1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LewLLOYD, Nov 22, 2009.

1. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Interested in you guy's thoughts about our bench.

Lowry, Landry, Budinger, Andersen

Lowry has been playing phenomenal of late, and has finished the last three games for us. Landry has looked like an allstar, or better than an allstar because he is still humble. Budinger has been a great surprise for the season. Its rare the guy the board gets excited about actually plays and contributes. At times it looks like the guy should start. And Andersen, although used more sparingly, definitely made a case for himself in LA.

Myself, I've been thinking about one of the reasons for our success is the drastic difference between our bench and our starters. Think of it. You are the other team, you start off fighting through the annoying and tenacious Battier and Hayes, and defending against the lightning fast Aaron Brooks, and then you replace Battier and Hayes with Budinger and Landry. Wow, thats quite a switch. Same hustle, maybe, but thats a ton more offensive mindedness coming at you fast. Its tough to switch gears that fast to adjust to that kind of shift, or at least thats what I've been considering lately.

And thats only part of the switch. Also, consider when the second unit comes in, the difference between AB and Lowry. AB is a shooter who is lightning quick and can go around you. Lowry just goes at you, through you, into you. Very very different. I think we get points in the time that the other team is having to adjust.

Sometimes we need the bench guys to just come in and score. And also, sometimes we need some of the more defensive minded starters back in, to disrupt what the other team has going. I think Hayes getting into foul trouble is actually one of the biggest signs our team might be in trouble.

What do you guys think of our bench, and how they look next to our starters? Thoughts?

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Love 'em in this order:

Carl Landry
    Kyle Lowry
    Chase Budinger
    David Andersen
    Jermaine Taylor
    Brian Cook
    Tracy McGrady

I have a Landry jersey... just need a Lowry one now!

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I love the bench. Every guy off the bench brings something completely different than the starter they replace. It adds a ton of versatility to this team which is fantastic.

4. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Landry, lowry and budinger....it stops there...I cant stand anderson and cook is just hot garbage

5. wingz0

wingz0 Member

The bench has certainly been enjoyable to watch this season. And Landry is slowly cementing his reputation as a beast off the bench. Is it just me, or does he inspire so much confidence with his strong play once he checks into the game?

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

landry has been statistically our best player, and he's coming off the bench.

look at these amazing stats:

in just 25 minutes a game, he's putting up 15 points, 6 boards, 55%fg, 87% ft, with a PER of 21+.

that's some amazing stuff. i really want to see what he can do in a starter role with more minutes someday. but right now, luis is also playing great.

7. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Landry is playing very well with Lowry. Not that Landry doesn't also create his own stuff, but on breaks those two have been phenomenal.

Landry though has also been spinning into some beautiful shots.
    He has been nailing his outside shots.
    His scrappy offensive rebounding has been amazing. He seems to just take the ball away from the other team, and he seems to do it exactly when it matters. Gotta love it.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

every team, you always have that group of players who play well together. the bench plays well together b/c each player knows his role and carries it out to a T.

kyle will handle the ball, chase will shoot the ball, and landry is the post player. they RARELY go out and do things that are not in their comfort zone.

but landry has also created a lot of his points. he's beaten a lot of guys off the dribble this year, which i don't think he was very good at. he has proven me wrong so far.

9. Chamillionaire

start both, sit hayes down, sub him in for landry or scola when needed, give the PT to the best players, and right now it's landry and scola at the post.

10. Chamillionaire

I think Jermaine Taylor should get more PT, unless he's not playing well. if not, ship his *** out with mac for a couple of young up and coming players. Ellis and Biedris :)

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

budinger's shot has been streaky but he's still a rook and is working out the jitters. hes going to be a deadeye throughout his career.

12. matthappy

matthappy Member

our bench players are really great,kyle,landry ,Cbudinger had been fully confident when they are sub to the court.today when we against kings I found landry played with smile on the face alomst during the whole game.why?that is b/c he feel really happy playing with these guys,especially lowry IMO.
    ok,I believe coach RA had created a great enviroment for this team in lockroom,great chemistry has happened.everyone trust his teammates.they played happy basketball.keep developing ,when yao back,and trade T-MAC with a scoring FA,we will be the competitor for next couple seasons champion.

13. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

sent JT to D-League unto he got use to the shooting rythm!

David Andersen is quite good of the bench he just need to practise some Def. and low post Off.

stay kooooooooooooooooool :cool: ppl

14. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

it's because you can't even spell andersen right

15. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Actually, it's because Andersen has been beyond atrocious on the defensive end and borderline mediocre on the offensive end.

And if you're going to criticize spelling, at least take the time to use proper punctuation, capitalization, and grammar.

16. Chamillionaire

good but has only been what a week or two since the season started so it's difficult to really analyze them, obviously landry is playing great as well as budinger and lowry. andersen we knew would take some time before he got used to the nba (a la scola) and he's taking time. for sure but i'm optimistic about it. i'm still not sure why we let pops go. are we really trading mac 2 for 1? cause it's looking like it more and more.

17. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Anderson is the second coming of Luther Head in a 6'11 body. The game doesn't come easy to him and he has wild dangerous jerks in movement and his shot. The weakest link.

The rest of the rotation is solid as a rock.

18. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

That's why we shouldn't start Lowry over Brooks, to keep our bench extremely good.

19. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

What? If he shoots weird but makes them then it shouldn't matter.

20. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

The bench is good but would be great if they had a defensive player with them in the mold of Dikembe. Would have been great to see him play one more year with these group.