1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Overreacting on PG situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 4Shoposite, Aug 2, 2004.

1. 4Shoposite

4Shoposite Contributing Member

Unlike the popular opinion that our starting pointguard situation is in desperate need of an upgrade, I'm on the side of the fence that is pretty content with Lue being the starting pointguard.

Just why?

For the simple fact that the Houston offense is not a scheme that requires the pointguard to be All-World.

IMHO - I believe JVG is actually pretty secure in making Lue his starting pointguard. People look at last seasons debacle in Orlando and then flat out assume that Lue just is the wrong guy.

I believe without a doubt that Lue is the prototypical pointguard that JVG likes to use in his offense. He's a high energy coast to coast defender who doesn't try to do too much and takes what the defense gives him.

In Orlando's offense...especially after sending Darrell Armstrong out of the door, they were looking for Lue to be that creator from the pick and roll that D.A. was...something Lue just isn't that great at. Lue is a half-court pointguard/shooter who can do things in the fastbreak if it's off of turnovers - not a fastbreak when it's near even in men up the floor.

IMHO - Lue is just as good as Charlie Ward from his 1998-1999 Knicks days...and maybe even better.

I hear Mike James, Jones, and whatnot. Lue is flat out a better option at pointguard for this team than those two. He's quicker and a better defender than both of those guys.

IMHO - we would have been a much better team had we signed Evvill and got a decent backup at Center.

I think a lot of people are just sleeping on Lue right now but will soon find out that he's not as bad as the media and fans are making him seem once the season starts.

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

Yes, but, all of that is null and void, according to some people here, simply because he is short (5'11-6'0).

3. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

i think he'd be alright. If everyone is genuinely looking at his size as the one and only main problem, then please ask yourself, are you really looking for a servicable PG or an All Star? He is alittle undersized, but if needed, we could use reece gaines for matchup problems and have him share PG duties (however much there is left in half-court offense) with McGrady or JJ like we did last season.

Backup Center to me is top priority simply because um, WE DONT HAVE ONE> We NEED to get a Center. I can see us having problems when yao's in Foul Trouble.

4. MONON

MONON Member

I wouldn't be too upset if we went with MoT & Howard spelling Yao. We are talking about a backup 5. Most teams don't have a good starting 5, let alone a good backup. They can more hold their own in that situation. Besides, Mo has done it before.

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

MoT rarely backed up Yao, Cato rotated to 5 when Yao sat. But I agree Howard+MoT+Scrub should be fine backing up Yao. There aren't many C's in the league with a legit post game.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Lue has holes in his game; I really think that's the problem a lot of posters here have. He provides little dribble penetration, gets abused by big, strong PGs, and isn't a good finisher. He's much better suited to coming off the bench.

This team doesn't need an all-World PG, but it does need an NBA-quality starting option. Lue is just better suited to coming off the bench and providing energy as a sub.

I'm really hoping the Rockets are negotiating aggressively with the Cavs for McInnis, even with his supposed attitude problems. He does a great job of taking care of the ball.

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Well, gettin abused is just like having Steve around.

Good times, good times:)

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

Some 'holes'..

Uhm, since when does a team built offensively around Yao and T-mac, with a shooting/low post PF, a slashing/shooting SF, need a penetrating PG that scores on the dribble? I thought that's why Francis was traded? Last I heard, JVG's in and out offense, requires a low post presence and/or a tall gaurd with penetration, surrounded with shooters. Since Lue will be required to simply shoot the ball on offense off the dribble, not having a good finish isn't important, especially since his game is made for the perimeter.

So, all that's left in your argument, is as usual, his size. I don't see how him being abused by bigger PG's matters, since it's basically the same flaw in Francis' defense, except he was 6'3". Difference being, Lue offers a more consistent and suitable offense for this team. And unlike Francis, Lue will not constantly lose his man.

9. Sane

Sane Member

Size is extremely important when passing into the post.

10. hpscc

hpscc Member

Moochie Norris and/or Frank Williams may be part of a Jamal Crawford deal if it goes down, and Chicago doesn't need either player with Hinrich, Gordon, Duhon, and Pargo already there.

Would Norris or Williams be of any use?

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

T-mac and JJ

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't have too much of a problem with Lue starting, but I feel as though we do need to make a deal with one of the PGs that have been mentioned lately. (AD, DJ, etc) Then I'll just wait until TC and preseason and see which PG plays better and that player will start.

Lue seems like an ok solution at PG at least for this year. He put up pretty good stats last year, and if he was doing that in a system that didn't fit him very well, he could be pretty good here. He is a PG who can shoot with a career FG% of 43%, and looking back, he once shot almost 45% from 3 land while in Washington. So as far as shooting goes, I'm more than satisfied with him. He doesn't get too many assists career wise, but he does seem to stay at a 3-1 assist/TO ratio. I've heard conflicting opinions on his defense; some say he is a good defender and some say he isn't. I tend to think that since all he will have to do is bring the ball up and basically shoot open shots, he can focus his energy on defense, kind of similiar to how we think T-Mac will focus more on D rather than trying to put up 30 each and every night against doubles and triples. Plus, with JVG as a coach along with a 7'6 monster and a motivated, athletic demon ready to unlead havoc on anyone who thinks they can get past him, I think Lue will have some help in cases where his D suffers.

