1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging BimaThug

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. do work son

do work son Member

would you rather send the farm for Lawson... or...

trade Papanikalou and Jones for Wilson Chandler? then use MLE to bring back smith and mcdaniels

Beverley/Johnson/Prigioni
    Harden/Brewer
    Ariza/Chandler/Dekker/McDaniels
    DMo/Smith/Harrell
    Dwight Capela

could still trade dekker harrell prigioni terry and a pick to get another point guard somewhere. whether it be darren collison or whomever.

is this a possibility?

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I absolutely think KPap will be traded at some point either this summer or during the season.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

i agree. I think Morey is accessing his trade value right now. I think he has higher value though when his contract is not guaranteed right? It goes guarantee first week of October I think.

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Papanikolao is actually a great playmaker but got injured which set him out of the rotation. He is also a gritty and crafty player and has a Carlos Delfino quality to him that I really like. Wouldn't mind seeing him in that second unit with Brewer, Smith and Capela where he plays more of a point forward role. That being said, he will probably be moved.

5. benchmoochie

that injury was unfortunate. i thought he was really putting it together. i think the extended nba 3 point line threw him off from distance though. if he ever could develop a consistent outside jumper he would be dangerous.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets wouldn't need to involve Terry in a deal for Lawson, who I think is very attainable (especially after Sacramento signed Rondo). It'll all depend on (1) if the Rockets' front office like the fit there; and (2) what Denver's asking price is.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

BATNA: Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement. denver doesn't have much of it when it comes to Lawson, who teams view as a malcontent, and who's market is starting to reflect that, and who they have to move given the locker room problems. Houston is in good position to get over on this deal. In Morey we trust!

8. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

How do we rank assets at Rockets' disposal?

T.Jones
    K.Pap(non guaranteed contract)
    2016 first round pick
    S. Dekker
    2015 MLE

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jones
    Sergio no-show
    Gentile
    2016 draft pick
    Nick Johnson
    K Pap salary dump

No Dekker

10. benchmoochie

The rockets also have Portland 2017 second round pick. Doubt they trade that but it could be decent given they are rebuilding.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If we did get Lawson, who starts? Sorry, that should really be in a different thread.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not sure. My first thought is that I would want Lawson running with the 2nd unit to make sure there was a playmaker and scorer on the floor when Harden is not. Having an extra play maker could sure help to keep hardens minutes below 35 a game.

But I also think Lawson should get plenty of time running with James to keep him from having to carry the load so much of the time while he is on the floor.

Personally I would be open to either but running a 3&D point guard like Beverly with Harden and more of a play making and scoring point guard while he is on the bench seems to make more sense to me.

It would be good to try and keep Pats minutes below 30 a game IMO in order to keep him at his defensive best when he is in the game.

13. jch1911

jch1911 Member

So could we
    1) Give whole MLE to F Josh Smith
    2) Organize 3 team trade (L.A. Clippers, Houston, Sacramento):
    a. Dekker + Prigs + Dorsey to Clippers (Clippers add to their bench)
    b. Jamal Crawford & Darren Collison to Houston (Houston picks up players to strengthen its bench for a championship run plus Crawford comes off the books next year) Also Crawford and Collison are additional rock handlers that the Beard asked for
    c. Kpap + TJones to SAC (SAC clears some salary by cutting Kpap or they could keep him as they need forwards / picks up another UK alum in TJones to please Cousins + traded most of their big men to Philly)
    3) Offer vet minimum for PG Terry
    4) Sign C/F Henry Sims (used to be with Philly as a fellow Hoya I am biased, but he is a skilled big man who can give use a few minutes when needed)
    5) Pray for health and play Cleveland in the NBA Finals!?! Because I think we could :grin:

2015/16 Rox Roster
    Beverley // Collison (SAC) // Terry
    Harden // Crawford (LAC) // N. Johnson
    Ariza // Brewer // Wood
    DMo // JSmoove // Harrell
    Howard // Capela // Sims (PHI)

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Not sure about Lawson. Would he and James want to be on the same team? Remember th "Secretary of Defence " diss?

How about Stuckey S&T for Papa? Papa can play, actually, and may be a nice rebuilding piece for Indy as a stretch PF in West's place.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

There was a TMZ video of Harden and Lawson hanging out in La after we were eliminated from the playoffs.

16. koby1868

koby1868 Member

This is true, they were asking Harden about the Lil B curse. I immediately thought James was recruiting Lawson when I saw that. It would be a great pickup.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bima,

Is there a 'spreadsheet' somewhere that shows who has how much $ left (figuring the presumed $69m cap) as well as Exceptions?

Knowing all that would help keep things in perspective, at least for me.

Thank you! ...x...

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No spreadsheet, but Eric Pincus of basketballinsiders has been updating their salary information on the fly. The numbers aren't confirmed, but it's a good estimate.

Also, I've been following Bobby Marks (former Nets assistant GM), who has been periodically tweeting his estimates for all teams still with cap room and how much. Again, only estimates. Here is his latest tweet:

https://twitter.com/bobbymarks42/status/617523429235888128

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. Appreciated!

20. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Bima or anyone else, sorry for the simple question but it is one I am still not 100% on.

I realize Rockets are working above the cap, and all the exceptions we do (and do not) have available to us, but in one offseason, can a team move from under the cap to above the cap?

For instance, if we had say $6M in cap space, could we sign a new (no bird rights or anything) FA with $6M, be at the cap, then start using our MLE? Or would we have to have started the offseason at or above the cap to to still be able to use the MLE?

For HOU, that'd mean, since we are using early/full bird rights on Brewer and Bev, assuming we had any cap space to begin with after their QO's (and KJ's), could we sign a player with that hypothetical cap space first?