1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Packaging Parsons and Asik for third star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zoplicone, Jun 9, 2013.

1. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

wanted to add bc forgot to add this, but we had a tiny chance of hope that Yao would come back, and thus that is why we traded Landry (bc we had Hayes who worked VERY WELL for years with Yao), and the trade brought in a more spread offense for Rick the Ruler to use. Martin was brought in to spread the floor, and knock down Yao's kickouts, but it never came to be, and thus, we ended up with Harden! I know everyone says they love Parsons, but I think that we overrate some stars like "Chris Bosh", or "Josh Smith", or even DWill back in the day here on CF. Parsons though is a pick that fell into our laps, and will continue to grow as a player. Let's stop thinking of Parsons as not a star, and look at the replacement he has become for SHANE BATTIER.
    To me that's Morey's man right there. Parsons does more than you see on a stat sheet!

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If you are seriously thinking about trading Parsons (which I think is crazy and almost definitely not going to happen) you have to get a superstar like CP3 back. Not that Chandler is a player of CP3's talent but because his value far exceeds his on the court play or talent level.

Chandler Parsons gives you a fringe all-star type of player that can be a high value core piece that other players want to play with. He does that with having little to no impact on your salary cap. A team with Chandler can go after an addtional star play in free agency with the extra salary cap space from Chandlers contract, which is exactly what makes Chandler such a high value. A team could in essence end up with two fringe / all star players with the price of one.

Most players with Chandler's talent is costing there team about 10 milliona season and making it difficult to menouver around the cap in order to sign an additional all star player.

Chandler is exactly the kind of player a team that is rebuilding needs because he is high talent, high production with out the high salary. Perfect scenario for adding another high level talent.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets are too much a work in progress to make a player like Parsons virtually untouchable.

If there was an opportunity to trade Parsons for a non-superstar like Gordon Hayward I think the Rockets should do it. Hayward has similiar upside, but has better perimeter defense (Rockets' most glaring issue), can defend point guards, and will be a restricted free agent in 2014.

If they can have both on the team, that would be even better.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Problem is, once you've giving West $12 million a year, you're done. There are no more levels after that.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Really? You think parsons is top twenty under 30?

Y'all are sleeping on bosh. Dude sacrificed a hell of a lot to win.

6. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

Asik and Parsons are NOT borderline allstars they are good role players nothing more.

7. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I haven't been on CF much over the past few weeks, so I haven't followed all the threads, but I have a serious question (not trying to be a smart*ss)... in talking about Dwight as a potential 3rd star, who are we collectively thinking of as our 2nd star? I thought our current roster has only 1 star, that being Harden.

8. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

THIS You said it probably better than I.:cool:

9. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Also to add to "crash's" comments are similar to what Bimathug said in his article and then the one that followed "the curious case of CP.."

so yes we are keeping him, and he gives us leverage to wait, and get another star if we so chose to in 2014 or whenever it is bc his cap hit is so low on the salary cap hold, that if we sign say "Lebron" (just saying bc 2014 doesn't mean I think he's coming, but a player that demands the max another superstar, and such etc.) first then wait to re-up Parsons after we already signed a Chris Bosh, or Lebron or whoever we can then go over the cap pay the luxury tax, and have a core of 3-4 All-stars, and then a deep team.

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

These threads are stupid. Yes Morey has been turning the roster over but that was because we were not close to winning.

This being said if you sign Howard and bring most of last year's team back than of course you can justify getting a top ten player in Paul for core guys but this is far fetched.

We should all be happy if we sign Howard and bring bavk either Delfino or Garcia and ship out Robinson and let d-mo and Jones compete for playing time behind Asik and Howard since we will probably always have one of them on the court at all times.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That would be absolutely stupid. Regardless if you think Hayward is better (which I do not) the difference between the two is mostly negligilbe.

Parsons contract is a lot better than Haywards and lends itself to helping the Rockets better improve other areas of their team.

Hayward makes 3.5 million next season and his cap hold the summer of 2014 is over 4.5 million.

The Rockets currently have the option to make Parsons a restricted free agent in 2014 is they want to. Or they have the option to lock him in until 2015.

Parsons only counts less than 1 million against the cap this summer and next.

12. DaveInTheCave

DaveInTheCave Member

The easy, obvious trade to me (assuming Dwight is signed) is LaMarcus Aldridge for Asik+Parsons+DMO+TRob. Portland has zero depth and they lucked into a young star to build around in Lillard.

Portland would get 2 or 3 starters and some bench help, and would only have 44 million in salary in 2014/15, 33 million if you count team options. They could go into the 2014/15 season with the following payers under contract-

Batum- 11.2 Mil
    Asik- 8.5 Mil
    Matthews- 7.2 Mil
    Lillard- 3.3 Mil (Team option)
    Freeland- 3 Mil
    Motiejunas- 1.4 Mil (Team option)
    Parsons- 985 K (Team option)

That's enough space to add a max contract and another solid rotation player.

