1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Bev is dead to me

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tehG l i d e, Jan 16, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

who else was capable of doing it. harden did it bc that gave hou the best chance to win. the best players in the league have the ball in their hands. theres nothing surprising about that

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly am not sure. I definitely think Harrell was a huge asset for a little over a million a year. I think he will only get better, and would be a huge asset off the bench. We haven't kept any young players for a long time have we? It's a revolving door of players around James. Clint is the only one we have kept around. Maybe this strategy is more short term though, and a Championship now is the goal. I just want it all, now and in the future. I am greedy.

PhilCollins likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

its because since we got james rockets were always in the playoffs and morey doesn't know what to do with non lottery first round picks

but seriously aren't you happy with this year?

would you rather not traded for cp3 and compete this year agaist 4 superstar GSW with only 1 superstar and not having 2 elite play makers all 48 minutes?

4. hakeemthagreat

Did Harden have to play both or was that his natural skill? Even when Chandler Parsons was here, who was a solid playmaker, Harden played both PG & SG. I think your confusing the team allowing Harden to be Harden with him being "forced" to play both PG & SG. Also when ur not playing any defense you should have more responsibility on offense. Beverley allowed Harden to relax on defense which helped him blossom offensively

#164 hakeemthagreat, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  5. vlaurelio

with CP3 both are blossoming offensively and defensively

pbev was a better fit than jlin.. but jlin is not a starter material on a playoff team

there are at least 20 other starting pgs who are better fit next to harden than pbev. and cp3's the best fit so far

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No, that's not what I said. I am glad we traded for CP3. I don't like that we gave up 7 players to get him though.. It wasn't just his trade anyway. I was talking about all our young prospects that revolve right back out the door. Yes, maybe Morey doesn't know what to do with them once he gets them and just shuffles them along.

7. vlaurelio

I mean which young player would have been a great 1b next harden's 1a? none of them would have been a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th superstar.

we first had to get a 1b or we were going nowhere

there's nothing special about harrel or dekker. maybe parsons but that turned out for the better

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

CP3 is a hall of famer and top 5 at his position ever. Just because Bev isn't a CP3 caliber guard doesn't mean he "held us back". Again, Harden has always been the PG for the Rockets. There aren't 20 other guards better than Bev that can play next to Harden because for one, you need defensive minded on the ball defender. Second, you gotta be able to hit 3's at around 40%. That alone eliminates most of the 20 imaginary guards you think can could play next to Harden

9. vlaurelio

So if its not 20, how many other guards could have been bettet than bev?

10. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Interesting thoughts. I'm kind of in agreement with the essence of this thread's title. Beverly did what he could, and he did it well. But that ceiling wasn't very high. Pretty cut & dry to me. He played pretty good defense (sometimes outstanding, a lot of times distracted/overrated), hit the spotup-3's well, and handed the ball to harden. It was a good fit for what we had but Harden's ceiling could have been higher, hence what we're seeing this year with him playing with cp3 (who I wouldn't say is a "better" one-on-one defender, but a gives overall more value on defense than beverly based off his bball iq and lack of needing to prove he's 1st team all defense ... I don't believe harden/cp3 have hit their ceiling yet and that's exciting to me. But ya, now that bev's off our team, he's kinda whatever to me now. He can chirp all he wants and continue to play with that chip on his shoulder, but he is what he is: a decently good pg role player. Is he starter material? debatable. I think only on teams like the clips.

basically, out of the list of pgs better than beverly, you're looking at ppl who do what he does, but better. Like kyle lowry, mike conley, & the like. They play d (which most superstar pgs don't even do that much), they can hit 3s, and they can do what bev can't: playmake some. playing next to harden kind of necessitates your pg playing at least some d, and cp3 happens to be near the top of the list in these areas so i'm glad we got him.

The only player that I wish we got to keep in the trade was harrell. Honestly, as good as Lou is playing this year, his skillset wouldn't be maximized here with the fire power we already have. Harrell though, I always liked what I saw in him. Reminded me of a young carl landry, the way he dove hard on the rolls and finished with power and efficiency, despite even better a little undersized. Wouldn't have hurt to have him when nene was hurt.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Oh, well, we did trade him and he is on a new team. But, he probably shouldn't have said it on twitter.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Then what? To get a 1c do we give up draft picks for the next 7 years since we don't have 7 more guys to trade? I just thought it seemed excessive.

13. hakeemthagreat

20 guards that would compliment Harden better than Bev?

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why are you arguing this? Beverley is a role player and he played his role on the Rockets. Nobody is saying that he is as good as Harden or Paul. It's like saying Chuck Hayes should be hated by Rockets fans because he was not as good as Hakeem playing the center position.

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

You do realize then we wouldn't have gotten Paul in the deal.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He was a point guard who couldn't dribble. It wore on Harden

Point guard who can't drive is not filling his role

I don't want to sound like I hate Beverley. However he was overrated by fans.

I mean people regretting losing him in the trade was ridiculous

vlaurelio likes this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Pat would be the perfect 4th guard we are lacking right now. Will don't understand why we had to give up multiple guards in that trade. Pat was a huge asset and good trading chip

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Pat is out with microfracture surgery, even if we don't give him up he's probably not playing.

19. vlaurelio

off the top of my head having any of these guys instead of pbev last year would have made the rockets better

cp3
    steph
    wb
    lillard
    kyrie
    klow
    it
    wall
    teague
    conley
    dragon
    g hill
    kemba
    jrue
    schroeder
    rubio
    bledsoe
    r jackson

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

how many of those guys were realistically obtainable? basically none. and those arent just off the top of youre head. you just named all the starting "pgs" in the league last year. anyone could do this. close to no thought went to that

and I cant believe you actually have rubio on there lol