1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Face it, we're stuck with Osweiler. The Texans should stick with him as the starter, but draft Pat Mahomes in the first round, or second, and use him as the back up QB. If Osweiler sucks, then we can start Pat Mahomes. That is not a bad idea.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Greg Cosell:

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech: “He’s got a very good arm. He’s a loose thrower. But he played in the Air Raid offense for Kliff Kingsbury. It’s an offense built on timing and structure and rhythm, and he played with almost no timing and structure and rhythm. He’s really gifted in a lot of areas. But buried under a lot of NFL-type talent is an alarming lack of any refinement for the position at this moment. He’s someone who’s going to need to be coached hard, harnessed. He’s going to have to be receptive to the principles of being a nuanced, disciplined NFL quarterback. The playmaking mentality that he thrived on in college is going to have to be channeled and almost re-trained. He needs to be receptive to that.”​

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame: “He looks the part. He’s got the size you want, a really good arm. When you watch Kizer there’s a lot of things that you really like. But then there’s an issue when you watch him on tape that he has what we call ‘slow eyes.’ He tends to be a beat late on a lot of throws. If you’re a beat late in college, that just gets exacerbated at the NFL level. That doesn’t mean you’re not going to draft him, but it’s something you need to be aware of and work on. As you build your offense with DeShone Kizer, you have to be aware of certain route concepts and play calls that might make that problem worse.”

Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina: “There’s a toughness and competitiveness to the way he plays that’s very appealing. For the most part he was safe with the football. But he has a flaw that you have to be careful about. When he throws the ball, he locks his front leg. When you do that, you can’t really drive the ball. So there’s a lot of throws with Trubisky that at the intermediate and deep-intermediate level where the ball loses energy. A lot of those throws in college were successful, they were touchdowns, but they were not throws that will work in the NFL. Normally, guys that are locked-front-leg throwers, that doesn’t change through coaching. It’s just something you have to be aware of.”

Deshaun Watson, Clemson: “He’ll be an intriguing guy because he’s played in a lot of big games and for the most part has had success. Different teams will quantify that differently, but it does mean something. He’s a little smaller than you’d ideally desire. He’ll gain weight to be as rocked-up as he can, so the number on the scale will look good. My guess is he’ll get to 218, 220, but he’s not really a 220-pound guy. He’s a little bit of a placer of the football in the way he throws. He doesn’t really drive the football. So he’s got a good arm, but not the ideal arm you’d like to see. He’s what you’d call an orchestrator and distributor of the football. He’s a point guard. He’ll need weapons around him and a run game. He has enhanced value because he can run. But as far as a thrower from the pocket, you’re going to need to work with him. He’s in some ways like an Alex Smith-type player.”​

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

Just messing with you....I was refrencing Trump with....WRONG! LOL

But if I'm The Texans and I miss on Trubsky, Watson or Kiser. I draft OL rnd 1, if Mahomes is there rnd 2 take him but if not I go OL again or S. I think the Sleeper Qb in this draft is Jerod Evans and he can be drafted in rnd 4.

He has ALL the tools, he just need experience

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I agree with you there, the Texans really need to fix the Offensive line.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They will have plenty of opportunities to fix the line throughout the draft. Many good linemen will go in the 2nd and 3rd round ds. They should address QB in the 1st, imo.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Leggoooooo

sammy likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The way they are tooting his horn at the combine makes me think he will be gone by the time we even get our 1st round pick. I would love a gunslinger!!!

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't think the Texans should be taking a system quarterback even if he's there. You'all don't need the risk nor the time to develop. You do need a QB, but I'd move up to get better stock.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No matter who they pick in this class it won't be someone starting this season so it doesn't really matter.

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I like the risk in a kid like this, when people compare him to a Brett Favre type quarterback and gunslinger. Besides, even if he didn't start, he sure as heck might finish. Not all rookies sit on the bench all year. Dak stepped right in and looked good for Dallas. It's all a risk, but I would rather take that risk pick one, then pick up the other needed slots. One offensive lineman doesn't make all the difference in the world, but the right quarterback pick could. I hope we draft the kid.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

You all can have Mahomes. Give me DeShaun.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Watson or Mahomes.

Fulgore likes this.
  16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Watson reminds me a lot of McNabb. Would definitely take that.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I hope Chicago doesn't draft him. They like him too.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Does the way Watson talks bother anybody else besides me? Its just muffled and congested and I really cant stand his interviews.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

You know who talks and interviews well?

[​IMG]

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.