1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pastor at MN State House Prayer Says Obama Isn't a Christian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 20, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A very divisive anti-gay pastor gave the guest prayer at the MN State House. Afterwords the speaker of the house apologized and said someone like that will never be allowed to deliver the prayer again. Also what kind of pastor wears a sweat suit for the prayer at the state legislature.

Video of prayer at link

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/122326544.html

After divisive pastor starts House session, Speaker apologizes

By Rachel E. Stassen-Berger

As protesters chanted against an anti-gay marriage amendment outside the House chamber Friday morning, controversial pastor Bradlee Dean took to the House rostrum to give the prayer for the day.

According to those present, Dean, who has suggested he approves of the death penalty for gay people on a radio show, was accusatory toward Democrats and insulting to people who do not believe in Jesus.

"I know this is a non-denominational prayer in this Chamber and it’s not about the Baptists and it’s not about the Catholics alone or the Lutherans or the Wesleyans. Or the Presbyterians the evangelicals or any other denomination but rather the head of the denomination and his name is Jesus. As every President up until 2008 has acknowledged. And we pray it. In Jesus’ name," he said.

The House session broke down as leaders huddled with their staff members to discuss what to do. Both his words and his background ignited the firestorm.

The session quickly ended and Republicans huddled in a private caucus meeting for more than an hour.

Immediately after the House came back to order, DFL Rep. Terry Morrow took to the floor to say the hope of peace in the daily prayer had been "crushed by a single person's words."

He said the House had been fragmented and needed to be repaired.

"This can't happen again," Morrow said.

Democrats in the chamber expressed shock and said they were appalled. Some Republicans joined in the condemnation. Majority Leader Matt Dean said the prayer was inappropriate. House Speaker Kurt Zellers put it more bluntly, calling it a mistake.

When the House reconvened, Zellers stepped down from the speaker's chair and addressed his fellow House members. He called Dean "a man I personally denounce." Allowing him to deliver the prayer was wrong, "and for that I apologize to each and every one of you." He said he agreed with Morrow's criticism.

"I can only ask you for your forgiveness ... That type of person will never, ever be allowed on the House floor again," Zellers said.

Earlier, Zellers issued a more expansive written statement: "I respectfully apologize to all members in the Minnesota House of Representatives and all citizens of this state for today’s morning prayer. As Speaker of the House, I take responsibility for this mistake. I am offended at the presence of Bradlee Dean on the floor of the Minnesota House of Representatives. I denounce him, his actions and his words. He does not represent my values or the values of this state."

In an interview, Dean said he was surprised his words started a firestorm.

"I said a prayer. If a prayer starts a firestorm, so be it," he said. He said he was welcomed onto the House floor and departed with good feelings. "How it went from that to this, I'm not sure."

Dean said he had watched his prayer himself three times and it should have been clear he had no intent to ostracize anybody.

He said it wasn't right to call him "anti-gay" and said the idea that he had approved of the death penalty for gays had been debunked.

But also spoke admiringly of the time when homosexuality was illegal.

"I'm simply fighting for our posterity. I'm simply fighting for our next generation and the way to do that is to go back to who we are rather than what we are becoming...We don't enforce those laws anymore and we wonder why we are going backwards," he said. "If you were to ask me my position as far as enforcing the laws of sodomy in the state of Minnesota, I would say absolutely yes. Yeah. Yeah."

Asked about Zellers' apology for allowing him to speak, Dean said: "I apologize for him being in the position he is in if he doesn't understand what I said."

Zellers had originally hit the reset button on the session and invited the regular House chaplain to say a second prayer. The House also re-did the daily Pledge of Allegiance and roll call.

House officials said that the guest chaplains are suggested by members and advised to be non-denominational and inclusionary.

Rep. Ernie Leidiger, R-Mayer, arranged the guest pastor's visit, but said he was uinaware about Dean's view of homosexuality, calling it "radical thinking – that kind of thinking, I think back to Nazi Germany… I don’t agree with that.”

Saying he should have done a better job of "screening" Dean, he explained his rationale for inviting the pastor:

I met him about six months ago and what I saw was a good presentation about bringing the Constitution back into the schools. A few months after that one of his people called and said we’d like to have Bradley come on and do the prayer in the morning … And I said I’m not really sure how we get that scheduled up here, so call the clerk’s office. My imput was, I’d seen his presentation, he does a good job of talking to students, talking about the Constitution, talking about we need to understand how our country was formed, how important it was to know about the Founding Fathers …Little did I know there’s another side of him, which, by the way, I just learned today… I didn’t realize he was that controversial a figure. I’ve never listened to him on the radio.