Asik/Freeland/(Leonard?)
    FA/DMO/Freeland
    Batum/Parsons
    Matthews/Parsons/FA
    Lillard/FA

That's an enticing roster if you're one of the big name free agents in 2014, IMO. The Rockets get a perfect compliment to Dwight and would still have a little bit of money to play around with.

Dwight/G. Smith
    LMA/TJones
    Garcia/FA
    Harden/J.Anderson
    Lin/Beverley

That's a championship-contending roster with a good mix of young and old guys. Portand will probably try to keep LMA as long as they can, but if they're ready to rebuild the Rockets have the young pieces they would want.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FWIW--and I didn't really touch on this point in my prior article(s) on Parsons's contract--but if the Rockets choose to decline their team option on Parsons and make him a restricted free agent in 2014, then his cap hold will actually (likely) be $3,270,004 next summer, as opposed to the $1,833,025 cap hold amount in 2015 if they picked up the option and instead allowed Parsons to hit unrestricted free agency in two years.

The $1,833,025 cap hold amount in 2015 is based on Parsons being a player whose team has full Bird rights and who makes below the league average salary. His cap hold would be 190% of his 2014-15 salary (which will only be slightly above the league minimum salary). Hence, the obscenely low cap hold.

However, if Parsons is allowed to become a restricted free agent in 2014, then his cap hold next summer will be the GREATEST of (a) his "ordinary" cap hold of 190% of his 2013-14 salary, (b) the first year salary in any offer sheet he signs that the Rockets wish to match, and (c) his qualifying offer.

A qualifying offer is the minimum amount that a team must offer to a player (as a one-year deal) in order to make him a RESTRICTED free agent. Under the prior CBA, this would have been a similarly low amount to his "ordinary" cap hold. However, the new CBA changed the rules regarding qualifying offers to young players who significantly outplay their draft status.

Under the new CBA, if a young player taken outside the first half of the lottery meets certain "starter criteria" in either the year prior to his free agency or averaged over the two years prior to his free agency, then he is entitled to a higher qualifying offer. In Parsons's case (as a second round pick), he would be entitled to the same qualifying offer as the 21st selection of his draft class. That player was Nolan Smith; and although the Blazers declined a team option on Smith's contract, had he been under contract until he hit restricted free agency, his qualifying offer would have been the aforementioned $3,270,004 figure.

All that said, I doubt that the Rockets will figure to have much cap room to speak of next summer if they acquire Dwight next month, so this difference in cap hold could be a moot point.

Bottom line: While the Rockets will do whatever they feel is best for the organization--which may very well be taking care of Parsons a year early--I at least thought this BBS should know of the slightly less cap-friendly nature of Parsons's contract if he hits restricted free agency in 2014 versus hitting unrestricted free agency in 2015.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have to agree with the bottom line here.

Harden is the teams best player .... but Parsons is the glue that holds the whole thing together. This team is markedly different without Parsons very complete game at the SF spot.

I wouldn't move Parsons unless Im getting back Lebron or Durant in return ....

15. Mashing

Mashing Member

If we're going to trade those two, it'd have to be for Alridge or Love (Like Aldrige more because of Love's health concerns).

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I hate when everyone is trying to dump our players.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Look, the Big 3 system is flat out broken and impossible to do in the new post CBA era of the NBA, with the salary cap at only 60M max it's impossible to field 12 players at only 15M.

I know everyone's salivating over DH+Harden+X but a 3rd max player just isn't doable in today's NBA. You can't even blame the owner for not going over the tax, going over the tax line prevents you from signing players and the tax will balloon into 3-4 dollars per dollar over the tax line after a certain number of years.

18. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Actually, I think we can do it, and certain teams will continue to be able to do it. The secret? One or two of the superstars/stars must be very young, like Harden, and thus on a much lower (max) contract. It also helps that we happen to have one of the best GMs in the league at finding quality role players on the SUPER cheap. Think how comfortable people are w/ Bev and Parsons and even GSmith on their current contracts. How many other GMs/teams can do what Morey does?

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I'd love to get LMA but don't see why Portland would want Batum and parsons.

Wouldn't it be something if there was a 3 way trade with wolves and blazers.
    Say we get Aldridge and Derrick Williams and Matthews (and sign Howard obviously)
    Minny gets Asik and Batum
    Portland gets KLove Parsons and Royce and another bad contract.

No I don't actually think 3 competing teams would be involved in something like this and yes it does seem Portland would be the winners in that trade. Just getting creative. Don't attack. Was just wondering what people think we would wanna get with parsons and asik with this thread.

20. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I want Love. For me, I don't see why we can't swing love for something like Robinson and Asik as the primary guys. I think Klove would be an awesome fit with Harden and Howard and I think Parsons and Beverley can man the other two spots very effectively if need be, although I have no issues with Lin