1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our race for a playoff spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Mar 1, 2019.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

People, seriously. Golden State will be the #1 seed. Here are the remaining schedules of the Warriors and Nuggets:

Warriors -
    @min
    IND
    DAL
    DET
    @MEM
    @min
    CHA
    DEN
    @LAL
    CLE
    LAC
    @NOP
    @MEM

Nuggets -
    @WAS
    @NYK
    @IND
    DET
    @HOU
    @OKC
    WAS
    @GSW
    SAS
    POR
    @POR
    @UTA
    MIN

And remember that Golden State has a 2-1 lead in the season series with one more game vs the Nuggets remaining at Oracle. There is no way Denver is finishing with a better record than the Warriors barring catastrophic injuries to Golden State.

Earnie Banks and arabrocket like this.
  2. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I really want to know how BPI thinks we are going to lose 5 more times.

3. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Agreed. I didn’t have a chance to see the schedule before

4. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

Only reason Im shook of spurs, we dont get the fouls we usually get from other teams, and they dont foul harden as much.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. BigBum

BigBum Member

GS is more likely to be 1 seed. Anything can happen though.

If GS lose to Wolves today, Nuggets take 1 seed.

6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i do not want to see greg popovich in the playoffs. the spurs have two all-star players, half of fame coach, and some knock down shooters. I'm not sure we have anyone who can guard lamarcus aldridge. when that guy is on he is a beast as we have seen many times before. of course i think we would win, but id really rather not. I dont think the nuggets want to see them either. this is going to be very interesting how the seeding ends up.

snowconeman22 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. 417Rocket

417Rocket Member

Portland is sneaky good but they overall lack fire power to be a player. Utah is just a pain on the ass tbh.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Every matchup will be difficult.

I'm just glad that people have come back to reality and no longer talk about us overtaking Denver. Setting appropriate / realistic expectations is a good idea.

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can't lose focus tonight. Keep that edge over Portland, the Spurs, and OKC. Lets hope Portland doesn't take this game seriously tonight. I never thought I would spit out these words but I will now. Go Dallas!! Lets hope Miami beats the Spurs tonight and we do too on Friday. Staying ahead is the key. OKC might lose the next 2 against Toronto and keep on tumbling down in the playoff spots! Exciting week!

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We clinch with a win tonight.

DD

11. biina

biina Member

GSW is almost guaranteed the #1

The winner of the Northwest Division between Portland and Denver is likely to be #2. Denver lead by a few games, while Portland has a relatively easy schedule (but will be interesting to see how well they do without McCollum). The two Denver v Portland back to back games will likely decide the division.

For us to get the #2 seed is difficult. We will likely need to almost win out and hope Denver loses at least 4 more games than us. That is unlikely. The worst case scenario is we end up with the #4 seed which almost guarantees facing GSW in the semis.

For first round opponents, OKC would be the worst, but I think they will be #6 or #7. Even though they are currently in a slump and have a tough schedule, they should be getting back in form around playoff time. Clippers are the weakest but should finish #8, so we wont get them. That leaves Spurs and Jazz.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Well, Utah's climbing on up as expected with their schedule and OKC has hit 8th spot thanks to Toronto, who will hopefully beat them again Friday.

Hey, we lost to an easy matchup, but hopefully with Gordon and Faried back in the rotation we can beat the Spurs Friday. At least they lost too. Gordon's shooting percentage has been really good. We would have won if he had played. He isn't afraid of making his own plays like some of the others are too often. Same with Faried.

The second half of our seeding for a playoff spot is so close now it is going to change up until the final game, but Utah has the clear advantage to climb their way up with their easy schedule. OKC might just stay in 8th now, unless they beat some tough opponents. They have the toughest schedule.

Between us, Portland, the Spurs and Clippers, we all have pretty similar schedules left. I doubt we move up, but the other 3 teams can. I really don't think its going to matter who we play.

Actually, even ending up in 7th or 8th seed has its pros. We face the best teams right away, and either knock 1 out or lose. If we lose, our owner will surely lose money, and be more inclined to pay the money to get another big star for next year, while he still has Harden and Paul. If we win, it will be a much more exciting start to our quest for the Championship!

#272 deb4rockets, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  13. count_dough-ku

The Spurs should in no way be a threat to us in the standings unless we really struggle down the stretch. They have to play at Houston, at Boston, and at Denver. If we beat them tomorrow night, it's all but assured we win the division and finish ahead of them. Even if we don't, it would still take a monumental collapse for them to overtake us.

We're not catching Denver. The losses to the Warriors and Grizzlies(by a combined 3 points!) pretty much ended those hopes. The Rockets are 12-2 in their last 14. Unfortunately the Nuggets are an almost as impressive 10-4 in that stretch. We just dug ourselves too deep a hole. And give them credit for maintaining their level of play all season.

The real concerns are Portland and to a lesser extent Utah. I honestly don't know if the Blazers will lose more than 2 more games the rest of the way. And if that happens, the Rockets would have to finish an insane 9-1 in order to get the 3rd seed. That may be almost impossible with games against the Spurs and Nuggets at home and Bucks, Clippers, and Thunder on the road. I think we're safe with Utah. They may not lose more than another game the rest of the way, but we're 2 games ahead of them in the loss column and split the season series.

Little Bit and Hakeemtheking like this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yep. Just like I said. I don't see us moving up, but if we move down it really doesn't matter. If we can't beat a first round team we just aren't good enough, and will need another big star next year.

15. count_dough-ku

We're not getting another star. We're so capped out with a cheap ass owner that we won't even be able to keep this roster intact.

As for the Rockets' postseason chances, I think you're oversimplifying things. Sure, they should theoretically beat any of the teams currently seeded 5-8. But some will be easier matchups than others. I'd much rather face the Jazz or Clippers than the Spurs or Thunder. And it would be advantageous to get that 3rd seed and avoid the Warriors in the second round.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Looking at the rest if the games is interesting. We really need this win tonight to keep our 3rd seed. Its gonna be close between Portland on who takes the 3rd seed. They could win 8 more and we are probably winning 7 or 8. I think the Spurs will end up in 5th, because they will probably win 8 more games and won't catch us, but nobody else should catch them either. A loss tonight could put us closer to facing the Spurs in the 1st round of the playoffs. We need this win!

The Clippers, Jazz, and Thunder are gonna fight to the finish, and OKC has the toughest schedule. I predict Utah and the Clippers to win 6 or 7 games, and OKC to win 5 or 6. Wouldn't it be great to see them face GSW first round?

17. count_dough-ku

I hate to say it, but I don't like our chances at the 3rd seed even if we beat the Spurs tonight. Portland's schedule is just too easy and them having the tiebreaker is pivotal. The one X-factor though is that the Nuggets are keeping pace with the Warriors. I still think Golden State has the inside track on the #1 seed, but if Denver can somehow pass them in the standings, suddenly that #4 seed doesn't look so bad.

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Except with the 4 seed we will more than likely face the Spurs.

19. count_dough-ku

Maybe. Depends on what the Jazz do down the stretch. Utah won the season series against the Spurs, but at the moment they're behind San Antonio in the standings due to 4 teams having 42-30 records. I think there's just as good a chance that the Jazz finish 5th and the Spurs or Clippers in 6th. The Thunder are likely to be 8th given how brutal their remaining schedule is.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at the schedules it appears Portland is well positioned for the 3rd Seed and we will slip to 4th unless we play top-tier basketball: Spurs, Den, Bucks, Clippers, and Thunder remaining and we need to go 8-2 to have a good shot of holding on to that seed as Portland will very likely do no worse than 8-3.

deb4rockets likes this.