1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pablo Prigioni waived (keeping Tyler Ennis)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by craguin, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here's the thing though. Harden is officially the starting PG. Officially. It's not just something being talked about. I understand you don't like it and it's not my favorite thing either, but there are not people sitting in the office wondering how to get a starter quality PG - especially considering we have other weaknesses too. If you start seeing things in the real perspective, you can understand these moves. We have the backup PG position - at most 20 minutes a game - where we have Beverley and here we're talking about a 3rd string PG it was either Prigs or Ennis. Meaningless in the grand scheme of things. To put this in bigger perspective, the top 2 teams in the NBA last season now have Kay Felder and Patrick McCaw as 3rd string PG's and their starting PG's are roughly equivalent to Harden in terms of passing and defense.

Whereas you're thinking about how we can make a dramatic improvement in the PG department, the organization - for better or worse - is thinking about achieving a starting quality SG that can defend PG's and hit open shots. They are thinking about upgrading the SF position just as much.

I'm not a big fan of having your best scorer being the main distributor, but I'm also not a proponent of acquiring players who only fit what my ideal system looks like. If this is the system they want, and I don't like it, I now want them to do the best within the system knowing full well this system has worked for elite teams in recent years.

Joe Joe, roslolian and RudyTBag like this.
  2. hvic

hvic Member

Do you remember Johnson in the limited minutes with the Rockets? He had horrible basketball IQ, mediocre passing and barely could shoot.

3. Rocket_Man_2.0

Bobby Brown made the team over Prigioni? What is the world coming to? If I was gm he'd be the first sucka to get cut!

4. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

OK Bobbie buddy time to give it a shot, 'cause we watching u ! Pablo, thanks for being you. Someone will add him for sure. Stability, you want stability ? Man this is practice !

5. Rocket_Man_2.0

Prigioni took care of the basketball, ran the offense well, made the right passes, shot 3pters well and was a good veteran presence in the locker room...that's what the Rockets needed.

What i saw from Bobby Brown in preseason..did not impress me. He seems to be a one of those...imma get mine..me first-run of the mill playground chucker scrubs. You know what i'm talking about...the type of players that look good against d-leaguers and 3rd stringers, but suck against real NBA talent....the T-will type.

And Tyler Ennis is just awful...everything he was advertised to be good at..he sucked at. He couldn't take care of the basketball, poor handles , poor passer, can't finish at the basket, slow footed, nonathletic..can't shoot. What is he good at? Much rather have Beasley...at least he could score. Give the ball to Beasley..he's going to create his own shot, give the ball to Ennis...What is he gonna do with it? Scrub a dub dub. Beasley is much better then Ennis the turnover menace...one the worst trades Morey has made...no value from that trade.

#105 Rocket_Man_2.0, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Nook, Torn n Frayed and D-rock like this.
  6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He was a Rookie?

7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm not broken up about this because if you're relying on Prigioni for actual NBA minutes you're screwed anyways.

That said, I wouldn't have done it this way. I like Pablo. He doesn't make mistakes, and seems like a good dude.

Ennis is fine, he's better than Pablo at some things and worse at others. He's not garbage.

I don't get the Bobby Brown thing, he seemed like a typical D-league gunner and not much more to me. But the bottom line is that without Bev, our PG situation is dire no matter which of the three other guys is here.

8. RCPM

RCPM Member

I understand the move, I just don't like it.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think Bobby Brown makes this roster if Bev does not get injured. Once Bev got injured and thus Gordon got moved from the bench to the starting unit, there was a need for a gunner/scorer off the bench. A Marcus Thornton type. And that is what Bobby Brown is. I doubt he will be on the roster for the full season. He is a stop gap solution while Gordon starts.

And with 1 roster spot left at this point, the team had to decide on either Pablo or Ennis. They each have their plusses and minuses. They are stop gaps.

10. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

11. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Morey: "Shoot, if I waive Ennis that means I traded Michael Beasley for nothing! What to do???"

Sources: The Rockets changed course on point guard release: waived Pablo Prigioni, kept Tyler Ennis.

12. Raz

Raz Member

Why are people still talking about Beasley? We've gone through this when the trade went down. Beasley is utter trash and his departure no loss at all. Morey probably would've waived him anyway.

malakas and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

I saw and helped Prigioni at the DMV Monday the 24th. I vouched for him, that he was indeed a Rocket. I am the only guy
    working there. The other basketball fans (females) are relatively casual fans at best.

I had heard earlier somewhere, probably here, that he may be waived. You hear rumors like that all the time. So, when I was helping him with his license I didn't think he was leaving.

I shook his hand and wished him well on the upcoming season. Nice guy.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sounds like we're going to bring him back after some more roster moves. why else would he get a TX license now?

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

People are strangely obsessed with a guy that shot sub 30% from the field and from 3.

If the Rocket’s success is contingent upon whether Michael Beasley, or Tyler Ennis, or Pablo Prigioni is on this team, then they may as well trade Harden now and rebuild the team from scratch because the team will not win more than 30 games if that is the case.

Raz likes this.
  16. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

He renewed his TX license, so he can drive around legally.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ah i thought he would have had to switch to a CA license last year

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Beasley was gonna get waived even if Houston kept him because we have Wiltjer to replace him. Beasley hasn't exactly set the world on fire while on the Bucks, he didn't even play in their last preseason game because he injured his arm or something.

Nobody should be losing sleep over that Beasley trade, he's like the PF version of Bobby Brown except crazier which makes him way worse.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People said similar things when we kept Jonny Flynn over Jeremy Lin. I know Lin is a whipping boy here. But if Morey kept Lin over Flynn, we wouldn't have to give him the poison pill contract a year later and the universe wouldn't have imploded on the Rockets. Sometimes a bad move is a bad move no matter how insignificant it looks at the time.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The problem is the whole Jeremy Lin thing was far more complex than that. It wasn't a case of the Rockets selecting Lin over Flynn (who was under contract at the time as well), it was a case of Lin being cut in favor of a big man.

The Rockets were actually stuck in a massive predicament after David Stern veto'd the Chris Paul trade. It would have brought Pau Gasol to Houston, which would have also allowed Rockets to sign Nene, and for the Rockets to resign Chuck Hayes as well (who ended up signing a contract with the Kings). After David Stern veto'd the trade, the Rockets were in a terrible position. All they had was Luis Scola, Jordan Hill, Patrick Patterson (who was injured) and Hasheem Thabeet. On the other hand, they had Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Jeremy Lin and Johnny Flynn at the PG. The Rockets signed Dalembert and kept Jeff Adrien, cutting Lin in the process.

In addition, this situation is far different to Jeremy Lin. The Rockets aren't cutting a 22-23 year old guard, they cut a 39 year old player in favor of a 32 year old one. A bad move would be cutting Ennis over Prigioni, only for Ennis to explode in his new team. The Rockets have no fear of that with Prigioni.