1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our record without Dwight is actually better this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HtownRock, Mar 24, 2016.

1. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

I don't appreciate cancer. And that's Dwight's middle name.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're a little too quick to throw that word around. Many of us here are dealing with the real thing, on a daily basis. You could do a lot of us a HUGE favor by simply removing that word from your so-called analyses.

3. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

I've seen plenty of time where that label was used to describe other players on this team. So please spare the lecturing.

YOLO answer: Dwight had 6 blks in last game tho. So obviously, he must have played great D all season along.

4. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

I think JB has more homoerotic feeling towards Dwight than Brewer at his point.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Sample size. I'm talking about sample size. Sample size!

[​IMG]

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

For 22 Million Dollars hell to the no

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look at all the Ostriches with their sample size...even though last year is quite a sample too.

DD

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

There's no such thing as poor competition the way this team has played this year. We lost to Brooklyn twice with Dwight.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Dwight's playing exactly how he played in LA. It's all about him not team "I want more touches in the post" "I want to be showcased". Despite not being a good offensive player he still mopes when he doesn't get his back to the basket touches. Being unwilling to set real picks even when your team really needs you too because you want the ball in the post sounds like a disruptive force or you could just say cancer.

10. for-three

for-three Member

I would also put part of the blame on J.B. for always sticking with Dwight, even when he's not making much of an impact in a particular game. Last night against the Jazz is a perfect example. Coming off a back-to-back game Dwight didn't have any juice in the 2nd half, he looked to be a step slow on both ends. The Rockets would have been better off giving more minutes to Capela, Beasley, and a guy that could have matched Booker's energy/hustle in Harrell (if they didn't send him to the D-league).

I think Howard's health is worse than he lets on, especially playing heavy minutes in back-to-back games. J.B. needs to trust the young guys with more playing time, because he's running Harden/Ariza/Howard into the ground

1 person likes this.
  11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Kinda wish we would have taken the "sit Dwight until the playoffs" approach again. Playoff Dwight is an entirely different beast.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yes, but thats just too obvious.

13. basketballholic

The 7 wins we have without Dwight were against teams that have a combined winning percentage of .450.

Here's a short list of the players missing from the opponent's teams for those games:

DeMarcus Cousins
    Derrick Favors
    Gobert (limited to 15 minutes because of injury)
    Anthony Davis (injured early in game)
    Hassan Whiteside

The 4 wins we have without Dwight were against teams that have a combined winning percentage of .472.

The 28 wins we have with Dwight were against teams that have a combined winning percentage of .440.

The 33 losses we have with Dwight were against teams that have a combined winning percentage of .586.

Of the 7 wins we had without Dwight, 4 of those wins were against teams currently positioned to make the playoffs (Dallas-2, Utah, Miami) and 3 wins against lottery teams.

Of the 4 losses we had without Dwight, 2 of those wins was against a playoff team (Miami and Dallas) and 3 were against lottery teams (DEN, NYK).

Of the 28 wins we have had with Dwight, 13 are against playoff teams and 15 are against lottery teams.

of the 33 losses we have had with Dwight, 23 have come against playoff teams, and 10 were against lottery teams.

Conclusion:
    We don't play better without Dwight. We simply played a few games without Dwight, mostly against crappy teams or teams with at least one of their top player inactive or injured during the game.

It is ridiculous to believe this team is better off without Dwight.

It may make sense to think this team would be better off without Dwight and with a revamped roster and a Dwight replacement. But to believe we are better without Dwight, more lunacy produced from a crappy season.

1 person likes this.
  14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I was happy with Asik knowing the drama queen mess Howard would be but the vast majority was drooling. Just horrible.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed.

However as we all know Howard has no fundamentals in his game. He's been successful all these years by his athleticism which was freakish and is now declining rapidly. We all knew he wasn't going to age well and he hasn't. If he can't anchor the defense which the advanced stats show he hasn't then his worth plummets dramatically.

I'd gladly have him back if Morey can figure out how to add two max deals and still find room for him. It's likely he's going to end up putting up poorer and poorer stats on some small market team like Charlotte though.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You don't have to revamp the whole roster to be better without Dwight but yes something at the trade deadline for Dwight would have made us more successful than with him. Obviously in the offseason when's he's gone we want to revamp the roster not sure the entire point of your post. Dwight's not even the same player this year that he was last year. I do know that we are 6-0 without him this year. I know sample size and all but in my opinion that says a lot. It's not just that he's in decline it's also that he ruins the flow. JB, Howard, and, Brewer are momentum killers any excitement or hope you have during a game is immediately halted whenever anyone of these guys makes a decision.

17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

The Rockets have also lost with Dwight in the lineup when other teams were shorthanded with players injured on opposing teams all year long. OKC earlier in the year,Clippers two weeks ago without Blake Griffin. Hawks, Mavericks had 4 starters out and beat us earlier in the season..Warriors without Curry...I can go on...we also lost to a few scrub teams that were short handed also. All with Dwight in the lineup this year. Last year we played better with Howard out of the lineup and this year as well go 6-0. If Dwight wants to stick around and be 2nd string for around 5-10 million that would be ideal and most practical based on what we've seen this season alone.

18. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

You've just proved that I was right.

First of all, we lost 3 times to Denver and twice to Brooklyn Nets primarily Dwight playing the game, so there is no 'bad team' that we were supposed to beat this year. Doesn't matter which key player played or didn't, we barely beat 76ers at home with Dwight playing. We were that bad, esp early in the season.

Secondly, the combined winning percentage of the teams we beat without Dwight is actually higher than those of teams that we beat with him on the court.

And lastly, Dwight's on/off margin this season is exactly 0 at this point (and negative offensively)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/howardw01/on-off/2016/

On the other hand, Capela's on/off margin is whopping +7, even higher than Harden's (+6.9)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/capelca01/on-off/2016/

Sure, Capela usually plays against the second unit, so you can't really make a 1-1 comparison in this case, but at best Dwight's presence or absence doesn't seem to affect our level play at all, and probably hurting us on the offensive side.

I'm not trying to unfairly criticize Howard on anything. His numbers (whether offensively or defensively) are all career low across the board this season, which meets the eye test. Out offensive movement seems much more fluid without him, and even his defensive impact has been diminishing at a alarming rate. And above all else, we are paying him way too much money for a guy whose only notable contribution is just grabbing some rebounds time to time.

It's time to let this guy go. We are better without him.

19. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

I agree. Dwight is absolutely the reason for the obvious issue with our team, which is the lack of a system.

Oh wait, that's idiotic. :p

But let's keep on slamm ing on our pkaayers zas a real fan should do. It's simply an adorable attitude, espeicaly when you lace it with diseases, that's true class. :rolleyes:

20. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

I don't recall too many ppl being upset when that exact disease metaphor was used to describe certain players on this team, and now that Dwight is the main focus of our criticism, all of a sudden we should act super classy on this board? since when ppl here showed class towards our player? you think I got that idea just by myself? :)