As for what effect the controversy could have on a pending vote on a constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage in Minnesota, Leidiger said he hopes "this doesn’t derail at all the agenda. It’s the leadership’s decision really to see if [the vote on the amendment] needs to be rescheduled.”

Before Zellers apologized, two of the Legislature's openly gay members, Rep. Karen Clark and Sen. Scott Dibble, both of Minneapolis, issued a statement denouncing Dean's prayer. Clark called him "a hateful person" and said his presence in the chamber was "reprehensible."

The Minnesota Catholic Conference also denounced Dean, saying he "disrespectfully turned the prayer into a polemic and his words divided the chamber rather than brought people together.” He "does not speak for those supporting a marriage amendment in Minnesota," the pro-amendment league stated.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

who wants to start a pool for when this guy is caught in the minneapolis airport bathroom?

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why was this guy there again? I guess the Koran burning guy and the Westboro Baptist Church were unavailable?

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think he is less of a pastor and more of a radio talk show host.

[​IMG]

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

glad there was such a backlash against him.

if there's one thing that frustrates me about conservative christians is their view that there is a "need" to "go back to who we were."

i couldn't vote 100 years ago. **** that.

progress, with the aid of knowledge, reason, and science, is where we should be (and are, inevitably) headed.

1 person likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had never heard of Bradlee Dean before so I don't know how famous / notorious he really is. According to the article a state Rep. had heard that Pastor Dean was giving talks about the Constitution in schools, what kind of talks and what kind of schools it doesn't say, so he arranged to have Dean give the prayer. Rep. Leidiger admitted he didn't know that much about Dean and was surprised to find out how divisive he really is.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

so is there supposed to be a issue with a president of a secular nation not being christian?
    i mean at least we ain't starting wars because god told the president to do so:eek:

8. SunsRocketsfan

meh... who cares?

9. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

lol, this is the 2nd thread where republicans do something stupid and all you can come up with is "who cares".

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

unfortunately we live in a time where it is political suicide to deny the existence of god. i hope that during my lifetime that changes ... somehow.

11. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Here's an idea: maybe no prayer at all.

[​IMG]

The U.S. is becoming more and more non-religious. Maybe it's time we stop ignoring 34.2 million Americans

#11 BetterThanI, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  12. BetterThanI

#12 BetterThanI, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  13. BetterThanI

Damn double post.

14. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I'd be fine with going "back to who we were."

You know, before 1954... when "God" was nowhere on our currency or in the Pledge of Allegiance.

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Sheesh...MN, you are full of the crazies lately.

As a sidebar, back in the day the wife of Rhad got to visit the Harris County courthouse for a proclamation of some sort where a nutsy methodist used the "prayer" bull**** invocation thing to rail against gay marriage for a while.

The wife of Rhad was working for a large Houston theater at the time, and accordingly represented a large group of gay folks...

awkward.

I agree with BetterthanI, it's a stupid, antiquated, and unnecessary tradition that should go the way of the Dodo.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Is that Big_Texxx?;)

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Prayer has been removed from schools. How exactly are the non-religious being ignored?

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Except it hasn't. In the Bible Belt, despite it being illegal, prayer goes on in things like school graduations.

Take this article, for example: http://www.knoe.com/story/14681156/hundreds-plan-their-own-prayer-protest-at-bastrop-high-graduation

Atheist student threatens to report them to the ACLU for pushing their prayer upon him during graduation. He becomes vilified and despised by his peers, but the Superintendent (or, rather, the school board's attorney) know they're not supposed to do it, so they cancel it.

All good, right? Wrong.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYLpZIv8xFY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYLpZIv8xFY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Law ignored completely and entirely. It's majority rules, apparently. Don't stick your head in the sand and act like prayer in public schools doesn't happen because it's simply not true. And yes, the school knew exactly what this student was going to say because they rehearsed it the night before (of which there is also a video). The school district is probably bracing themselves to get the crap sued out of them.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Individual prayer is permitted, just not organized prayer. It's called seperation of church and state.

20. BetterThanI

"In God We Trust" on our currency...

"...one nation, UNDER GOD, indivisible..."

10 Commandment statues in courthouses...

Prayers at legislative sessions...

And prayer has been removed from school? Yeah, not so much...

You really think the interests of the non-religious are respected in this country? If the U.S. disrespected people of the Jewish or Muslim faiths in the same manner or with the same frequency that they disrespect the non-religious, folks would be up in arms. And yet the non-religious are a much, MUCH larger minority. Prejudice against the non-religious is one of the most tolerated forms of bigotry still alive in this country.