1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pacers Tinsley involved in another shootout.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by madmonkey37, Dec 9, 2007.

1. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

INDIANAPOLIS -- More late night trouble for Jamaal Tinsley could present more problems for the Indiana Pacers.

Tinsley and several companions were targeted in a shooting Sunday morning that wounded one person. Tinsley was not injured, but he did not practice on Sunday, the team said.

Jamaal Tinsley

Tinsley

It was the third time since last October that Tinsley has been involved in a disturbance stemming from trips to bars or nightclubs.

"I really didn't know what to think about it," team president Larry Bird told Pacers.com. "I was just hoping everybody was all right. You feel bad any time your players are in some situations, you feel bad for everything that happened. I just feel bad for the organization. We'll get through this, but it's tough right now."

Joey Qatato, identified as the team's equipment manager on the Pacers' Web site, was struck in both elbows as he sat with Tinsley in the player's Rolls Royce. The 48-year-old Qatato was taken to Methodist Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Police said the shooting involved a .223 caliber assault rifle and followed a confrontation when Tinsley and his companions were leaving the "Cloud 9" club.

"We're grateful that it happened at that time of day," Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Sgt. Paul Thompson said. "The streets are pretty bare that time of the morning.

"If it happened during rush hour, God knows what would have happened."

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said Tinsley made an error in judgment.

"Jamaal put himself in a situation that was very, very dangerous," he said. "These guys have every right to go to a nightclub. I have a right, everybody here can be out till 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning.

"It was not a good decision and that's basically it. I'm sure he knows that and I'm sure there will be a lifestyle change for him. But, to the best of our knowledge, he was a victim."

Tinsley's group had arrived at the club in three cars owned by the player -- a Mercedes, a Rolls Royce and a Dodge Charger. Thompson said a group of people gathered around the Rolls Royce and gave Tinsley a hard time about his cars and his earnings.

After Tinsley and friends left, they realized they were being followed by a gray Chrysler and a dark pickup truck, Thompson said.

Instead of going home, Tinsley's group pulled into the Conrad Hotel, a downtown luxury hotel, where the shooting began. Tinsley's Rolls Royce was struck by several bullets, and five bullet holes were found in the Charger, police said.

No one was injured in the Charger.

Two vehicles in Tinsley's group then followed the shooters in a chase, and Tinsley's brother, James, returned fire at the attackers, police said. James Tinsley does have a gun permit, police said.

It was unknown whether anyone was hit, and Jamaal Tinsley was not involved in the chase, Thompson said.

Through 20 games, Tinsley is averaging 14.8 points and career-best totals of 8.7 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game.

"It's very unfortunate, especially considering the type of year he's having," forward Jermaine O'Neal said. "He's our early season MVP. I know this city has been down this road with us before. Let the judicial process play itself out and continue to support us."

Tinsley is scheduled to meet with Bird and O'Brien on Monday morning.

"This is something we can't just put right behind us and walk away from," Bird said. "It's something we'll have to discuss. I don't know how long it'll take and we'll continue to talk about it. We have to make a change, there's no question about it."

Miami veteran center Alonzo Mourning was stern-faced after hearing about Sunday morning's shooting incident involving Tinsley.

"You've got to understand that we all are vulnerable when it comes to putting ourselves in situations where the public has access to us. And if we go out and flaunt and expose our luxuries, there are some jealous people out there who want it and put us in a position where we're targets," Mourning said. "I'm not saying you've got to hide it, but don't be flamboyant. Don't walk into a club with a crowd of people wearing a $250,000 chain around your neck or pull out a wad of hundreds for everybody to see. Pull out a credit card instead. I mean, you're asking for attention and you're asking for trouble."

Sunday's shooting is the latest in a string of violent crimes targeting professional athletes.

Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor died Nov. 27, a day after he was shot in the bedroom of his Miami home in what police have said was a botched burglary.

Over the summer, NBA players Eddy Curry and Antoine Walker were robbed just weeks apart in their Chicago-area homes. In September, two men broke into the home of Houston Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson, tying up the victim and stealing jewelry.

Authorities were called to the hotel about 3:40 a.m. And Tinsley appeared to be the only Pacer player in the group, which included his brother and several friends, Thompson said.

Police still were investigating and looking for the two vehicles. They have made no additional arrests, Thompson said.

Tinsley's agent, Raymond Brothers, could not be reached for comment.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said: "We are gathering details but before we know more, it's inappropriate for us to comment."

