1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Part Two: Cure for the Summertime Blues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<a href="http://www.clutchcity.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=141">Enjoy the latest.</a>

:)

2. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Jeff
    Get article! Thanks.

No doubt about the basketball is life issue...I often wonder about some people at the games and on this bbs. Man, 4 - 5000 posts in a shorter time span than my initial membership....SCARY!

Have to agree about "fairweather fans".....can't stand them. I have had my season tickets for years. The games I can not attend, I make sure the tickets are used.

Nothing worse that taking your lady (or worse your kid) to the game and some drunk jerk is dropping the f-bomb every other word right next to you.

Why go to the game if all you are intending to do is get drunk. At that point, being at the game is a waste of a ducket. You might as well just stay home and drink a twelver or whatever. However, my suggestion would be AA:cool:

#2 ROCKET!!!, Aug 29, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2001
  3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I really enjoyed reading that, and you made some great points, but I tend to disagree on some things.

As a fan, you should not be required to scream your lungs out at a game. I would love for Rocket crowds to get a little louder, and I am always loud myself, but constant cheering should not be a requirement for fans. It's not like fans get in free to see these games. Ticket prices are outrageous. For the money we put into these games, the only requirement should be to sit back, and enjoy the game, in whatever way we see fit. Some people just enjoy basketball. Others are simply quiet. Sure, the corporate types are annoying, but they still have a right to be there.

It would be nice if every arena was filled with fans as rabid as we are, but that just isn't the case outside of Sacramento.

I agree completely with fan etiquette. Common politeness should prevent people from yelling obscenities to participants (unless those players play for a certain team from Utah). Fans who shout racial slurs and act like bastards should be ejected.

One more thing, I know you added a jab at me, or fans like me, when you said that fans should support teams whether they win or lose. I'm sure you haven't forgotten that I said I would no longer be a fan if the Rockets missed the playoffs this year.

Well, my reasoning is different. If the Rockets gave 110 percent every game, and still missed the playoffs, I would still be a fan. However, injuries aside, this Rockets team is too talented to miss the playoffs. The only way they could miss the playoffs is if they didn't give their best effort. I don't support teams that don't play their hardest.

If the team plays its hardest, I cheer my hardest. That's my motto!

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

Jeff,

Good article!!

As for interaction with players form the opposing team, how do you feel about heckling?

I'll admit it. I'm a heckler. If Stockton misses a shot..I'll scream out, "Nice shot John Stockton!" Yes, I always use full names, it's that much more annoying.

I love to stand up at games and scream and yell and hoot and holler when anything good happens for the Rockets. Even if it just Cato hustlin' down the floor. What sucks, is sometimes I have to remind myself that what these other fans sitting around me think about me...simply does not matter. Because 9 times out of 10, I'm the only one standing up cheering. So all eyes are on me with a few glares. But yea, those ppl piss me off, so the hell with them. Don't come to a game just to see and be seen. I only make it to about 10 Rockets games a year, I'd be a season ticket holder if finances allowed. So yea, give me the tickets!!

It'd be great to attend a game and have others cheer as avidly as I know some of us on the BBS do. Aside from the obligatory stand up and clap and scream during the final minute of a close game, you couldn't tell that those in the stands gave a damn about their team if you were watching on TV. Man, what are we going to look like if we get a few national broadcasts? It'd be sweet to have a few Sunday NBC games.

Anyway, great article!

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You know, I didn't mention it because I don't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't outside of the "play nice" category. UNLESS (key word) you are hurling insults about their kids or something, I see nothing wrong with it. I mean, I know I heave the "are you kidding me?" kind of stuff at refs all the time.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Dr. Freud, your slip is showing :D

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

ZRB gets his own little paragraph :D

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What is really hilarious is that I didn't really even think about ZRB when I was writing that, but reading it now makes me realize that it must've been partially inspired by his posts. Geez, add this to the long list of "how you know you've spent too much time on the BBS" ...

ZRB enters your subconcious!!! :eek:

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Nice article Jeff!

10. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Jeff, if you need me I can do some writing. :D

11. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

JEFF
    Don't feel bad......I'm fighting ZRB's troll negative influences every day. He sure works hard to try to push everyone that way though doesn't he?

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

1 admin down, 4 to go. Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, you guys should realize that I complain about the Rockets because I love them!

Complaining relieves the intense pain I feel after a loss.

13. haven

haven Member

I think that's the most intolerant post/article I've ever read by Jeff ;).

Death to the socialites with front row tickets!

14. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Jeff, great article like always.

Heres a tip, if you are ever down about something and want to cheer up, read some articles that Jeff writes. I dont think i ever disagreed with what he says.