1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Passing this along: Steve and his shoulder rehab

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lynus302, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I'm currently in physical therapy for my bad back. I'm also fortunate enough to be going to the same place and using the same therapist that a LOT of pro athletes use. In the time I've been there, Francis and Cassell have also been going to therapy there, though I haven't personally seen them. I did get to see Othella Harrington, who stopped by to say hello to my therapist. (sorry guys, no pictures).

Anyway, I'm in there today doing my usual routine of excercises when I over hear some of the other therapists discussing Franchise and his shoulder rehabilitation. According to them, he has been in to therapy a whopping 3 times since his surgery. 3 friggin' times! Apparently Steve just never shows up. They said that though he is progressing well, he has absolutely zero business playing ball at this time, which of course he is doing. They are worried that the shoulder won't fully heal and/or that he'll re-injure the shoulder.

That pretty much ruined my day. I'm no therapist or doctor, but if they're worried, then so am I.

Just thought I'd share. Good luck, Steve. I hope to all hell that you know what you're doing.

2. carlit0

carlit0 Member

I am sure he gets most of his therapy with the Rockets trainers.

At Westside, so he can play some, with is still the bad part.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'm not worried at all. I know that Cuttino is constantly massaging his shoulders.

4. haven

haven Member

Errrp... does anyone find this frighteningly similar to the words of a certain notorious criminal concerning practice?

Thanks for the heads up, Lynus. Hope your back starts feeling better.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im sure many star players skip practice. Iverson's case is only publicized because Coach Brown decided to make it public. Dont be shocked, there are many players who have too big of an ego. They think they know what they are doing.

6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

well, no. I'm confused. I thought Iverson liked to skip practice. it sounds as though Steve is skipping therapy so he can go to practice.

no?

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Although he is going to practice, he is not doing what the team would like him to do, similar to Iverson.

8. haven

haven Member

It's similar in that both players are putting their immediate gratification over what's best long-term for the team... and even themselves.

Doctors are sometimes wrong. But, in all probability, they know more about what would be best for Steve's health than he does. If they say he shouldn't be playing, then he probably shouldn't. The fact that he takes this so cavalierly is a bad sign concerning his maturity.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

After all he's gone through with his migranes, he must think doctors are full of ****.

10. haven

haven Member

Invisible Fan:

Interesting you note that... since Steve was also criticized for refusing to alter his lifestyle when the doctors told him that was the only way to help his migraines.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Can't the Rox hit him where it hurts-- the wallet not the shoulder -- if he is skipping these rehab sessions?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can't really blame the kid haven. He's spending the summer with his boys working on his game rather than waiting in the doghouse for his arm to heal while watching his friends play. He's young like that...

I'm betting that Steve did cut his diet but he probably had some migranes after that and decided to "enjoy himself" because he was going to get migranes either way. He went through months and months without a real diagnosis, and even now the doctor's advice might not be the true cure.

As a Rocket fan, there's plenty to be concerned about, but for him he's going to spend his summer playing. A lot of atheletes have this attitude over the summer. Unfortunately, Steve hasn't matured the way many expect him to yet...

13. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Maybe we can add a little clause of our own to his contract. For every hour caught playing basketball $1 million.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Most therapy sessions just suck. They make you do the same exercises over and over again that you can do at home. The place don't want you to miss because they get paid for everytime you go there.

I bet Francis is probably doing his exercies with the trainers. Didn't the chron report that Kieth Jones is keeping a close eye him.

15. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I've had two reconstructive knee surgeries and had many broken bones and joint injuries. I think I've been to rehab about three times. Rehab sucks and if you are member of a gym or maybe just a pro athlete with a team of trainers and doctors at your disposal, then perhaps therapy might seem like a waste of time. Steve spends a sh*t load of time at Westside and in the gym period. I've yet to hear ANYONE, with any real insight, question Steve's work ethic.

I'm sure that the physical therapists are a little peaved thatSteve hasn't been in. I'm sure it's more fun working with a famous athlete than some nobody with a back injury (j/k :D ). I'm sure they feel that the work they do is the most important in the realm of medicine, but I doubt that Steve is worse off for not going. He has doctors regularly checking the status of his shoulder. If it wasn't healing right, they would probably haul his ass to therapy in the back of Langhi's Camaro.

Anyway, no reason to worry ourselves.;)

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rocketsauce,

I concur.

Steve is being checked out and may be rehabbing on his own...no big whoop.

DaDakota

17. dave feitl

dave feitl Member

IF he is indeed skipping rehab and it ends up hurting him in the long run, he will never live it down, and all of you who think the lil' primadonna should get away with it are the same guys that if he was getting preferential treatment in a criminal case would be taking his side.

I've just about given up on Francis, I hope Ming pans out because if Steve keeps acting like the lil' punk ass kid he seems to be we can trade his ass for a real point guard and be just as well off.

I love his athleticism but HE IS SO SELFISH sometimes.

18. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

OMG!

A little over dramatic don't you think.

19. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Your post is ridiculous. He is our FRANCHISE player. He carried the team last year and you want to give up on him? When he didn't play, we didn't win. There is only 1 other guard I would take over him(Kidd), he is going to be a Superstar in this league. He is getting treatment and he will be fine, quit overreacting.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Can't pass up an opportunity to bash Steve, can ya Davey?

Look, the Rockets have both a trainer AND a team physician, and I'm pretty sure both of these guys are keeping a close watch on Steve's condition. All reports so far are that his rehab has been going fine.

Nice name calling, there...and you're calling Steve a punk ass? He was also found not guilty of the DUI charge. Due process is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Perhaps you might want to get some proof of him giving "preferential treatment" before typing gibberish.

Guess what, Chester...you're in the minority. If you've really given up on him, then I suggest you find a new team to root for, because he'll be here for a while.

Typical of a Steve hater to resort to name calling...as for trading him, it's not going to happen.

Funny...during the season, everyone was encouraging Steve to shoot the ball MORE, because he and cat were the only two players that could seem to make a shot. Now, most Steve haters call him selfish.

I don't know about you, but I've never seen Steve put forth ANYTHING less than 100% effort on the court. He's one of the hardest workers during the offseason, and I can't begin to count the number of games he has either led us to victory or kept us in a game all by himself. The Rockets were totally lost without him in the lineup last season. We already have an all star point guard, yet YOU and the rest of the Steve Haters want to get rid of him and totally mess with the team's chemistry. If you're unwilling to accept that Steve will be here for a long time, then that's your fault...

and Jason Collier STILL sucks!