean it in that way.