1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Paging Bob McNair] Ravens release Offensive Coordinator Jim Fassel

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Oct 17, 2006.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I hope the Texans at least give Fassel a sniff, the guy was basically fired because Billick wanted more control of the offense, not that Fassel sucked.. SIGN HIM NOW

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2629319

ESPN.com news services

BALTIMORE -- Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick has fired offensive coordinator Jim Fassel and will take over the play-calling for the Ravens offense.

Billick said it was difficult for him to let Fassel go, saying he has been "a valuable and loyal coach to me." However, he added, "clearly, in order for us to expand on our 4-2 start we have to have more offensive productivity."

"There was no single incident, no single episode, nothing specific that brought about this change," Billick said of the decision to dismiss Fassel, a close friend. "Something dramatic needed to be done."

But he would not go into what finally sparked the decision.

"It serves no purpose to go back and revisit any particular reason why this has been brought about so I'm not gonna do it," Billick said.

Fassel told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the change had been brewing for some time. He said the question of who was running the offense -- Fassel or Billick, himself a former offensive coordinator -- contributed to its lack of success.

"Everywhere I've been, I've gotten the offense up and running pretty fast," Fassel told Mortensen. "It didn't happen here and the reason I believe is that I wasn't in full control."

"This has been building for quite a while and finally I went to Brian last week and said, 'Look Brian, you've always run a good offense and I've always run a good offense, but the bottom line is somebody has to be in charge. Somebody has to pull the trigger and it can't be two guys,'" Fassel told Mortensen.

"Brian was very good about this. He told me, 'You're right. My job's on the line and the only way I can deal with it is if I take control of the offense.'"

When asked whether the Ravens were running his offense, Fassel told Mortensen "There's a big dfference between being a play-caller and running your offense. Calling plays doesn't matter, it's who's structuring that thing."

Fassel was in his second year as the Ravens' offensive coordinator after serving a season with the team as a senior consultant to the offense.

He previously served as head coach of the New York Giants from 1997 to 2003, guiding the Giants to two NFC East titles, a conference championship, an appearance in the Super Bowl and a wild-card playoff berth.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'll take Kubiak's offense over Fassel's any day of the week. We just need the horses to make it work.

3. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'd trust Fassel to work with Carr over Kubes any day of the week.

Its pretty obvious the Kubiak offense isn't going to go very far with Ron "Matrix" Dayne plodding into the line and hopefully falling forward every time.

Fassel knows what he's doing. Get him here asap.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like Jim Fassel...Not sure what role he could have here as we don't want to change horses midstream...

He'll land somewhere...

5. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Probably in Arizona. Didn't they axe their OC late last night or early this morning?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dennis Green, one of the pioneers of Walsh's west coast offense, can still call plays.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Fassell sucks.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Hiring a guy doesn't mean we're firing our guy... just get him under contract.. he is a quality NFL coach and we need him on the staff, in any capacity.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The only way Kubiak would let Fassel come in to coach the offense is if he was fired.

10. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Can Fassel make us tackle better much less tackle at all? Can Fassel block on the line to create holes for our lumbering backs or pass protect? Furthermore, Fassel did not really show much as a head coach with the Giants as well even with Tiki.

Cant really agree with this idea. Sorry, this would make no sense whatsoever.

Change for the sake of change is foolhardy. Make changes that will accidentally improve your team. This one will not.