1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our style of play don't mean sh#$ anymore

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Erbnwarfare, Oct 24, 2018.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As it was last year, which produced one of the best offenses ever, and a 3-2 lead on the Warriors when healthy.

The offense isn't the problem.

HP3 and BaselineFade like this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Our defense created a 3-2 lead.
    Out offense was novel in the sense of spamming threees at an unprecidented rate. If and when the entire league adjusts and does the same, our offense will be at best slightly above average due to our talent in the backcourt.

Our system of spamming threes is easy to mimic and other teams are catching on. Th detterent for teams mimicking the "spam 3s" system is a fear of defiling the game. Many coaches don't like to do it because they think it's gimmicky.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It was not just spamming 3s. It was the constant switches to get Harden or Cp3 on weak opponent. It was the spacing so the lane would be open. Harden and Cp3 are good iso players, but without the other stuff they would have had a much harder time scoring.

HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dun see how this is generating any Dollar sign.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Relatively small sample size of 51 games, but league scoring is up by 7.1 points from last year. For reference, that's easily the biggest year to year increase since the NBA/ABA merger (and then some). Second highest scoring increase was in 2000 (+5.9), but that was coming off the strike year where scoring was at its lowest since 1954. Any change of more than +/-3 is historically rare in the modern NBA.

Looks like FGA and FTA are up noticeably due to these new rule changes. Perhaps they'll level off a bit if / when the refs stop focusing so much on freedom of movement, as they tend to do with all points of emphasis eventually.

sirbaihu likes this.
  7. onreego

onreego Member

Yeah, career high for him last night. If he continues attempting ten 3-pointers while converting at a decent clip he might hit that mark more often.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. onreego

onreego Member

Although, I'm curious if the constant stoppage in play affects our players' ability to get into a good offensive rhythm.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Except it was historically efficient last year, like top 5. If we suck this year it’s because the league is getting younger and faster, and our team is slow and old. The system is fine if you have the right pieces.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Let's look who we lost, Ariza, Luc, and Ryno. Man, those are some offensive juggernauts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I haven't looked at the data, but it also seems like we are not sticking with last years offense. It seems like we are trying to play fast, which is not what our players are good at.

Need to go back to switching onto a weak defender and playing the PnR game.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't even know what's good defense anymore. The Lakers game with the refs really destroyed me, is it a charge or a block foul.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

I really cant believe that dude said that lol.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think your right got but not because of the new rules but just because other teams are playing the same way we do...

We got away with being an average 3 point shooting team because of the volume of shots we put up from three and the fact that other teams weren’t jacking them up as much as us but now there are teams that are actually good at shooting threes doing the same thing as us and now the math won’t work.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. alethios

alethios Member

It's getting to the point where they should just give each team 100 open shots and whoever hits the most, wins. Like an NBA version of HORSE.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I believe so too. He's gotten better every year he's been healthy.

17. onreego

onreego Member

That being said, I don't think he's anywhere close to the level of scorer that James is.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The next game will tell us a lot about whether our style of play is sh%t