Of course, the biggest knock on Lue is his height, which he can't really work on no matter how hard he tried. However, I don't feel as though it is too bad to be more of a factor than his positives mentioned above. As long as he can bring the ball up, and then give it to JJ or T-Mac, and then start running around like crazy, and then maybe his small size will make it hard to see where he goes. ;) Or he can just pick a spot where he can drain shots. On D, if he'd bigger, he can just pester the guy and hopefully tick off the guy with the ball, rendering his height advantage not much of a factor.

If we get AD, great. If we get DJ, great. If we get Bibby or Kidd, excellente! But whatever happens, and whoever starts, I think Lue could play pretty well. Maybe he and Juwan will make this deal pretty sweet, making us forget that T-Mac was part of the deal. If Gaines comes through as well, WOW! But that's just the optimist in me talking.

13. Asspirin

Asspirin Member

I honestly hope that was sarcasm.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good one. One was so unwanted the deal has not yet taken place, and has had to be reworked 47 times to give it a shot. The other may have game, but, if so, Isiah has been trying to get his butt gone since IT's butt got there.

Now, how many 1s can a team have? We're back to KH being gone if the deal occurs with a 1 in it, IMO.

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Man, people could say what they want about our PG, say that he's fine for the system, he won't be asked to do much, stop over reacting, etc. You still can't get past the fact that he's not a starting point guard, he has even admitted that, the only other place he would start at is Charlotte and we're still trying to sugar coat him. Get real people, he'd be great off the bench, but if he's the Rocket's starting PG next season it won't be a positive.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Honestly, frankly, really -- give me TMc at the 1 with Lue and JJax in reserve. The potential match up nightmares for the oppositionm seem like a lot of fun to me.

However, please get significant post help. If Zo is healthy enough to play, this has to be an ideal set up for him. His close buddy, a coach he gets along well with 9they both say, post-'leg'), a limited role behind Yao, teaching and pushing Yao. An ability to play some 4 next to Yao. Then bring in his teammate, A Williams, to back up 4 and 5 some more.

Do that, then find homes for any/all of the incumbent 4s.

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You missed the original point; he's not a starting caliber PG! He has holes in his game, and those things that he's good at, he's not any better at then almost any other starting PG in the league. He's an okay shooter out of a double-team; not great like a Brent Barry. He's an okay passer; not great like an Eric Snow. He's a pesky defender, but he lacks the size and athleticism of an Antonio Daniels. Francis often lost his man in rotations, but one-on-one he kept his man in front of him and rarely got beat off the dribble. How do you propose, in an aggressive man-to-man defense based on rotations, Lue will not also lose his man on the perimeter?

If you could argue that Lue does anything that much better than Antonio Daniels, who's taller and more athletic, you'd have an argument. But you can't! He's not a better passer or ballhandler, he's not as good finishing at the rim (Which IS Important! We aren't running the triangle where the PG just walks the ball upcourt, makes a pass to the wing, and spots up), and he's not a better defensive player. People talk about how he shut down Ivy in the 2001 finals; Iverson torched him! He's pesky and provides some energy, but he's really only a slightly above average defender. Considering he's 4 inches taller, give Daniels the edge.

There are some areas of the game in which Lue can hold his own. But outside of his quickness, there's nothing in his game which gives him a noteable edge over any other starting PG in the league. He'd be much better suited as a sparkplug off the bench.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

First, Mourning is much too expensive, especially when you consider the health risk and reduced minutes he can play. There are far better options for the Rockets. As for Yao, the Rockets already have Mourning's role model as Ming's instructor.

Second, you want McGrady finishing the break, not starting it. Serving as PG takes a lot of movement from his game, and IMO this takes away much of his scoring power. I'd much rather see an inexperienced Reece Gaines as PG. Who knows? Gaines may have really impressed JVG over the summer and that's why there has been no trade for PG. How's that for pure speculation?;)

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure Zo is expensive -- and insured. Spoon for Zo, then TE for Williams? Some savings there. If the man is healthy enough and motivated enough to return, then I hope Houston is where he plies his trade.

Michael became Michael after he spent a tour as PG. We're not talking TMc 40 mins/game at the 1, but 15 +/-.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lue is fine. But we need more depth at the PG position. So, I'd like to get another guy who is a genuine PG. And, while we're at it, why not get someone who is a bit better than Lue?

Besides that, we're missing a lot in the way of quality depth. After our 2 untouchables, we've only got 3 guys we could mention as potential trade-bait and one of those guys makes way too much money to actually be trade-bait. I see this offseason as an opportunity to add quality players. Whether we need a starting PG or not, we do need more guys with talent.