1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Friend Cuttino retiring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Codman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Please lock if already posted. This is pretty sad for Cuttino, and big Cat fans like me:

Link:

http://http://www.nypost.com/seven/12042008/sports/knicks/mobley_close_to_retiring_142580.htm

MOBLEY CLOSE TO RETIRING
    Mobley, 33, still has one more heart test left today in Minnesota. It had been reported that Mobley had signed a waiver with the Clippers to release them of liability if he had heart problems.

If Mobley, obtained in the Zach Randolph trade from the Clippers, retires, it would free open a roster spot and save the Knicks about 75 percent of the $18. 9 million left on his pact because of insurance. Mobley, who gets all the money, was obtained more for his contract that expires after next season than for his game.

According to the source, Mobley helped initiate the extra testing following his failed physical. "He's not really focused on basketball, his main concern is his health," the source said.

From HoopsHype:

CLEVELAND - Cuttino Mobley is strongly mulling a medical retirement because of an enlarged heart condition and could make the announcement tomorrow, according to a person familiar with the situation.

2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Oh man, I hope he'll be ok. :\

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Best wishes Cat. You'll always be a Rocket to me.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He always played with heart......Good luck Cat !!

DD

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuttino still has more heart than Tmac!

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That is too bad for Cat. I hope he comes out of this healthy. Every athlete wants to retire on their own terms. However, he found the problem before it was too late and living is a bit more important.

7. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

The trade could be a blessing in disguise for him since they were able to discover the heart condition. Hope he is alright and he provided many good memories as a Rocket.

8. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

Well said Tinman...well said. ;)

9. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

There was a time, albeit brief, where Mobley had the quickest first step in the NBA.

The real question is, how will Francis take the news? :D

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Good luck Cat!

I'd love to see him in the stands if/when he does retire. Cheering on his pal Steve if/when he gets some playing time.

11. HCoog

HCoog Member

Cat > Francis

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I hope Mobley does what's best for him. Really enjoyed his time here as a Rocket. No one really talks about him without it being "Francis and Mobley", but I would have liked keeping him around. He was more than good enough at SG, whereas Francis was inherently flawed (though supremely talented) as a PG.

Evan

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wow, sad to hear. I'm still a huge fan of Mobley and wish him the best. Nothing is more important than your health.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Best of luck to him. I remember going crazy when he hit the winning shot in his very first game.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That was awesome. He has always been one of my favorite Rockets,and I've continued to like him even after he left.
    I'm kinda shocked,premature retirement even with a few years left is still sad.
    His health is the most important thing without a doubt.
    I'm going to miss the Cat a lot.

17. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Yeah, that was against the Warriors wasn't it? I'm not sure it was his first game though, I think it was shortly into the season, and was the shot that gave him confidence from there on out. I think he was actually our PG the year before Francis we got Francis if I remember correctly. :eek:

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

in professionalism, yes

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cuttino is lucky they caught this. I am no medical expert, but from what I remember, an enlarged heart is nothing to mess around with. The late Jason Collier, an ex-Rocket, died from the same condition, IIRC.

20. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Wish him everything's best. Actualli I've watched some Clippers games and he still has A LOT OF game left