1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Papanikolaou leaning toward two-year deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 15, 2014.

1. newAge_Rockets

I don't care about last week, I can't wait for basketball season to start. It's gonna be fun to watch our new guys go out there with our returning core of Harden, Howard, and TJ. I'm sure we'll find some diamonds in the rough!

So we got Nick Johnson, the combo guard version of Parsons.
    Pappy is the small forward version of Chandler Parsons.

2 Parsons is better than 1. Much cheaper too! :p:p

2. chandlerbang21

Need to see defense , midrange, jumping ability etc etc. Need more on this guy

3. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

He shot 52% from 3 two seasons ago...that doesn't just happen. Obviously has legitimate three point ability. But he'll need more than that to crack the rotation. Or maybe not, at this point.

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

I've been watching this guy play for years. He has a real passion for the game. He leaves it all on the floor. Really excited that he's going to join the Rockets. For anyone who is less familiar with him, the guy is a player no doubt.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lmao where is CoachBadlee when you need him

6. hvic

hvic Member

Majority of Euro league players are soft and they need time for the transition into the nba

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Lol so only shots at the rim and 3's? how does. Morey do it

8. newAge_Rockets

Eyyyy Joey Dorsey!

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

that's when this CBA is up. players will want a new deal when the new CBA is in place

10. treeman

treeman Member

None of these guys ever pan out for us. DMo was the best we've found in a long time, and he is the definition of great promise unfulfilled.

I am not going to hold my breath.

11. King901

King901 Member

He has the three ball down, and he cuts to the rim, not too bad but what's his defense like?

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Luis Scola told me that he look okay though.

According to Draft Express he is "rock solid" on defense, but not because of athleticism, rather because of effort and technique -- which, as an old Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier fan, me likey.

13. newAge_Rockets

Ahh, I see that the PG is legend Vassilis Spanoulis. Put him in the game JVG.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

An average athlete with an excellent feel for the game, good fundamentals, and terrific maturity, Papanikolaou's profile may not jump off the page on first glance, but his size, defensive prowess, experience and productivity at the highest levels of European basketball make him one of the most intriguing 1990-born international prospects automatically eligible for the 2012 NBA Draft.

Standing 6'8 with a solid frame, Papanikolaou has excellent size for a NBA small forward, though he sees time at both forward spots for the Euroleague champions Olympiacos. He runs the floor with purpose, and is able to play above the rim when he has a head of steam, but is otherwise an average athlete. He isn't explosive from a stand-still and his limited agility makes it difficult for him to create his own shot in one-on-one situations, but his non-stop motor and willingness to initiate contact allow him to make some plays by virtue of his physical tools in the European game.

On the offensive end, Papanikolaou spends most of his time out on the perimeter, even if quite a few of his possessions end at the rim as a result of his off-ball movement. Not a terribly assertive scorer, Papanikolaou functions as a complementary player, seldom forcing the issue and making smart reads playing off his teammates. He's turned the ball over just 30 times so far this year in nearly 1000 minutes, about once for every 40 Euroleague minutes he plays.

Nearly half of Papanikolaou's touches come in spot-up situations according to Synergy Sports Technology, and the lefty has been a sporadic catch and shoot player in recent seasons. He is the definition of a rhythm shooter, seldom making a contested shot or a long jumper that he doesn't simply step into, but he's knocked down 39% of his catch and shoot jumpers this season. Showing a quick release and solid shooting mechanics, he's been a little streaky at times this year, making just 34% of his 3-pointers on the season. Considering how heavily his contributions offensively revolve around this part of his game, he'll need to continue improving his consistency to reach his full potential in the European game or otherwise, but his showing this past weekend at the Final Four was clearly a major and very visible step forward.

Apart from his touches as a spot-up shooter, most of Papanikolaou's shots come right at the rim. He isn't adept at creating his own shot, and is only a decent ball-handler, even if he does occasionally push the ball up the floor himself or beat his man and get to the rim with a straight-line drive. Extremely active off the ball, Papanikolaou proves to be a capable finisher at the rim, using his body well and showing good touch. He struggles to finish over and around athletic shot-blockers, but gets the job done in the paint at this level with timing and smarts, converting 60% of his field goal attempts inside the arc.

Defensively, Papanikolaou is rock solid at the Euroleague level. By no means is he a lock down defender, but he competes every possession, always boxes out, makes some plays in the passing lanes thanks to his anticipation, and does a terrific job pestering his man off the ball. Spending time defending both forward spots, Papaniolaou is better suited to defend the three, as his lack of size and tremendous physical strength can be a challenge for him in the post. His average lateral quickness may render him slightly less effective at the NBA level, but his fundamentals and basketball IQ would surely help him hold his own against better athletes. He's also a solid rebounder, particularly on the offensive end due to his activity level.

One of the most mature and polished players in this year's group of automatically eligible international prospects, Papanikolaou is by no means a glamorous player. He may not be an aggressive enough scorer for certain NBA coaches, but his size, defensive prowess, ability to accept and fill an important role, knack for playing low-mistake basketball, and reputation as a winner at every level he's played at make him one of the most intriguing role-playing prospects available in the second round.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kostas-Papanikolaou-6147/

15. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Ariza + Papa. I would have been disappointed if thats what you told me about the results of FA last week. But now I'm all like:

[​IMG]

Stoked about Papa.

1 person likes this.
  16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

This report is from May 2012. So hopefully he's improves in some of the reported areas of weaknesses.

17. newAge_Rockets

You really think Kostas is thinking about getting that next big contract, before he ever even plays in a game? I think it's all about Morey and his cap flexibility.

18. dje243

dje243 Member

Apparently pretty good but not elite. He's an excellent positional defender but lacks the athleticism to be a shut down guy. I think this guy is going to work out well for us. They're not bringing him over for the vipers. Ariza, Troy Daniels, and Pap... Bombs away.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Still the golden goose to our eternal Euro-chase seems to be Sergio Llull. Anybody think we have a shot to bring that guy over?

20. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Guys the kid is only 23. He's gotten multiple MVP awards from all star games and euro league. Not saying he's legit but 52% 3-point shooting isn't a fluke. He could be our sharpshooter that we've needed. He like a younger, cheaper, Greek Parsons with a better shot and doesn't botch lay-ups. I like this guy. Becoming a big fan of his.