1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parsons or Hayward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 2, 2013.

?

Who would you rather have on this team?

1. Neither

4.9%
  2. What's the difference?

10.0%
  3. Chandler Parsons

53.0%
  4. Gordon Hayward

32.1%
  1. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

hayward is better, no question. question? would rockets fans be ok with him shooting mid range Js off screens?

2. dream1222

dream1222 Member

I will take Chandler Parsons

3. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Parsons, but it is a close call. Each is actually a better fit on their respective team than the other.

Both players have gotten better every year and should continue to make incremental improvements.

4. smr6

smr6 Member

We desperately needed Parsons play-making ability last night on and off the ball. I would say that Garcia and Parsons are about a push when it comes to shooting and defense, but what was sorely lacking was Parsons ability to cut, attack the basket, and move the ball.

Lets not get too crazy on Hayward over one game this season. I know he has shown his ability to score in the past but, he had been averaging only 12 points on like 30% shooting for the past week or two according to the Jazz broadcast. He had one good game with a lot of points, Parsons has been pretty consistent on what he has been bringing every game this season.

5. jcmoon

how has been pretty consistent when in the first half of the season he could barely hit the broad side of a barn from three?

6. chandlerbang21

Hayward will be a FA this season, bring him into houston with his cheap contract

7. dje243

dje243 Member

People here underestimate how important Parsons is to this team. He hasn't missed very many games so we don't see it. There are even people who were advocating that Casspi or Garcia start over him. Even when his shot isn't falling he finds a way to contribute greatly to wins. He is integral to this team's success and if we don't find a way to keep him we will be sorry.

8. jcmoon

ok so i assume you'd rather have parsons, chandlerbang? how much would you pay him?

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hayward is a pure scorer. Parsons is more of a playmaker and more versatile

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

His 3 has been inconsistent but he's been efficient from the field otherwise (above 50 FG% for the season) and nearly almost gets us 4-6 rebounds and a few assists per game. Since his 3 pt shot has come back, he's averaging 39% from there for the season.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You cant go wrong with choosing either player. Both are very talented players.

12. smr6

smr6 Member

He had 3 lackluster games in the first 5 and has been hot ever since. So playing well in 15/18 games seems pretty consistent to me.

13. jcmoon

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/6466/chandler-parsons

he's had 9 games at .333 or less. this is not consistent. an 0-5,0-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-5,1-5,1-4...the only reason his percentage is at 39 percent is because he had a 6-6 game followed by a 4-8. He is streaky, not consistent. I'm not sure where you're getting this data of 3 lackluster games followed by a hotstreak.

14. Nook

Nook Member

How the hell is Hayward better "no question"?

Hayward is shooting 40%
    Parsons is shooting 53%

Hayward on 3's is shooting 29%
    Parsons on 3's is shooting 39%

Hayward scores 17 points a game on 14 shots
    Parsons scores 17 points a game on 12 shots

Hayward on 2 point shots is shooting 42%
    Parsons on 2 point shots is shooting 63%

WS% for Hayward is 0.42
    WS% for Parsons is 0.165

Parsons is a better defender and is capable of covering a wider variety of players.

They are the same in AS/TO ratio, rebounds, steals, assists

Please tell me how the hell Hayward is "clearly better".

15. Nook

Nook Member

Hayward is not "clearly" better than Parsons.

Parsons is 25 and Hayward is 23.

Hayward does move well without the ball. However Parsons creates more for others, especially off the break.

Worse teammates does not effect Hayward's 3 point shooting as many of his shots are off of movement.

Omri is playing better because he is being utilized right. For 3 years Morey said that he is not a 3, but a 4.

Nope, Hayward is not a better defender. He is limited physically and by lateral quickness.

Agreed.

Agreed, but he is not a good man defender at all.

His offensive efficency has in part dropped because he is a TERRIBLE finisher. He is shooting 42% from the floor on 2's.

Hayward is not a good finisher in transition, and Parsons is. That is why Parson's shots 20% higher close to the basket.

Both are solid rebounders.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Here's Zach Lowe's evaluation of Hayward that he posted this morning.

also further down

17. pnr

pnr Member

Hayward would do a lot better if he had a better team around him. Parsons benefits a lot from Harden and Howard. I'd say they are similar players and you can't really go wrong with picking either.

18. jcmoon

Did you actually watch the first game we played them, when hayward was repeatedly burning parsons? Haywards defense is better, you could see that last night. he's quicker, on the ball and off.

hayward can handle the ball and drive, can play pick and roll, hayward can move around screens better and pull up for that midrange. can shoot the three. he's not simply a shoot a 3 or miss or drive and finish or dish guy.

Concerning his stats this year, they are a little skewed, being the number one option on the worst team in the conference, he's going to have more contested shots, drawing more defensive attention, without millsap and jefferson. you can't simply give data and say X is better than Y. In that case, jeremy lin and parsons are better than harden given harden's 32 percent 3 point shot this year. They shoot wide open spot up shots.

if hayward were the third option in our offense, lookout. he simply has more tools.

you must be a girl. you are in love with parsons.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Parsons
    24 pts (8/14 FG, 2-3 3PT), 12 reb, 6 ast, 1 blk (+11 in +/-)

Hayward
    15 pts (7/16 FG, 1-5 3PT), 5 reb, 2 ast, (-19 in +/-, worst in the game)

yeah he really burned him

20. jcmoon

go watch the game. don't just pull up stats, i watched the whole thing. stats don't tell much of on the ball - 1 on 1 defense - or rotational defense.

it's like saying hayward is a 29% shooter this year from three == he's a bad 3 point shooter. He shot 42 percent last year playing with millsap and jefferson. parsons launches wide open 3 point shots or layups...does this make sense to anyone out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNp8CjxhqE

And just as i thought, as in yesterday, hayward was guarding harden. parsons didn't score anything on hayward. he scored all of his points -- as usual -- on 3 ball kickouts, with the defense rotating.

#120 jcmoon, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013