1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Packing lunch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by airbulllard, Aug 7, 2006.

1. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

i've gotten tired of eating fast food or spending too much money for lunch. so for about a week now, i've been packing lunch in the morning. i've been eating the exact same thing each time, and i think i need more of a variety.

currently, i make a sandwich with honey baked turkey (1 slice), cotta salami (1 slice), and pepperjack cheese (1 slice). i also take a few chip-a-hoy cookies and a few pringles.

just wondering if anyone here packs lunch too (probably not), and if you have any sandwich or lunch snack favorites..

low-cost would be nice

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

wheat bread
    salami and turkey
    pepper jack cheese
    lettuce
    tomatoe
    onion
    pickle.

no cookies or chips. just fruit or bacon.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I need to start doing the same, but I'm a lazy ass.

4. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

Haven't done this in a while but I need to start.....Do they still make Lunchables? Those were always nice, then just add whatever extra stuff ou want.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've gone the college kid route and have been eating the ramen cups every other day for the last week or so. I'm going to start bringing in healthier stuff like salads and what not, as well.

Hot pockets always work nicely as well. My co-worker at some jambalaya the other day. I actually bought some of those red beans and rice Zattarans pouches as well to bring to work.

It really is amazing the money you save if you don't eat out for lunch every day of the week. Minimum $30 for me. I'm going to try to shy away from buying anything at work this week. Except I'm going to have to walk over to Sonic to grab the new breakfast burrito one day since our supervisors are gone this week.

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

What a coincidence. Last night I decided to start packing my lunch from now one.

Going to consist of:

wheat bread
    various lunchmeats
    pickle

and a handful of Sunchips.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Getcha some of those bags of tuna (not cans)....like a dollar apiece at Randalls. I pack one of those, some wheat thins, yogurt and fruit usually. Sometimes a sandwich, sometimes a salad.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I usually eat leftovers for lunch. If there's no leftovers, it's usually a can of Chef Boyardee. As far as sandwiches go, nothing beats good ole' ham and cheese.

Speaking of packing lunches...

There was a Mexican, and Italian, and a Pollock eating lunch on the 40th story of the high rise building they were all doing construction on. The Mexican opens up his lunch box and finds a burrito. "Another burrito!?", he exclaims, "If my wife packs me a burrito for my lunch tomorrow, I'll jump to my death. The Italian guy opens up his lunch box and finds a calzone. "If my wife packs me another calzone tomorrow, I'll jump to my death!", he yells out. The Pollock opens up his lunch box and finds Polish sausage. "If my wife packs me another Polish sausage, I'll jump to my death!", he screams out.

The next day comes. The Mexican guy finds a burrito in his lunch box, the Italian finds a calzone in his lunch box, and the Pollock finds a Polish sausage in his lunch box, and all three of them jump off the 40th story to their deaths.

After the funerals, the three wives were all sitting around greiving the deaths of their husbands.

"It was the burrito", the Mexican wife explained. "If I hadn't packed him that burrito, he wouldn't have jumped to his death."

The Italian wife followed. "I know it was that calzone. If I hadn't packed my husband another calzone, he would still be alive today."

The polish wife sat there with a puzzled look on her face..."I don't understand it...he packed his OWN lunch that day!"

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I just had one of those on Saturday! Awesome...my new favorite fast food item. They also have a spicy southwest chipotle burger that I'm going to try tomorrow...

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

My company pays for all of my lunches.

Unfortunately, most of the time, the clients want pub food which I hate.

If I was packing, I'd get some pre-made meals from Whole Foods.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I need to pack a lunch more often, but don't...I eat out everyday for lunch and most of the time dinner...

If i cook, I eat leftovers, but otherwise, it gets expensive...

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I need to see that. An abstract impressionist painting eating lunch. Solid.

14. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

seems like the majority of people who pack lunches like to go the healthy route on top of the money saving route. i was only in it to save money, but if i can shed some weight too, that wouldn't be so bad. maybe i'll take on the yogurt and wheat bread rather than my chip-a-hoy and white bread.

a year back, i gave up all fast food for lent. i've done this 3 years ago too, but this time, i wanted to see how much money i saved. so i took my fast food spendings (credit card only) and totaled it up from the month prior. then i totaled the amount of money i used on groceries (credit card only), and matched them up. since i use my credit card pretty much for everything, the results would be relatively accurate.

although these two lent instances were extremely difficult since i'm a college student (so hard not to eat fast food), i saved around 60 bucks. not nearly as much as i thought i would save, but it didn't hurt.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those Smart Choice frozen dinners work pretty well for me. At Walmart I can get most of them for less than $1.50, and they are all pretty good. Most of the time they are not enough and I might supplement with an apple or something, but it is a good way to inject variety in your lunches since they have a bunch of different kinds.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I've packed a lunch for years. For the pre-microwave years (we just got one), I've done the:

Sandwich
    Snack chips
    Fruit
    Dessert

Now that the microwave is here:

Dinner
    Fruit
    Dessert

where Dinner consists of either a Healthy Choice, Marchina (sp), Hot Pocket. Just say no to the Banquet dinners. I'll eat and read the paper, surf the web etc. The only bad thing is that you have some people that come around while you are eating and ask you work questions that can wait. My feeling is that if you need help bad enough to walk down to Chiles for me, then go ahead and interrupt, otherwise, wait until lunch is over or say get with me when you are through. Because if you keep getting interrupted because you are the only person there, you don't get a lunch.

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'm a big chicken salad sandwich type of guy. One of my favorite chicken salads is from target. The rotisserie chicken salad :). YUM

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You mean the filets? These are pretty good - had one the other day. What I thought was weird was that some of the flavors were priced more than others. The lemon pepper one was the cheapest. I don't know if one is enough for me though - I'll need to supplement pretty heavily.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I like the hickory smoked ones. Mix it up with some horseradish and that's a pretty good lunch/snack.

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The filets and the regular old tuna in water in a bag.

Ever since I started getting the tuna in a bag, canned tuna tastes like a can to me.