1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Manziel is a midget that ran the ball a lot.

Mahomes has a an absolute cannon for an arm while being accurate. Texans need to land Mahomes or Watson.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

In my opinion we have yet to see what a more polished Mahomes can do. The trick is to put a good OL in front of him. He has tremendous upside.
    Plus I'm willing to bet that the majority of the players on that list went to bad teams.

rockpileindisma likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

[​IMG]

#183 zeeshan2, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    rockpileindisma likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

6. rockpileindisma

I worked at a bar in Lubbock up until December 15. Mahomie came in with the whole football squad and was getting free drinks and what not. Dudes were getting rowdy and some frat stars were getting a little too handsy. Push came to shove and everyone was throwing down. I came around the bar and was trying to help the staff break it up. Mahomie was outside absolutely laying into his teammates who took the bait from the fratters. He came back into the bar and paid for all the dudes the team got into it with another drink. Basically threw 30 bucks in the tipjar lol. Shook a few hands and rolled out. The dude is anything but a Johnny manziel

RedNation, eric.81, zeeshan2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This kid is the franchise.

Don't underestimate the professional bloodline, as the story above indicates.

His mechanics are terrible, but that's what he's working on. Otherwise, he's excellent.

He's working on his footwork for the combine. He may not have a great showing at the combine because of his footwork. He's accurate, though, so I suspect he'll be fine. Give O'Brien a chance to work with him. He's the perfect QB for O'Brien to hitch his wagon to.

#187 Two Sandwiches, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like the kid and would be a ok with the Texans drafting him.

But the air raid system, and his not "perfect" QB form concern me.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ok, my son's a Red Raider grad and has been raving about Mahomes. I just watched three scouting tapes on the kid and while he certainly has some room for improvement, my Lord that kid has talent! Looking at his ability to throw both with heat and touch is amazing. This year's QB class is not great, but I would take a flyer on this kid.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm saying it now. He won't and shouldnt make it to the 2nd round.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Best case Matthew Stafford but will take time.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Pretty good analysis; first throw tells a lot

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's a first round pick in my eyes. But who knows, but I would definitely take him at 25 in the first round. I don't care what experts say.

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

Thats the trick? Lol you can say this for any QB.

15. Nook

Nook Member

It is all going to come down to whether or not decision makers in NFL front offices believe he can read defenses quickly and make adjustments.... arm strength, athletic ability and accuracy all are great; but mean nothing if split second adjustments and decisions are a problem.

16. HstnSprtsFan101

Obviously going to need some time to adjust to the NFL but he is said to be very intelligent and I love the professional sports bloodline. Watching tape, there's some really good NFL caliber stuff like looking off safeties and delivering strikes, throwing with anticipation and knowing when to get rid of it or take a sack. Matt Stafford is the obvious comp. I'm no pro scout but he passes my eye test. As much as drafting QB's is a crap shoot I'd love to see us gamble on Mahomes. Barring any injuries or an off field issue before the draft I'd be disappointed if we pass on this guy at 25 assuming the other three QB's will be off the board.

With all that being said, BPA is never a bad idea either lol.

#196 HstnSprtsFan101, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Nook likes this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

A lot of its him, don't get me wrong, but I think part of it is the system. That system looks to constantly push the ball downfield, and with his scrambling, it wouldn't surprise me if that was ingrained in his head.

The good thing, is those things Lance talked about are very easily fixable. The harder fix is his footwork and mechanics, but he is apparently working on those right now. The combine will be huge for him. In my opinion, he could lose millions at the combine. He could elevate himself to just outside the top 10, or higher, even, or he could fall to the late second.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Appearing on the Setting the Edge Podcast, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport revealed some NFL evaluators consider Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes as the top QB in the draft.

The hosts of the podcast suggested Mahomes might be a pick for the Cardinals in the second round, with Rapoport interjecting "if he makes it to round two." The first round quarterback discussion largely centered around Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky and DeShone Kizer, but it might be time to throw Mahomes' name in the hat. Mahomes is a completely unique player, so some teams will fall in love and others will rank him outside of the top five prospects at the position.

Fulgore and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

And the Texans have yet to do so.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

For all those saying the "air raid" system QB's have trouble in the NFL, are not taking into account Mahomes' accuracy and whether or not if he is coachable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.