1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Owners or Players?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 8, 2019.

?

Who side are you on?

1. Owners

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Players

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why does it seem like fans always take the side of owners. If a player takes a little bit less will we get cheaper tickets, food, or drinks? I remember going to playoffs games was not cheap last year. I think they had cheap beer for a few of those games to get people to show up on time, but once the game started it mas back to the 10+ dollar for drinks.

It seems all people want to is talk about how we need to be less than luxury taxes etc. I mean the team made 103 million dollars. The value of all sports teams go up no matter how good they are. Why do your care if you don't make an actual profit when the value of the team will go up. There ~120 pro teams in America. There are way more than 120 billionaires.

Why should CP3 or House or any of these players have to take a paycut. Its not like rockets aren't over the cap. Why do fans side with billionaires. I am guessing most people here work for a company and are generally paid pretty well. If someone offers you 50k more even if you are making 250-300 I am guessing you are going to leave your job (Maybe not Cali). Now imagine 10mil more.

bmelo, topfive and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Hmm. I can be bought. Which one of them wants to pay off my mortgage?

BigShasta likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Including an option for GM would take this thread to "another level"

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

damn that's a good one lol

HP3 likes this.
  6. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

For an entertainment business, both are getting overcompensated in the short term or long term. All I know is, it's getting too expensive to attend multiple games.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is a f'ing great thread. So many fans act like they work for the organization. I'm here for the players. I absolutely want Tilman, like Dan Gilbert, to dip into his deep pockets to fund a real arms race. Tilman took home a good $50m last season, and if you win it all you are fine even with the most punitive taxes.

We won't make as much as the Warriors, but we would make way more than the Cavs who lost $15-20m in their championship season. DAN GILBERT paid for that.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I side with the player

“Chris Paul is greedy”...no, stfu, he took what was offered to him like most people would

same dudes criticizing him know damn well they wouldn’t be like “ keep that 160 mil, pay me much less instead”...as if CP3 taking a huge pay cut would’ve given the Rockets all this cap space in order to make moves

HP3 likes this.
  9. TheresTheDagger

Owners stay loyal to the franchise. Player's don't.

For me it's as simple as that. I'm a Rockets fan first.

Nivos, jcf and sirbaihu like this.
  10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Made a thread on the Dish but nobody cared to chime in.

Do all owners make money? If so... who doesn’t and why don’t they?

diehardrockets and HP3 like this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Oh come on, now. No one has to choose. We want them all to win and when they win, we win. Doesn't matter who they are in the organization, we cheer for everything underneath the franchise name of the Houston Rockets. Neither Tilman nor the players will ever trump that franchise name.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Im a Rockets fan, but dont forget its the players who make up the team and they are the ones you ultimately root for. I dont root for something as hollow as a logo.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Easy: someone needs to pay James Harden to be on the Rockets. That's the owner. Thank you, owner, for your asset named The Houston Rockets. I enjoy your property very very much.

Soooooo many Rockets fans are going to be like "Yeah, remember Harden's historic year? I was miserable the entire time. Coz owner!!!!!"

14. TheresTheDagger

So you prefer to root for Chandler Parsons or Jeremy Lin over any current Rockets player?

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Did I say that? I didnt even imply that? I root for Harden to get his championship and MVP on this team, the players should have their money and an opportunity to win instead of a cheap owner wasting these player's primes. Owner's just have to sit there and pay the team, that's it. Players are you who root for and want to see succeed. I dont root for a lifeless jersey.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Is Tilman being loyal to the franchise by refusing to pay the repeater tax a couple of years from now, forcing us to come in under the luxury tax threshhold and limiting which players we can sign?

Sure, it's a ****-ton of money, but if he gets dinged for the repeater tax and the luxury tax, he'll still make a profit. It might be $50M instead of $100M, but come on -- FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS, while still putting everything into the team that the rules allow.

HP3 likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not even one as spiffy as this?

[​IMG]

18. Rocket_Man_2.0

If I was the owner I'd happily pay the repeaters tax...winning is the best to grow the value of a team! No Brainer! Pennie pinching historically fails! Bad franchises are mostly bad because of cheap owners!

#18 Rocket_Man_2.0, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Respectfully, "forcing us to come in under the luxury tax"? Dude, he's paying the luxury tax, and "we" can't pay it.
    Fertitta made a $2 billion deal not long ago. We don't know if he needs that $50 million or not. I do know: I don't have that money, and neither does CF.
    In short, Tilman is The Man. We are enjoying his property, just the way we might like to watch him drive his fancy car. But it's his. And we are just poor chumps.
    I am enjoying the hell out of this season.

jcf likes this.
  20. TheresTheDagger

No you didn't say that, but your original post was worded strangely. Look everyone roots for the players WHILE THEY PLAY FOR YOUR FAVORITE TEAM, but the players really are just interchangeable parts until they win. Once they leave, they're just former Rockets. That's why I rarely root for players who leave the Rockets because city and franchise loyalty is what matters to me...much more than any player.

HP3 likes this.