Police arrested one person in Tinsley's group, Antoine Toon, for an outstanding warrant in Georgia for dealing a controlled substance.

The latest incident just adds to the Pacers reputation for finding trouble -- or trouble finding them.

The well-documented brawl with Detroit Pistons fans was the start. The Pacers dealt with suspensions of Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson after the 2004 brawl, and Indiana eventually traded both players.

In October 2006, Jackson and some teammates got into a fight with others at an Indianapolis strip club while out for the night during training camp.

Jackson, whom the Pacers traded to the Golden State Warriors, pleaded guilty in June to a felony charge for firing a gun into the air and was ordered to pay a $5,000 fine and perform 100 hours of community service. He was suspended by the NBA for the first seven games of next season.

Tinsley was charged with a felony count of intimidation and teammate Marquis Daniels was also charged with two misdemeanors following a fight at an Indianapolis nightclub in February. Tinsley had also been present outside the strip club when Jackson was charged with firing the gun.

mar1juana possession charges were dropped against forward Shawne Williams, when authorities determined they couldn't prove pot discovered in a sport utility vehicle he was driving was his. However, the Pacers suspended Williams for three games for poor judgment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3147811

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

What is wrong with that guy?? He should be in ATL or Portland if he wants to be all gangsta.

I think the best scenario for him is being traded to Toronto where the number of gun-related violence is significantly (at least what I heard) less than here in the states.

3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Mabye indy is a good target to banish rafer or james to.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Does it ever end with this guy?

5. conquistador#11

does our equipment manager roll around htown in yao's cadillac? if so, that is one hell of a job =)

I think tinsley should stop going to clubs and just hire strippers to show up at his house.

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

But what is he gonna do about his guns? A man needs to use it, ya know.. didn't get it for nothin' :D

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I appreciate why the word 'shootout' was used in the title, but I think it is kind of not accurate. When I clicked on the thread I expected to read about Tinsley and someone else shooting at each other.

Obviously going to clubs in the middle of the night in his Rolls Royce and generally acting like a pimp was an error in judgment, but not of the seriousness of pulling out a gun and shooting at someone.

So in case people don't read the story, someone shot at Jamaal. Not the other way around. I have a hard time putting too much blame for this on Tinsley, or even equating this to Stephen Jackson’s Indiana shooting incident.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

Man, that's wack! It's like getting shot at for being rich and being at a bar. Wrong place wrong time. Sounds like Rafer Alston.

9. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

I think "shootout" is accurate. Tinsley's brother chased down the shooters to return fire.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Apparently you've never been to Indy. There are some sections of that city that are very very scary.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

I used to live in Indy. I know where this bar is at. It's like next to this major shopping area called Lafayette Square Mall. This area is supposed to be fairly safe.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He's having as good a year as he can have (15 and 9 with decent %), but it's this stuff that tells you what kind of a professional he is. He's a bum, will not change, and they need to toss his garbage out if they ever want to right this floundering ship.

You can't buy him out since his deal runs until 2076, but you could swap him to someone starved for a point guard. Denver for Hilario, Clippers for Thomas, Cavs for Jones & Newble, Kings for SAR......do something, but get him out.

In fact, it's well past time they dealt O'Neal and just start from scratch. As long as they keep trying to half-rebuild/half-contend, they're going to be stuck in mediocrity limbo.

Evan

13. poprocks

poprocks Member

Alston for Tinsley!

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

But, Jamaal Tinsley was out of the altercation by then, it seems. So, he only saw half the shoot-out. I'm glad he had sense enough to not go chasing after people. I do wonder, however, if the shooting had some history that has not yet been reported. Not sure why anyone would commit that serious a crime (the attackers, or Tinsley's brother) without some long-term bad blood.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This isn't a case of JT being a bad guy. Its a case of JT being a bored guy in a boring city.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

A whole lot of thugs don't need long-term bad blood to shoot somebody. Especially if the somebody they believe disrespected them happens to be living out their wildest dreams.

Angry, envious thug + spoiled multi-millionaire athlete + altercation = bad recipe

17. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Tinsley is lucky that his brother's shots didn't find their mark, or else right now he'd be asking Ray "Oh Snap" Lewis for legal advice and emotional guidance.

If someone shot at you, then bailed, does that give you the legal right to car-chase them down and fire back w/ intent to kill, and still claim self defense? I'm not a lawyer, but legally, it sounds like thin ice to me. Tinsley is lucky that he didn't get shot, but also lucky that his brother missed.