1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging Bima: The Josh Smith Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

From what i've read in the nba's cba faq (the nba one, not larry's), it doesn't seem to indicate that waive/stretching also stretches the offset. I'm not 100% sure but it sure seems worded that way. It says the offset applies to the length of the contract, but the stretch terminology specifically doesn't use the word contract, I don't think that's an oversight.

From what it says, the implication seems to be, his contract is still for 2 more years after this one, just he will be paid that over 5 years, but since the offset applies to the length of the contract, that's over in 2 years.

#21 Aleron, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He played out of position. I think any team with a hole at PF would want him.

3. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

Best scene in the best show ever.

4. Airdough

Airdough Member

The real question is that if he accepts the MLE (which ever version of it is used), how does that affect the McDaniels RFA situation? Could he still be brought back at the QO?

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Good work, justtxyank. While the numbers relating to length of contracts are off a bit, you did a terrific job setting out the set-off issue and its impact on Smith's earning power going forward. Kudos.

Let the record reflect that, as a Non-Bird free agent, the Rockets can exceed the salary cap to re-sign Smith for up to 120% of his prior year's salary. Unfortunately, based on his BAE salary this season, that amount is only $2,492.400. To the extent that Smith would be willing to take the Taxpayer MLE ($3,376,000), I'm betting the Rockets would politely beg him to just take the lower Non-Bird figure.

But your larger point is a good one: People shouldn't just assume that Smith will play here for peanuts again next year (remember, he's getting a total of ~$15 million from Detroit and Houston for this season alone) just because he is happy here right now. In fact, I think the acquisition of K.J. McDaniels was in large part to offset against the very real likelihood that at least one of Smith and Brewer bolt this summer for "greener pastures."

Nope. Stretch provision ALWAYS stretches salary. The team can then elect whether or not to also stretch the cap hit.

Bingo.

I am also not 100% sure on this, but logic seems to dictate that offset would follow the payout and not the original (pre-stretched) contract length. I've also run this by Mark Deeks (a/k/a "Sham" on the BBS), and he interprets it the same way.

1 person likes this.
  6. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Maybe but if they offer him a contract, but it won't be huge. He developed quite the reputation for being bad in Detroit. People don't just forget that because he plays well in a run and gun system coming off the rocket's bench.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Thanks for responding bima. I'll put up a new sheet tomorrow reflecting the options you laid out, but bottom line to me is that if a team offers smith something like 8 million a year then he is gone

1 person likes this.
  8. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

A good way of looking at this is that for every $1 over the vet minimum, Smith will only make .50 cents.

This means that the difference between the Rockets offer and another teams offer is really only half. The non-taxpayer MLE is $5.464 million. This means if a team offers Smith $8 million, he would really "only" have to take a $1.268 million pay cut. If we need $2 million of the MLE to pay KJ, that would mean he'd have to take a $2.268 million pay cut.

I feel like if Smith truly is happy in Houston playing for a contender and with his best friend, he will take the pay cut.

Also, I wouldn't be too surprised if he signed for only one year, which would allow us to have early bird rights for him in 2016/2017, which is also when the cap is expected to increase dramatically.

9. Madano

Forgot to say he'd make .50 MORE.

And this is only up to $11,747,276 if the offset is based on the 2 year vet min, or $12,299,187 if based on Smith's 10+ year vet min.

10. justtxyank

The set off is actually based on the one year veterans minimum.

Also not sure the rockets can use the non tax payor mle. Will really deend on what they do in the offseason

11. Madano

I find it hard to believe the Rockets will make a move to take them that close to the apron. If the Rockets only have the taxpayer MLE, a team would only have to offer KJ $3.4 million and the Rockets would not be able to match. I'm not saying he will receive an offer that high, but it is possible. Morey already stated we will be keeping KJ and I find it hard to believe Morey would just give away the Denver 2nd for a half year rental of a rookie that won't be playing.

12. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Well, the only way DM could guarantee KJ will stay is if he knows Josh Smith will take the minimum amount (or maybe even just the minimum) we could offer or won't resign at all. Otherwise we are extremely vulnerable to lose McDaniels.

13. Aleron

The terms for the set-off say first contract (which i assume means original contract)

It also seems that since they give an example of 2 years left and the stretch to the payout is automatic yet they don't use that

http://www.nba.com/media/CBA101.pdf

pg 13

(1) Right of Set-Off. When a team terminates a player contract with remaining guaranteed salary, the
    team’s liability for such compensation shall be reduced by a portion of the compensation earned by
    the player from any other professional basketball team or teams during each season covered by the
    first contract.

14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

The dude is in his best situation since early days in Atlanta. You would think that would account for SOMETHING. Hope he takes what we can afford him

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The troubling thing is, $8 mil is easily market value for Smoove.

Great work btw.

16. justtxyank

I wish we could get clarification on this. Very interesting

17. Aleron

It also doesn't make much sense from a negotiating point of view, like why would the players association agree to the stretch provision costing players money? The team's get time value/accounting and cap relief, and the players get boned as a bonus?

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Might be a little tricky to bring Smith back tbh... considering that we already have two good 4's with DMo and Jones, and the only reason all three are able to get good playing time right now is because Dwight is out.

19. okeezie

okeezie Member

Not true. The Rockets will play 4 bigs when Dwight comes back. Dwight and the 3 PFs. They will all play. We will not be playing Dorsey or Capela or any other big. Last night the only bigs that played were the 3 PFs. The NBA is moving away from set positions off the bench. We are going to play a 4 that can play over a 5 that can't any day, especially if 2 of those 4's (Smith and Jones) can block shots and rebound. Smith resigning in the future gives us a chance to trade D Mo or Jones in the future and still have depth. Jones and D Mo are both gonna be free agents at the same time and there is no way we can keep both so my guess is one of them will be traded between this offseason and next offseason when they are both RFA.

20. Rockets_Insider

1 person likes this.