1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our race for a playoff spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Roxs-Redemption

Does anyone have the magic number to know how many more wins till we get the clinch for playoffs?

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Cousins got injured vs OKC. sprained his ankle so precautionary rest.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No idea, but it can't be much since the Warriors and Nuggets are already in. It's probably 2 games give or take. I'm assuming the magic number for the 3rd seed is 12 since the Blazers have the tiebreaker.

4. Manos

Manos Member

I think we can catch the nugs, we have 5 more games against playoff teams, they have 9 vs playoff teams, 6 of which are on the rd where they are 17-16 (they are 18-15 vs +.500 teams). If we can win the game vs nugs, and take the trash out on the crap teams (we are 25-11 vs sub .500), I think we get the 2 spot.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Boston had one job

6. count_dough-ku

Boston really let us down last night though. The Nuggets needed to go 2-2 on this road trip which seems unlikely now.

Manos likes this.
  7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I just want to stay away from the Spurs. I hope San Antonio doesn’t get the 6 spot. Pop has them clicking on both ends. I still think they would be a terrible 1st round matchup.

8. count_dough-ku

The Spurs probably finish in the Top 5 now. They have the tiebreaker against OKC(that double OT win earlier in the year is looking huge right about now) and a very easy schedule remaining. They only have 3 games that I see as potential losses(@HOU, @bos, @Den on a B2B). Suddenly our game against them this Friday is really big with the tiebreaker at stake.

I have to say, I wouldn't mind San Antonio and Portland winding up in the 4 and 5 slots. Let those two duke it out and let us have Utah, OKC, or the Clippers in Round 1(and Denver or whoever upsets them in Round 2).

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Let's they go 7-6 to close out the season. That would put them at 54-28. We'd need to go 9-3 to pass them. 7-6 seems unlikely for them though. If they go 9-4 we'd need to go 11-1.

Anything is possible (insert KevinGarnett.gif here) but it's unlikely because of the number of games.

10. justtxyank

Disaster scenarios for me:
    We take 3 seed
    Golden State drops to #2, San Antonio or OKC is at #6. Yuck.

If Denver steals the #1 seed I almost want us to drop to #4

harold bingo and BaselineFade like this.
  11. count_dough-ku

I've thought about that, but it would be shocking if Golden State got overtaken by Denver. The Warriors' remaining schedule is a joke. And they control their own destiny with the Nuggets visiting Oracle one more time. Win that game and Golden State gets the tiebreaker.

12. justtxyank

Denver overtaking Golden State is more likely than us overtaking either.

BaselineFade and Sajan like this.
  13. count_dough-ku

It is, but that's still unlikely too. The Nuggets would have to play out of their minds to pull that off.

14. justtxyank

I agree. I think ultimately 1 and 2 are pretty much set and we need to worry about holding #3.

15. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Nuggets still need to go to OKC and GS as well as 2 games vs. Portland(1 H, 1 A) and then of course coming to Houston. I think we can catch them.

16. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

I just dont wanna face the Spurs or the Thunder in the 1st round..only teams i think we dont match up great against.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. count_dough-ku

Clippers and Jazz would be the best possible matchup, but honestly I ain't sweating the Spurs or Thunder. OKC is starting to look like their normal selves and the Spurs are on a hot streak, but they're not better than us. Not even close.

Like I said though, San Antonio seems very unlikely given their tiebreaker over OKC and their easy remaining schedule. Same with Portland. Even without McCollum for a while, they should remain in the Top 5.

Assuming we remain in 3rd, it's looking like Utah, OKC, or the Clippers.

18. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Simply, we should seek Denver Nuggets second round match up and avoid GS. We need to keep a close eye on the race to first place between them.

First round matchup doesn’t matter much as there are only 2 1/2 games separating 4-8 seed. Clippers or Jazz can give you as much trouble as Oklahoma City.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

OKC at 6 is definitely the nightmare scenario. Real bad matchup for us. I'd be fine with LAC, SAS, or even Utah at 6, though. Think we're just more talented than those teams and would get it done.

Either way...Warriors choking the 1 seed sucks.

icewill36 likes this.
  20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You think they wanna face us? Bring it on.