1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parsons or Hayward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 2, 2013.

?

Who would you rather have on this team?

1. Neither

4.9%
  2. What's the difference?

10.0%
  3. Chandler Parsons

53.0%
  4. Gordon Hayward

32.1%
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He will never be a star. He is Mike Miller or Iggy. Someone that is good enough to get a big contract, and everyone will argue about if he is overpaid for the rest of his career. He can create his own shot around a screen but he's not elite and doesn't command a double team even when he is hot. At least Iggy is an elite defender.

2. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

Parsons can play off the ball and is the best catcher on the team, who facilitates the rockets offensively, especially in transition. we really don't need another wing player who likes to handle because we got the "magnificent harden" and swift jlin already, who are both equipped with more well rounded skillets than Hayward.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Anyone can be the playmaker in the Rockets offense. Hayward can play off the ball too which jlin struggles with. The question shouldn't be Parsons or Hayward?, but how can the Rockets get both?

Bev, Harden, Hayward, Parsons, Howard.

All bases covered on both ends of the floor with that lineup. 3P shooting to create spacing on the floor for Harden-Dwight. On defense Hayward has the ability to guard PGs but is also the Jazz's defensive stopper on guys like Durant. It just makes it a little bit harder for opposing teams to switch the one on one matchups.

4. dragician

dragician Member

Chandler is by far more good looking that Gayward.

I'm sure the Jass fanz were salivating to see Parsons last night.

5. Tuonela

Tuonela Member

Hayward is clearly better than Parsons. The gap is not wide but not small as well. This is coming from a guy who probably watched more Jazz games than almost everyone here. Jazz is my second favourite team (blasphemy!) because they have second best Turkish player in the NBA.

My reasons
    1- Parsons is older.
    2- Parsons is not bad at creating for others but Hayward is basically a point-forward. They both are very good off the ball.
    3- They both were very good 3pt shooters while Hayward was playing with worse teammates.
    4- This is not about Hayward putting numbers in a bad team, they were not a bad team until this year. People who think like that also should think about how teammates make you better (see Omri Casspi effect).
    5- No matter how much asked offensively, Hayward always plays hard on defense and he is a better defender than Parsons.
    6- They both are very athletic but Parsons' length gives him an edge for this team as he can play small ball 4.
    7- Hayward is very good PnR handler.
    8- They have one of the worst PG rotations for the last 2-3 years. This year it is definitely #1 worst. Haywards' offensive efficiency is gonna drop a lot.
    9- They both are very good in transition offense. Hayward has some crazy blocks in fast breaks.
    10- I think Parsons is the better rebounder.

6. okguy456

okguy456 Contributing Member

ha...

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wouldn't read too much into this match up because CP needed to break out desperately.

8. dragonz

dragonz Member

Parsons is like the popular kid in the class, Hayward is like the weird one, no comparison.

9. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Parsons is better. Bigger, stronger, smarter, glue guy, run the break better. I think Kawai is a bit better tho.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hayward, much more potential and already on par with Parsons

Kawhi
    Hayward
    Parsons

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hayward is better. And why was he running he point?

12. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

No. Chandler wins the hair war. That's all. If Hayward gets a new cut, puts in some styling products, watch out.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Did you see their actual PGs?

Neither did I.

14. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Hayward's been their point guard/ point forward since last season.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I duno if Hayward will be better but the problem with him is he falls into what I call the "Caron Butler/Matrix/Iggy" category, someone who's between a star and a role player. And this is bad because guys like him almost always end up overpaid, people pay him with the expectation he's gonna get even better and then he reaches his ceiling immediately.

If I would compare the two, I'd say Parsons is like Battier and Hayward is like Iggy. No question Iggy had higher upside but at the same time he was being paid 12M a year, and as a result was actually a detriment to his team. Battier was someone everybody slept on and only made 7M a year, but his skills complemented a team with a franchise star already in place. Same thing with Parsons, his ability to be elite at 3 spots on the floor and his on court chemistry with everyone makes him way more valuable to us than Hayward. Plus, he did the ultimate team move, he was a part in convincing Dwight to come to Houston. DH is better than Hayward, Parsons and Leonard combined so yeah, Parsons wins.

1 person likes this.
  16. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

Haha! I'd take a team of 5 kawhis any day. Love his game.

17. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I respectfully disagree. It is far easier and the opportunities are far more frequent for a good young player to put up good or even great numbers on a crap team, such as Utah has been and will be for the next couple years, as opposed to being a key contributor and constantly improving young player and glue guy on a very young, but not crappy, and actually a frighteningly talented playoff team that just added the #1 Center in the NBA and has young, improving pieces at all the starting positions, and most of their key reserve/bench positions.

I'll take Parsons, and since we can extend him and go over the cap to do so, I see Parsons as a long term fixture on this team, and light years ahead of Hayward in team value, even if their on-court output is basically the same.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Hayward is better than Parsons now and will be much better than him in the future.

And Chandler might be my favorite Rockets player.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chandler "Pump Fake" Parsons

Runnin' away with the vote. :grin: