1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our new Rocket, Omri Casspi, averages double-double in 3 games with national team this week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Jabberwock, Aug 10, 2013.

1. The Jabberwock

Hey! First, an important notice right up front, just to make things clear –
    This is no COF post!

If you like, I'm more of an Israeli CITRUS (Casspi-In-The-Rockets Unbiased Supporter ;)),
    as I've been following Casspi on one hand, and the Rockets on the other,
    for quite a long time now.

Casspi is be playing with the Israeli national team this summer, going for the Eurobasket championship (starting Sep 4, in Slovenia).
    I thought it will be interesting to provide some coverage.

This week the Israelis played in a 4-team preparation tournament, featuring also Italy, Poland and Georgia.

Here's a brief report on Casspi's scoring & rebounding:
    (Sorry, no full stats were available)

HTML:
    Game                   Result        Casspi's PT     Casspi's TR
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Israel - Poland        81 : 65             14              11
    Italy - Israel         67 : 64             22              11
    Georgia - Israel       79 : 77             20               8
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Average                                   18.7           10.0

For now, Casspi is leading the national team in both PTs & boards!
    (Though he actually plays SF there too)
    The only downside: His scoring %s were not very good this week
    (though I have no hard stats…)

One more small note – Casspi should have been more "rusty" than his teammates, as he last played in mid April, whereas most other national team members where still active as late as mid June.

I SAY - NICE NUMBERS FOR OMRI, AND SOME PROMISE FOR US :cool:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

If I'm at it (good news, that is) – let's kill some false notions about Omri Casspi

I've been watching Casspi for a long time, both in the NBA and in Israel and Europe,
    And I feel that I'm in a good position to make some observations and confute some misguided urban legends about him. Please bear with me:

Urban legend #1 – Casspi has lost his long-range shooting in the last years

Actually – the opposite is true! Casspi reached his best 3PT shooting form early last season.

Last summer, with the national team, in 10 very crucial qualifying games Omri had a spectacular performance with a 3PT% of 52.1% (25/48!)
    His numbers were generally great, with 19.5 points, 5.1 rebounds & 2.5 assists in 31.7 min per game – see http://www.eurobasket2013.org/en/ci....season_2013.roundID_8721.playerID_43603.html

Leveraging on that red-hot form, Omri was the all-NBA leader in 3PT% with the Cavs early last year, both on November 25th, 2012, with 55% (10/17), and later on December 4th, with 50% (18/36).

Oddly enough, it was just then that he was permanently "put on ice" – In the next 4 months (December 5th throughout April 5th) Casspi played a total of 184 minutes! (46 min a month…) and, as you would imagine, cooled down a bit…

Urban legend #2 – Casspi's numbers dropped in most aspects from year to year

Actually – perhaps the only aspect that has dropped was his minutes!

If you compare his stats per 40 minutes from last year in the Cavs
    with his stats on his first (and best) NBA year with the Kings,
    It turns out that he actually got better in most aspects…

Here's the comparison:
    (all per 40 minutes)

HTML:
    The measure                      Kings 09-10    Cavs 12-13 Change   Comment
    Points (per 40 minutes)              16.4*         13.7      -
    Total Rebounds (per 40 minutes)      7.2*          9.0*      +
    Assists (per 40 minutes)             2.0           2.2       +
    Steals (per 40 minutes)              1.12          1.98*     +     12-13: Team leader!
    Blocks (per 40 minutes)              0.37          0.95*     +     12-13: 5th in roster
    Turnovers (per 40 minutes)            2.0*         1.7*      +     12-13: 5th in roster
    Assists : Turnovers ratio            0.99          1.27      +
    TRR (total rebound rate)(40 min)     10.4*         13.1*     +     12-13: 3rd in roster
    DEF (steals+blocks+charges) (40m)    1.86          3.25*     +     12-13: Team leader!
    Efficiency (per 40 minutes)          16.21         16.95*    +     12-13: 6th in roster
    Overall PER (per 40 minutes)         13.02*        12.83*    -              

* = Better than league average.

[stats are from http://www.hoopdata.com/advancedstats.aspx?team=CLE&type=pm&posi=%&yr=2013&gp=0&mins=0]

Urban legend #3 – Casspi has turned fat / heavy as of late

I never actually encountered this claim anywhere except here in this forum, and I don't think anyone can look at Omri and seriously think he has ANY Excess fat on him, but let's consider it a "real" urban legend anyway.

Well, the "official" weight numbers on Casspi's NBA card haven't changed – weight is stated as 225lb all the way from his rookie year to the present, so that's not much help…

There's not much doubt that he's got bigger and stronger in his physique – he WAS quite a wiry chap coming to the US, and he is much more of a tough guy now, but can it really be fat that he has gained? Probably not, but it's hard to prove that…

The only thing we can do is try checking if Casspi has turned "heavier" in his game over his 4 years in the league.
    We can check the stats again (see above)–
    I guess that steals, A:T ratio and DEF generally show agility,
    whereas blocks, rebounds/TRR and DEF (again) may attest to athletic ability and elevation.

Note that, looking at the stats last year, most of these measures were among Omri's top strengths (team leader in steals and DEF, high in Reb & Blk), so I guess there's no extra fat after all - in his game, at least…

13 people like this.
  2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Excellent post -- thanks for sharing.

As a 6'9" 25-year-old with a career .35 3PT%, I think he'll have a great opportunity to grow and showcase his strengths alongside the likes of Harden and DH12.

3. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I could see him suprising people and starting at the 4.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Casspi
    Howard

Nice.

4. djimi

djimi Member

I classify him as Low Risk, High Return player...lets hope the risk pays off

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

All he needed was to play for a contending team... and that's the rockets.

6. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Interesting post for sure.

I haven't really understood all the Casspi criticism lately either... He's either going to play to his strengths and contribute to the team or he'll get benched for one of the other guys trying to break the rotation. He won't be a hindrance to us no matter what.

You can count on Harden, Howard, Lin and Parsons getting a lot of minutes as starters. Bev, Asik, and Garcia getting a lot of minutes as back ups... Then there's the unknown PF situation between Jones, DMo, and Smith (maybe Casspi in small lineups)... Basically what I'm saying is that if he does well, then awesome... If he doesn't then we'll be okay. I think it's a solid vet minimum move by Morey, decent upside with no draw backs.

Of course in the regular season the rotations can inflate but in the playoffs it's going to tighten down to 8... You're going to have to be playing really well for us to break into that.

7. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So would he be our Hedo Turkoglu?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hedu is more like Harden than Casspi.

Hedu was a great playmaker for the magic

9. thisiscaketown

More like our poor man's Rashard Lewis.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Low risk, high reward

11. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Nice. Success with the national team builds up your confidence, hope he carries it into the season.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good post.

Love what Omri's going to bring.

Our resident wizard taking care of business....

13. The Jabberwock

You're right

Thanks, Wood.
    I think so too.
    (and he should be above the 35%)

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

He is just selfish player. And it's friendly matches.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There is no risk involved, he could very easily end up being Delfino 2.0. Casspi being 6'9 is also much better at playing stretch 4 in certain situations also.

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

No Turkleyglue was alright for Magic but was terrible in Toronto.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is one of the prime options on the Israeli team but won't be able to produce those numbers early with us barring injuries

7th guy on the team

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I want to see if he can do that against the U.S national...

19. chandlerbang21

Backup SF not PF I hope

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'd say he's just an extremely homeless man's Chandler Parsons.