1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Assets vs. Others looking at a PG and PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Sep 29, 2014.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is true because all of them are unlikely.

2. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Do we need star upgrades? I wouldn't consider Teague+Millsap star upgrades but what would you think of lineup of Teague, Harden, Ariza, Millsap and Howard?

If Rondo does not want to stay in a rebuilding Boston, what are there alternatives? If Flip does not want to give Rubio the max, what are his alternatives?

Can you give examples of teams with better hands and a deal that makes sense for both parties?

The point of my post wasn't to say where are getting Rubio or anyone specifically but that if we wanted him or someone else really badly we could put together one of the best packages.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Wasn't Paul Millsap an all-star?I think you are confusing star for superstar. Did you see Teague during the playoffs? Some of you guys are in dreamland. You could get way more than anything we have for Millsap. The reason why I said we are not getting a star is because supposedly we are in the situation we are in for the "Flexibility" to get a third star, we don't have the chips. We could probably get a solid role player, we are not getting Rubio. We will only get Rondo if he specifically wants to come here and if Ainge is feeling nice, they didn't even want Parsons for Rondo, they don't want our trash.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hahaha.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A Lowry or a Lance would've been nice instead of chasing Bosh and Melo.

6. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

I appreciate the opposing view. What team would offer more for the 29yr old millsap and what would that offer be?

Aaron affalo nearly made the Allstar game last year. He was traded for Evan Fournier.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think we are still after a top 25ish player. Every move we've made (and not made) seems to indicate this.

Top 20-30, IMO:

Melo
    Lowry
    Rose
    Noah
    Lebron
    Irving
    Love
    Paul George
    Horford
    Bosh
    Wall
    Curry
    CP3
    Griffin
    Dragic
    Cousins
    Nowitzki
    Harden
    Howard
    Marc Gasol
    Anthony Davis
    Parker
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Lillard
    Aldridge

Most of these guys are completely untouchable. Some are in the range of "possible":

Aldridge - UFA in 2015
    Dragic - UFA in 2015
    Bosh - Post-Lebron experiment fails
    Horford - UFA in 2016. Coming off injury
    Lowry - If toronto's season goes south
    Melo - If NYKs continue to lose and Phil Jackson wants to go in a different direction

8. Sanity2disChaos

I would consider Teague And Milsap HUGE upgrades and think ATL will be looking to get something for Milly before the deadline. I also think Schroder is inline to take over the PG spot in ATL. I always liked Teague and think he has progressed to become a very servicable PG.

Jones/Pelly pick/Cannan or Johnson/2015 2nd Rd pick

for

Teague/Milly

9. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

That isn't enough for those two. We would have to offer something like terry, papa, jones, pels pick, canaan, and a future first for Teague/Millsap

Unrelated
    Let's not forget our Eurostashes when we think about assets also (Llull, gentile, etc.). Morey has us well stocked.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Morey could have made this type of move when we had better assets but he didn't that is why everyone is so mad. He could have used Asik, Lin and Parsons, he did not. He could have gotten a new coach, he did not. Daryl just wants another superstar that's it. Otherwise he will probably make very small moves.

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

Lin had negative trade value, brah.

Source: It cost us a 1st rounder to get rid of him.

For Asik we got the Pellies 1st, 2 early 2nd rounders, and Terry's expiring. That's not a bad haul, and is much easier to trade than Asik is/was with his balloon payment.

Technically we also got Ariza, in the Asik deal, but that would have happened regardless.

I'm also not sure how well we would have done trading Parsons. He would essentially have a no trade clause as no team would take him if he didn't promise to resign. And then who would we have playing SF? He wasn't bringing us Kevin Love...

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would not do that if I were Houston too, but sometimes you have to overpay in order to get a solid role player.

Our role players have shown some progress, but they were disappointing down the stretch in the regular season and in the playoffs. That is why I think we won't be able to get the job done at the present time, irrespective of the offers that other teams put out.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Errr my gawd. How can you be from 2007 and say this nonsense.

14. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

"Houston may have more trade assets than anybody else among the league’s top dozen teams."

-Zach Lowe

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-windows-houston-rockets-james-harden-dwight-howard/

15. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

That could be the case. I think FA would be the best venue to get that player. I don't see a disgruntled star available right now. I think there is some pressure to improve the team before the offseason. We can't go 3yrs in a row with a first round exit and hope to be the top destination in FA.

So I think at the very least, before the deadline, we will acquire a good player on an expiring contract. Good enough to help us in the playoffs. And with the flexibility of being a player in the offseason. (Worst-case scenario)

16. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

First let me say this. I love Patbevs attitude coming into this season can't wait to see if he has added something that can be his bread butter on the offensive end this year. If he can take the next step offensively then this conversation is a mute point IMO.

With that said some other potentials PG names to keep in mind were there are position battles. Also some less flashy names.

Norris Cole(says he wants a starting role, and Miami named Mario as there starter. He has Championship Experience)
    Trey Burke( If Dante Exum can be a 6'6 NBA PG Burke may be out.)

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

18. haydenfisher342

says who?

Never understood this theory. Many well know known people in youtube do this. BBallbreakdown for instance. "please like us, and subscribe. You in?"

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You realize that this article actually proves my point more than it proves yours. I already knew what our assets are as they have been talked about in the Cyberx thread to death.

You took the one positive thing from this article and decided that it made you right, the rest of the article is very bleak about our situation. Our team is what it is. You are not going to get a star or superstar with what we have unless some GM really screws up or a star specifically says I want Houston or I will just leave. It is not about how many assets you have it's the quality of the assets that you have and whether or not someone wants them, it's "Flexibility". Keep in mind it says among the leagues top dozen teams not the whole league, meaning some lesser teams may have more assets. You can disagree that's your right but we will see in April the most we can do is a lateral move. You are delusional if you think we are getting a star or superstar with what we have, that's just my opinion. Morey gambled and he lost I'm just being realistic.

The most we can hope for is that our current roster overachieves or someone off of the bench is way better than we expected then we could either trade them, but more than likely not.

20. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

I never said we are definately going to get a superstar this yr. What I've said is that we can put ourselves near the top in terms of appealing bids for desirable players that may be or come to the market.

Rondo has supposedly told Sacramento he will not resign with them if he were traded there. Lesser teams may have better assets but will they offer them if they are unsure they can keep the player they are acquiring?

And if we do not get a huge upgrade before the deadline, we can have a lot of cap space to try again in Free Agency.