1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pandemic Work from Home Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamFisher, Mar 17, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

WebEx is so bad man. I actually find running the clunky app is slightly better than the browser version but not by much.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Everybody needs one of these.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just gonna go ahead and say it. People whining about being forced to work at home who don't have young kids... y'all can go ahead and stfu. Getting tired of talking with coworkers who are single/childless that are talking about how it's such an inconvenience to not make a shitty commute because, well, that's just what they've always done; and this change has made them do a thing differently. And wah, wah, wah.

4. donkeypunch

Maybe youre just not creative enough to create some quiet time for yourself. This poster on reddit got it done for only $3. Last kid with a dollar still on the wall, gets to keep it.

[​IMG]

ima_drummer2k and CCity Zero like this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

4 and 1 year old so it wouldn't work. 4 y/o doesn't give a damn about money and the 1 y/o would try to eat it.

I deal with it in a healthier, more mature way. I drink every night.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You may have a few people without kids complaining about working from home. It feels like everyone with kids are complaining about them while working from home.

Haymitch likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

that's true. we are.

8. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

#168 Buck Turgidson, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I had practice during Harvey when the office got flooded. I love working from home even with young kids (the home-schooling is tough but still, on a temp basis, it's fine). And I'm so used to "please hold", muted. It's basically a norm for everyone in conference call now-a-day and everyone understands the brief interruption.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Zoom (w/ pw protection) > Team > WebEx > Skype for Busn (maybe SfB is a bit better than WebEx)

NewRoxFan and ima_drummer2k like this.
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I have to say working from home is driving me crazy. I work less, and seem to be more productive, but my schedule is more sporadic. I hate not getting up, showering, driving 8 mins to work. I miss my physical office.

Yes I realize I could still implement a routine at home, but I don't think I have the discipline to do that.

I also hate, hate, hate not having access to a gym. I have minimal equipment at home, and I have to get extremely creative. For those in my position, the Nike Training App is amazing and they have complimentary access to premium during the stay-at-home orders. The problem is that I am nursing a back injury, and I was in a great routine before all this happened going to the gym 2 hours/day for pool walking/running and physical therapy. Unfortunately all that progress was thrown out of the window overnight. I've also lost about 8-10 lbs since the start of this (which IS NOT GOOD). It's likely almost all muscle mass, and I was not overweight to begin with, so that has been insanely frustrating.

I find myself on my computer listening to sports radio all day while I work. It helps pass the time okay I guess.

I am really looking forward to things returning to some level of normalcy, but I try to keep things in perspective and be happy about the fact that I am still working and getting paid. Many people in my industry have not been so lucky.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'll jump on the complaining bandwagon also. 1 year old that is figuring out how to walk and is curious about everything. Already got her hands on my keyboard and typed a bunch of nonsense on my teams chat when I looked away for a second...

But there have been huge pluses. Spending more time with my family and I think I've matched my productivity working from home and a huge part of that is I don't feel confined like in my cubicle. I'm still in a small room but being able to take 5 mins to lay on the couch or step outside has done wonders.

Amiga and donkeypunch like this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think your preference for working from home is directly proportional to your commute time. If I lived 8 minutes from my office, I would probably miss going in as well. But I live 45 minutes from my office, so I love not spending that 1 1/2 hours in my car every day. Back in my single days, I lived in the heights and worked on Allen Parkway. It was NICE. Kingwood to Allen Parkway, not so much.

Last month, we went way over our wifi limit (for the first time ever) and used less that 1 GB of our 6 GB mobile date limit, so I've started running everything in the house that I can on my mobile hotspot instead of wifi. Kind of a pain because I'm constantly having to turn off wifi and set up my hotspot on all these devices all day long. Wish it would just stay on even when you're not using it. But I've gotta try to even things out a little this cycle. Suddenlink has a grace period that they don't charge you the first time you go over your limit, but that won't be the case next cycle.

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah if I worked an hour away I would hate that, and if it was a job I was serious about I would move closer.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Also working from home...

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My work from home desk just got more elaborate with one more Ergotron arm. [​IMG]

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Verbal agreement a new multi unit account this morning, which should keep me from getting laid off.

Only problem is they didn’t know how to use DocuSign so I have to go to their restaurant in person.

It’s not the virus I’m afraid of... out of boredom I dyed my hair rose gold and I currently have a creeper mustache. I had never grown one before and wanted to see how it would look....

The stache stays!

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I loveeeee working from home. Irish coffees on the daily...

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Signed that b****

20. donkeypunch

Hell yeah. So you taking CF on a field trip to Xerobulls zoo and buying us all popsicles to finish off the day?

Xerobull likes this.