1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Palo Duro

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HouStu_Rocket, Oct 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I live in Lubbock for school and I'm wanting to go visit Palo Duro Canyon (aka The Texas Grand Canyon)

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for spots/food/experiences when I go? Anybody have any stories they want to share about Palo Duro?

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Peyote

amirite?

3. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Went there when I was about 12. It was pretty cool. Climbed up into a cave overlooking a major part of the area. Can't recall much else, that was a while ago.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Lighthouse trail is really nice. It's the iconic trail. Pretty simple trail, majority of it flat land. Towards the end, you'll climb up a bit but nothing difficult.

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Don't be coy, bobmarley. Give the man a hookup.

6. Buck Turgidson

When are you planning on going? Soon? Fall/Winter/Spring?

Camping/moteling/what?

Bunch of dudes or are you taking a ladyfriend(s)?

Oh hell, do I have stories.

7. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Ha! Heading up there tomorrow morning. Just going with my mom. We've been talking about going there for a while and we both just found time.

I just wanted to know all the great spots to go. Lighthouse trail looks good

8. Buck Turgidson

Hit the Panhandle-Plains Museum in Canyon, it's close to on the way to the park entrance. It's got history, geology, Georgia O'Keefe paintings and all kinds of art, I highly recommend it.

As far as hikes go, just ask the guys at the check-in station, things always change depending on weather, traffic, etc....

The next time you have the time and the appetite, go to Buffalo Gap outside of Abilene and hit the Perini Ranch Steakhouse, it is the best steakhouse in Texas, which pretty much makes it the best steakhouse in North America.

Not many people know that Palo Duro is the second largest canyon in the United States. It is pretty damn badass.

9. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

As Buck said, the Panhandle-Plains Museum in Canyon is an interesting place.

OP, Next time, when you go camping go with some friends in the summer, you make it a really fun weekend.

Also, if you're into photography you can get some really cool scenes.