1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outside shot at Mav's pick this year (UPDATE: Rockets won't get pick this year)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTownAllDay, Apr 24, 2012.

1. HTownAllDay

HTownAllDay Member

Dallas must win their finale against Atlanta, Boston must lose its last two, and Denver and Orlando need to lose at least once. 3 picks would certainly give the Rockets a lot of flexibility in this coming draft.

1 person likes this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I posted that this morning as well...
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Very slim shot to get Dallas' 2012 1st rounder: 2 BOS L's, ORL L, DEN L, DAL W. 4-way tie for 10th. 1 in 4 shot to get pick on tiebreak.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans.net (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/194819383980331009" data-datetime="2012-04-24T16:05:35+00:00">April 24, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    9 teams are already a LOCK to fnish ahead of Dallas... even then it would only create a 4-way tie for the 10th best team, giving the Rockets a 1 in 4 shot on the draft tiebreaker of getting the 21st pick. 18, 19 or 20 would go to Dallas.

I could see Denver and Orlando losing a game... but Dallas winning in Atlanta and Boston losing both to Miami and to Milwaukee (both at home) is unlikely.

3. HTownAllDay

HTownAllDay Member

Sorry Clutch, no twitter for me, thanks for the heads up though!

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

To be honest, I don't want the Rockets getting that pick; you're already adding 2 first rounders + Motiejunas and Morris, whose development should clearly take precedence over winning; there just aren't enough minutes to go around for another rookie. As long as we're hoping for the Rockets to strike lottery gold in the next month, might as well hope that Dirk, Deron + a whole bunch of scrubs blows up until 2018, when Deron's contract expires, and the Mavs freefall to the #1 overall pick.

1 person likes this.
  5. onreego

onreego Member

Too many factors, too little luck.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hillarious.

If Boston loses tonight, it will be interesting to see what Orlando does. They don't want to drop to 7 obviously and have to face the Heat in the first round. However, they may not want to move up to play Boston either, especially if ATL drops a L to the Clippers. On top of that, if they are thinking about a trade of Dwight, they know all about the Rox getting that pick at 21. I'm sure we've kept them apprised of all those scenarios.

It would be hillarious if they tanked out against Charlotte. Plum hillarious.`

7. cod

cod Member

People are getting caught up in the idea they can trade up but with multiple firsts a team is more likely to trade out or even pick someone they don't like as much but will agree to play overseas.

When packaging multiple picks the other team has to be willing to lose extra roster space for rookies and then take on lower potential and riskier prospects with possibly a greater combined salary.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This

We already have two picks and a young team, why would we want another in the late 1st round?

The pick is unprotected in 2018, who knows where the Mavs will be at that time.

I'll be rooting for them to get a top 20 pick until the protection is lifted.

9. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

This is a super weak class for international prospects; only one guy who's even being considered for the first round. Certainly, we could see someone have a Biyombo-esque rise up the boards, but as of now, a "stash-pick" doesn't look likely. And forget about asking an American-born 1st rounder to go to Europe, increase their time until free-agency, and take a pay-cut. Heck, good luck finding a decent team that will actually play/develop the kid the way you want, with the knowledge that they're burning a precious "foreign-import" slot on an unproven 22-year old who will leave for the NBA as soon as he becomes decent.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It is funny... but way too many factors for Orlando to control that pick going to Houston with a loss. I think they will lose one anyway since they close at Memphis, but we'll see. I think playoff positioning is most on everyone's mind ... I wonder who Cuban wants to face. I wouldn't put it past him at all to lose a game on purpose to get a better first round opponent.

Bottom line is it's still a ridiculous long shot for the Rockets to get that pick this year.

11. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

2018.....that's 6 years from now...
    Mark Cuban said the Mavs would be bad once dirk retires and 6 years from now, dirk would be entering his early 40's aka retired
    Most of the currents mavs players will be gone and I suspect scrubs

I don't know much about the pick but if the mavs will be as bad as i think they will be in 2018 I'm guessing top 5

12. Indaface

Indaface Member

I'd rather not get the Mavs pick this year. The Rockets still owe NJ their first rounder so I'd rather get the Mavs pick next year since we all hope the Rockets will be giving theirs up next year.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

The same outside shot we had of making the playoffs when we lost 7 of 8?!

14. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

who cares about that pick another(bud,pat?) we are still mediocre :rolleyes:

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

If we don't get it this year, we get it next year, right? Is it top-20 protected next year, too?

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

17. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Now that you say this, who wants to bet that somehow the Rockets will get the pick this year?

18. delishman

delishman Member

I think it's value whether it's in this draft or as a future pick, is pretty similar.

Go SUNS! No more 14th pick.

19. VBG

VBG Member

WE WILL GET THE NUMBER 1 PICK IN 2018

20. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

This LOL. It will end up being like the minnesota pick.