1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Passenger shot and killed by Air Marshall in Miami

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NJRocket, Dec 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Im not sure, was just going by what my friend said. Every situation is different though. In this one, in the marshal's eyes, the guy was possibly a split second away from pushing a button and blowing everything up. So shooting him to just wound probably wouldn't have stopped him. Hence, my friend's theory about "shoot to kill" situation.

The article said the guy was shot and wounded. That doesn't say much as far as a reflection on what the marshal's intent was.

I am sure more will come out later and we'll know for sure.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

unfortunate.

I steer clear of threads that are D&Dish, except to laugh at dumb things in there. (which is basically, almost every thread.)

But the Air Marshall did his job. You cannot do that in an airplane. If dude had a bomb on the plane, I'd have to tackle his ass, and beat them up.

3. Major

Major Member

Oh I agree - I don't blame the marshall at all for taking whatever actions were necessary. Just a thought for those people that said "why did he have to kill?" It may have not been the intent.

4. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

thats the thing did he have a bomb?

if he did he should have been shot

but he was bipolar, his wife was running behind saying he is mentally ill, and they shot him, and he didnt have a bomb

and if im correct it was in not in the actual plane but boarding area

#84 boomer83, Dec 7, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  5. Major

Major Member

It was on the ramp into the plane, I believe. The CNN headline says "yards from the plane". As for the wife - what do you do? What if she's lying or she's mentally ill?

The marshalls asked him to put his bag down and he started moving towards them in an "aggressive manner". I don't know what else they could have done.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

they didn't have the luxury to know if he really did have a bomb or whether or not he was mentally ill

him being mentally ill doesn't mean he wasn't capable of setting off a bomb ..in fact, you would think being unstable like that might make him even more of a threat than someone who is just talking out of their ass

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i'd like to have a nice plane ride.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What does that have to do with people afraid of Arab looking people?

9. Major

Major Member

You said:

Lesson: If you're flying with a crazy Arab looking relative, then sedate him.

How is that a lesson of this event, when this guy was neither Arab, nor Arab looking?

10. Invisible Fan

I don't think he looks Middle Eastern, but I don't want to go into full length why. But you can prove me wrong, if you want.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Many Hispanics "look Middle Eastern"...

12. Major

Major Member

If you don't think he looks Middle Eastern, why did you post that this was a lesson involving Arab looking people?

13. Invisible Fan

Bad typo.

I think he does, but I'm not going to go further on the recently deceased's looks.

14. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Is there any kind of weapon that could instantly knock a suspect out instead of killing them ?

Anyone who is replying by simply saying "he did the right thing" or questioning if he was shot because of his features are underanalyzing the situation. I mean if someone says they have a bomb and reaches for something in their bag you have to take action, but then you wonder why marshalls dont observe suspicious behavior at all times...Its definitely sounds like they got there out the tail end of whatever happened between the man and his wife and may have been influenced by their own panic... but god, what else could they do. Its tough. I dont know if what they did was right... but it definitely wasnt wrong... if that makes sense.

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

nvmmm....

#95 AMS, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Fear for their own ass is the primary cause for shooting an innocent man. No question about it.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

:rolleyes:

Too bad you couldn't have stayed banned from here. Take that sh!tty attitude to D&D and get it out of my hangout.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

who the hell are you?

19. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

That and if my wife and children were in the same area with a guy acting crazy/aggressive and saying he had a bomb I'd want him subdued as well...sorry, but if he's crazy enough to act that way, there is no telling what else he's crazy enough to do. Just because they're crazy doesn't mean they're always innocent.
    I'm not sure the marshall thought the guy was a terrorist, actually he probably didn't think he was at all, but his concern for the general public from this guy was the main factor in the shooting...hell, it's like some guy at the mall acting crazy, aggressive, and scaring the crap out of people...a cop comes up to defuse the situation then the guy starts yelling that he's got a gun and reaches into his bag. You don't try to talk him down, you shoot, plain and simple...not to kill but you shoot to subdue, which appears to be what the marshall tried to do as the guy died from his wounds and not at the scene.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your characterization that the Marshall knowingly shot an innocent man isn't looking at the situation with any objectivity. I don't doubt that people would be upset by it. Your response was also pointless.

This isn't a pissing contest.

It is fine to think the Air Marshall acted wrongly, and someone lost their life because of it. But to flat out say he was innocent, isn't telling the whole story.

The man was running up and down the aisle of an airplane screaming that he had a bomb. He did this as he reached reached his hand into his bag.

He may or may not have had a bomb, but that kind of behavior isn't innocent.