1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parsons vs. Ariza - Glitch in the Matrix?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Jul 14, 2014.

1. J Hard

J Hard Member

Thats been discussed at naseum. Gotta move past it.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You have to be with Dirk though, don't you? Monta can run, but their point guards are often slow plodders as well.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm a big DM fan but no one is perfect. He made a mistake with Dragic (even though I understand the reasoning) and I believe he made a mistake with Chandler. Both of those are fairly huge mistakes IMO. Dragic, Harden, Chandler, TJones and Dwight would be a terrific starting 5.

I watched almost every single Ariza game as a Rocket. He was horrible as a ball handler and his defense was way overrated. He constantly cheated the passing lanes (like Parsons does) which worked sometimes but it also got his team out of defensive position at other times. Those are aside from his below average shot (with the Rockets).

Ariza is a better defender than Chandler but he is certainly not a lock down defender like some seem to think. Hopefully he plays like he did last season which coincidentally was by far his best season as a starter. He is a career .347 3PT shooter after his career year of .407 last season. I'm hoping last season was not an aberration.

There ends my rant on Ariza. I will be cheering hard for him to be everything every Rockets fan hopes he is. I'm hoping he will be a lock down defender that continues to hit over .400 from beyond the arc. And I'm hoping the Rockets do not become a worse team because of the Ariza for Parsons move.

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We need to develop some TEAM chemistry with with players 1 - 12. DM trading assets and moving people each year will NOT work. It doesn't provide the cohesiveness needed to be successful in the NBA.

I hope he uses the extra dollars to put together and awesome bench that gives us a plus 10 when Howard and Harden rest. However, that takes chemistry/time as well.

Morey's analytics produces impatience on his part, which leads to what we have now!

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The mavs gave a giant contract because they thought we were matching and Cuban wanted to D**k us over.. now they are stuck with him and with all the trade options and player approval, i hope parsons plays terribly and Dallas is stuck paying him more than DIRK who is probably pissed he took a huge paycut and only got parsons.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Last season was the best year Trevor has had in his life... And it was a contract year. Lol. The clock strikes midnight when the season starts and he'll turn back into a pumpkin.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dirk has a good attitude and will probably not be pissed, BUT your point stands loudly: he took a big pay cut so they could sign a talented and successful role player. He took a big pay cut so that Cubes could pay a $9M/yr guy $15M/yr.

Can't feel that good, especially when they wouldn't resign Vince, a clutch guy who can create his own shot when the game's on the line.

It's like giving your lover $40 to go to the corner store so she can bring back a Barolo and she brings back a solid Merlot, and you're all like, "okay, where's my change? or did you get some whiskey to chase this?"

8. Remii

Remii Member

Dirk is fine with it for the simple fact all throughout his career Cuban has never been able to sign a super star free agent. Dirk has been to finals and won a chip surrounded by guys like Parsons.

At this stage of their careers _ Parsons is better than Vince... That's an upgrade. And they also upgraded their center position. And they replaced Vince with Richard Jefferson. They are a better team than they were at the end of the season.

And do you honestly believe Dirk took a pay cut... Ha...!!!! You can bet he's getting Kobe money under the table. Same with Tim Duncan.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This right here,

Agreed J Sizz

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So these player getting money underneath the table now . Bwhahahahaha

I wonder why some of our fans can't be so optimistic about their own team but shows plenty optimism for other teams. hmmm strange

11. Remii

Remii Member

As far as Tim Duncan and Dirk. I have no doubt at all that they are being taken care of. Greg Pop has already shown he has shady tactics. And Cuban has spent over $150 million on luxury tax and Dirk is the biggest draw in Dallas. No way those two are just getting Trevor Ariza type money... Lol..

And I didn't say Dallas was going to win anything. I said there team is better... And it is. This wasn't an "optimistic" conversation Baller.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

At least we know Ariza shoots well in Toyota Center (recently). He also presumably closes out on three point shooters better than anyone on the Rockets last year. Look how open he is all the time. SMH.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1ciWlWUjj7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Ariza is a better wing defender than Parsons. He is not a better offensive player (ball handling and playmaking), BUT if Morey goes out and brings in another player (or players) that is a good scorer then we win in the deal. We will have better perimeter defense and more scoring in exchange for Parsons (and added depth).

So lets just see what other moves come out of these deals. Right now everyone is just comparing Parsons to Ariza but in reality you have to wait to see what other moves are made with the cap space that was created and then judge it as a whole.

If you stand and put your face real close to a picture you can't make it all out, you can only see that one section, it's when you step back that you can get a much better perspective and see the beauty of it.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If neither team suffers injuries above their players averages for the last 3 years, we'll have a better record than them, quite comfortably so. Tyson Chandler isn't half the player he was a few years ago (and it's not like Dallas did it, he won DPOY in NY), they are sorrowful at both sides of the ball at pg and bad defensively literally everywhere but a worn down Tyson.

#95 Aleron, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Ariza will be starting next year. To me Ariza is not a guy that talks alot in the locker room nor on the court. He will take the premature Harden's orders barked on the court with no problem and won't even say a word as he tries to cover for Harden's man as well as his own at the same time..... Great vet with a championship ring that won't a mean a thing to Harden....

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Also, a lot of y'all make it out like Parsons is so super young and full of potential when in reality, he's only 3 years younger than Ariza and actually a year older than Ariza when he played with the Rockets the first time. I'm pretty sure no one after Ariza's first season here gave him a pass saying "oh he's still young and full of potential".

The fact of the matter is, players like Ariza and Parsons, good wing players whose production is entirely dependent on their shooting is readily available in the NBA. On any given free agency or trade market, there is a Parsons or an Ariza available as long as you're willing to pay the price. Sometimes, you get lucky in the 2nd round and have that production for a few years cheap, sometimes you find someone and pay the market price for them, and sometimes you overpay for them. Rockets started with the first option then opted for the 2nd option instead of the 3rd.

17. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

And don't forget Kelvin Cato!

18. Remii

Remii Member

I wasn't comparing them to us. I meant their team is better than it was now than when they ended the season... And it is...

And I don't care about regular season records. The season starts for me when the playoffs start. You guys judge by regular season play _ I judge by post season play.

George Karl won a lot of regular season games in Denver... So what...

19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I was at that game, it was surreal how Ariza singlehandedly brought Wizards back from a large deficit. It took a Harden layup at the last second to get the win. The whole building went quiet for that last play, and then when Harden scored it erupted. Good times.

Anyway, as you can see in the video, the most frustrating thing was Ariza's ability to pump fake, or make a quick move off the dribble to get open for the three. I just assumed he was a stand and shoot open looks kind of guy, but he definitely has a little more in his arsenal than that.