1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Palestinian Freedom Riders Attemtping to Ride Jewish Only Buses in Israel.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 15, 2011.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I suspect that this non-violent action will be brutally suppressed. "Peace or Apartheid" as Jimmy Carter said.

From the progressive Jewish site discussing the Palestinian/Jewish conflict. mondoweiss.net

Follow the Freedom Rides
    by Adam Horowitz on November 15, 2011
    Like 0 Retweet 10.

Watch live streaming video from freedomriders at livestream.comThe following statement was made at the start of the Freedom Ride protest this morning:
    My name is Hurriyeh Ziadah. I am the media spokeswomen for the Palestinian Freedom Rides campaign. Thank you all for being here today.

Fifty years ago brave African American civil rights activists challenged the racist and unjust laws of Jim Crow by boarding buses to the segregated South, thereby embarking on a campaign of civil disobedience and direct action.
    In less than an hour, Palestinian activists, taking inspiration from the Civil Rights Movement’s Freedom Rides, will embark on a similar civil disobedience campaign to challenge Israel’s regime of colonial Apartheid in Palestine.
    Although the tactics and methodologies differ, both white supremacists and the Israeli occupiers commit the same crime: they strip a people of freedom, justice and dignity. In undertaking this action we do not seek the desegregation of settler buses, as the presence of these colonizers and the infrastructure that serves them is illegal and must be dismantled. As part of our struggle for freedom, justice and dignity, we demand the ability to be able to travel freely on our own roads, on our own land, including the right to travel to Jerusalem

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Whaaaaa?!? 'Jewish Only' buses? First time I've heard of this. Tell me this is a joke.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There aren't jewish only buses.

Thread title is false.

4. Hou_rox

Hou_rox Member

"In the 1960s U.S. South, black people had to sit in the back of the bus; in occupied Palestine, Palestinians are not even allowed ON the bus nor on the roads that the buses travel on, which are built on stolen Palestinian land."

http://palsolidarity.org/2011/11/palestinian-freedom-riders-to-ride-settler-buses-to-jerusalem/

I'm not sure how accurate this article is (I just google-searched something similar to the subject). Anyone care to verify this?

5. Mr. Clutch

They let them on the bus.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

First time I have heard of this. If partially true (I do not believe there would be such a thing as "Jewish only buses", but there might be restrictions imposed on Palestinians), could be a security measure due to past bus bombings. In an ideal world, this would not be necessary and would not exist.

7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/15/palestinians-protest-racist-bus-policy

So it appears to be more of a security measure more than anything else.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That's not the whole story. The issue isn't the buses. The issue is that certain highways and roadways in Palestine are off limits to Palestinians. Settlements are linked to Israel and other settlements by roads that only Israelis can use. As a result, Palestinians are forced to go through some rather inane routes to get anywhere. Also many checkpoints are also off limits to Palestinians.

So for example, a Palestinian from Bethlehem that goes into Israel can't come through the Bethlehem checkpoint. (at least when I was there) It was off limits and instead the Palestinians were forced to go through a checkpoint several miles to the South that was smaller and out of the way.

As a foreigner it was convenient to travel in the West Bank. Many of the highways are quite good and make it easy to get around but Palestinians instead have to go through smaller roads that are slower and in some cases poorly maintained.

There are buses that traverse the Israeli roads (and consequently stop off in settlements) that Palestinians technically can't use because they can't go in settlements.

The bigger issue isn't the buses. It's the fact that Israel has built a parallel system of infrastructure for a very small group of people.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Rosameesa Parks

[​IMG]

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

EVERYTHING is a "security" measure in Israel...

11. Mr. Clutch

I wonder why

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

All of them were arrested BTW. Thank goodness. I feel much safer now.

Now I better put on my Thor necklace. I don't want any giants to eat me.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Do those people blow buses up because of their nationality or because they are terrorists? Is their motivation nationality or is it hatred?

With this reasoning Germans wouldn't ever be allowed to leave their country, no? They murdered the equivalent of half of all Jews today. Was it because they were German or was it because they were Nazis?

Oh wait, I forgot, the countries who passively watched Germany engage in the holocaust forgave them, as did Israel, with whom Germany now has a massive trade relationship. All fixed. I can't wait for Palestinians to be afforded this same opportunity to make amends with Israel.

For those who don't believe it's true, Israel is gender and race segregated buses to illegally occupied Jerusalem, it's building light rail directly from Jerusalem into illegally occupied settlements which facilitates the transfer of illegal settlers. There are plenty of examples to choose from:

As for the buses, if you watched the video, you would see what the rule is: unless you work for an Israeli, you're not allowed on certain buses, even after discovering he is unarmed.

I love the use of the word "ideal" though, that was hilarious lol thanks. A ban on Palestnians without work permits. I'd like to see them ban those with work permits as well. Guess why that hasn't happened?

There is a reason Israel is flooded with so many security concerns. They have been continuously stealing land, all the water, money and dignity from Palestinians since they won the war and now time is running out. Once borders are established, no more stealing. What will Netenyahu tell the settlers? There aren't enough Israelis in the world to fairly police their currentsecurity concerns. Therefore they resort to such tactics, just to be able to control an uncontrollable situation.

If this was a security concern, they wouldn't let the Israeli participants from the protest (who filmed the whole thing) go wherever they want and do whatever they want. Surely, they are collaborating with a security threat, so they must be security threats as well? Not even a question. They didn't even check their ID's, just identified them as people whom they don't need to ask for ID.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

DAMN THOSE KOCH BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Really don't understand why Jews and Arabs don't get along. They both like hummus, and are both rather hairy peoples. They should ride the same bus and stuff.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

The premise of this thread is totally ridiculous. If the Palestinians laid down their arms tomorrow there would be peace and two states in Palestine, if Israel laid down their arms tomorrow they would be driven into the Mediterranean Sea. Why some of you do not realize this is beyond me.

1 person likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What you've said is ridiculous. There are laws that discriminate against Palestinians that have zero to do with Israeli security even in the slightest.

Israel has started several conflicts with it's Arab neighbors.

Various members of Netanyahu's party and Bibi himself have said in the past they would never accept a Palestinian nation next to Israel even if they were totally peaceful.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think anyone is asking Israel to lay down its arms.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Enjoy Reading