1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parsons: Sophomore Slump or Exposed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gil, Nov 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Gil

Gil Member

His passing has definitely improved this year & his defense is still above average but man has his shot been way off this year. As of today he's shooting an abysmal 32% from the field and 25% from beyond the arc.

Not going to overreact after only 4 games but I think we may find out why he was a 2nd round pick this year.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

Landry fields effect.

3. bongman

bongman Member

If I am not mistaken, he got PT last year because of his defense, passing and hustle - not because of his offensive skills. Why would our expectations change this year?

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think you are overreacting, it's only been 4 games. If he is still shooting this way after 20 games, then you might have a reason to be concerned.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Saw this on twitter. Rockets No. 2 in NBA in 3-pt attempts, yet 29th in 3-pt%. That won't last. Something else that ought to spark O and shift over time: Rox No. 6 in NBA in FG attempts inside 5 feet yet 24th in % converting those attempts. In other words: yes, Rockets' O needs more movement, less stagnation, but also has to convert higher % of the good looks they're getting.

6. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

By this logic, you're okay with being mediocre this year like last year? Having high expectations every year is not a bad thing and Parson is young so it's expected. Saying the same about someone like Delfino, Scola, Martin,Camby, I can understand. Rockets are trying to progress the last time i checked.

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Its 4 games and you are expecting a 2nd round pick to suddenly become a superstar? Come on people, he is in the game for his defense and occasional scoring, anyone expecting him to put up Granger numbers is delusional.

Parsons was never and has never been able to create his own shot and the fact is our offense is a joke at this point so this argument on his production is a waste.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He looks improved from last season to me. When his shot starts falling on a consistent basis all will be right. Defense, rebounding and assists are all top notch.

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

See my sig. Lin and Parsons can't play together, and them playing together is hurting both their games. The problem is that Rox don't have a good replacement for Parsons at the 3. Delfino and Terrence Jones are both probably still worse than the current Parsons.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

His FG average is right where the entire team is at right now... coincidence??

Offensively, Chandler is going to get involved, and get better shots in the flow of the offense. Right now the problem is not pushing the ball in transition enough, and the ball becoming stagnent early in the shot clock.

Chandler can facilitate the offense much like a traditional PG would, but he's not a guy you can isolate and run plays for. Maybe in the future his shot will improve enough where you can run him off screens for open shots, or he will get stronger later in his career enough to post up smaller players, but right now, that's not his game.

As the team gets in the flow of the offense, gets up in down in transition more, and other players step up, Parsons' game will get elevated within the flow of the offense. I still think he's a very good player, and I already have seen improvement to his game in the preseason that will translate over into the regular season once this team gets going.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

We didn't know before? You're assuming he was always a good shooter.

12. Gil

Gil Member

Wasn't everyone going on about how his shot vastly improved over the summer though?

I'm not expecting him to be Durant or LeBron out there but hitting open shots should be the easiest skill in the game.

He's way below league average at this moment.

13. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Time for the slump 'n' dump?

Parsons for LeBron

14. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Parson needs to hit up Harden for a slump buster. I predict 22/8/6 tonight for our boy BANG!:p

15. jocar

jocar Member

Seems to me he's a little short on confidence right now. Not driving to the hoop, not following teammates' shots to the rim for those putbacks he did so well last year, looking to pass first and hesitant to pull the trigger. I doubt it'll last the whole year. Hoping to see some of this soon
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QUr7glxTqac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. torocan

torocan Member

Once again, sample size...

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

The form on his shot is and has been broken. He may improve some and get back to 33%-35%, but unless he fixes his form I don't think he'll ever be a consistent 36%+ three-point shooter.

He is what he is. Glue guy, plays hard, good defender, unselfish, capable passer, limited on offense.

Remember that he's 24 already. Players usually don't improve a whole lot once they're that age.

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Im sorry but I feel Chandler is not very talented , but he does work his butt off was he an upgrade over Shane and Bud. Yes it has been a while since we have had two quality wings that demand to be guarded instead of always trying to gaurd the other wing because he is better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Parsons is a relatively low-attempts per game guy. These guys can easily fall into apparent "slumps" simply due to chance. Guys like Shane Battier and Chase Budinger have also fallen into "slumps" of 4, 5, 10, 11 games when they haven't really taken that many shots. Guys like Kobe or McGrady would have as many shot attempts in one game as these guys would have in 2, 3 or sometimes even 4 games.

1 person likes this.
  20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

His defense has looked good, passing rebounding and offensive instincts have all improved. He looks fine out there, the numbers will catch up eventually.