1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ozzie Guillen

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MadMax, Jun 21, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Seriously...it's time for Mr. Machismo to open up a big can of shut the flip up.

Yeah, yeah..I know...you love him because he's so animated. Because he's not like the other coaches.

Personally, I'd like to see Mark Cuban and Ozzie team up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2494491

Guillen calls columnist Mariotti homosexual slurESPN.com news services

On Tuesday to reporters, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen referred to Chicago Sun-Times columnist and Around the Horn contributor Jay Mariotti as a derogatory name for a homosexual.

Angry with a recent column by Mariotti critical of Guillen's handling of recently demoted relief pitcher Sean Tracey and upset with Mariotti with columns of the past, Guillen said to reporters when referring to Mariotti before Tuesday's game with the Cardinals, "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] ***."

"I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country."
    Ozzie Guillen
    Mariotti was covering the NBA Finals Tuesday night and was not present to hear what Guillen said.

Columnist Greg Couch of the Sun-Times wrote a column Wednesday in response, calling for commissioner Bud Selig to suspend Guillen for his use of a "hurtful homophobic" term.

Before writing the column, Couch asked Guillen for an explanation. Guillen defended his use of the term "***" by saying this about homosexuals and the use of the word in question: "I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country.''

Guillen said that in his native Venezuela, that word is not a reference to a person's sexuality, but to his courage. He said he was saying that Mariotti is "not man enough to meet me and talk about [things before writing].''

Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games, went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago.

"I called that of this man [Mariotti],'' he told Couch. "I'm not trying to hurt anybody [else]."

Scott Reifert, the White Sox's vice president of communications, offered to apologize on behalf of the organization when approached by Couch.

"To anybody who was insulted or hurt by that comment ... as an organization, we'll certainly apologize," Reifert told Couch.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Guillen...What an idiot...He really does need to shut the f*ck up...

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

but you gotta admit Mariotti is kinda gay.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i agree with Ozzie. he's honest with his answers and i believe he didn't mean it to insult gays. he could have just have called him an *******, same difference.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

society has just become overly sensitive to everything. this is a non-issue that will become much more than it is.

6. MadMax

no..because other assholes wouldn't be offended. what if he had used a racial slur to describe mariotti? same difference.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm going with guillen everytime over mariotti. the guy is prick.

I'll never forget when he had a radio show on the The Sporting News Network he said Texas fired Tom Penders because he wasn't a good ole boy. That he didn't fit in because he was from the East coast.

edit: he could have chosen a better term. but I'm not gonna be mad for his machismo

8. macalu

and what is to Greg Couch? Guillen didn't call him that.

9. macalu

someone's always offended by something. doesnt' make what he said right or wrong, but i don't think Guillen's intentions were what the reporter said they were.

10. Buck Turgidson

This incident does not change my opinion of Guillen one iota.

The crap he pulled with Sean Tracy last week did it for me. The man has a serious integrity & character deficiency.

His quotability/personality and his early success (he should thank Ken Williams daily for the teams he assembled) will buy him some time & slack...for awhile. Unless he changes some things (*if he can*, or even wants to), he'll be out of a job in the forseeable future.

11. MadMax

i don't know what his intentions were. i know he should stop yapping. the guy is always calling someone out. don't hide behind, "in my culture this is ok." that's crap.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I can't believe no one mentioned this - had me in tears. Guillen supports gay people because he attends WNBA games.... truly CLASSIC.

13. MadMax

you're right..that is classic! :D

14. macalu

yea, i thought that was pretty sh*tty of him.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I saw that but I thought the Madonna comment was funnier for some reason. He went to a Madonna concert...yep, HE'S A GAY ADVOCATE.

I also liked the "gay friends" comment. Isn't that what everyone says when accused of being homophobic? :D

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess racists are OK using racial slurs if their from an area where there are a lot racists.

17. Fatty FatBastard

I called someone here that same derogatory statement.

I was banned for 4 months....

Bah. I still think the word is funny, though.

18. MadMax

yeah. i mean in mississippi we call them that all the time. so it's all good. :rolleyes:

19. Fatty FatBastard

Yeah... But if you call a heterosexual the same term, are you a racist? I would have to differ on that.

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Bingo - that is what I thought was lame of him to do.