1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our 2nd SG: Mouton vs. Oscar Torres

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tozai, Jun 30, 2002.

1. tozai

tozai Member

Okay, I know some people mentioned this in another thread, but I wanted to hear some more people's opinions. Barring some trade of Kenny our roster is pretty much set other than backup SG. We're probably getting rid of Langhi, Williams & Willis. I wish we'd get rid of Collier but I think he's still under contract so unless we stuck him in a deal with KT, he's probably here to stay.

Well, anyways, the last spot needed to be filled was back-up SG. Most of us are preferring a defensive-minded player who doesn't try to play out of his role. I was hoping we might be able to address that in the draft but we didn't...

So two options are Oscar Torres and Byron Mouton

Mouton, as most of you know played in Maryland, so that would be yet another Maryland connection to make Steve happy. However, it's not just that he went to Maryland. He was a good defender, took a lesser role at Maryland after tranferring from Tulane and focused on all the little things. He was tough, passionate and did all the little things. He has decent size and athletic ability. His offensive game isn't great, but as a role player it's sufficient. Anyways, we could pick him up pretty cheaply and being from LA, this would be a good team since it's close to home as well.

Oscar looked pretty good in a few of the games he started. However, after Cat came back he disappeared often, most probably due to losing confidence or getting out of rhythm. He could shoot decently from 3pt, was very athletic and could finish on the break, plus he was a solid defender with decent height. His knocks were horrible ball-handling, bad decisions sometimes, and just looking lost occasionally. However, he's had a year with the team and definitely showed signs. We could probably get him for cheap as well but I'm not sure who I'd rather have.

Anyways, I think Rudy should invite Mouton to our Summer League at least...they invited Saul Smith for goodness sakes...that guy is brutal...so I just wanted to know what you all thought...

2. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I like Oscar, and with Maddox do we realy need another guard? Maddox is a good baller, he just had problems in College off-court, he was a true baller on the court.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I think I'd take Oscar.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I agree... keep Torres, keep Maddox to back up both guard positions, plus with Nachbar able to play a little SG, see what develops during the season. If it doesn't work out, SG is one of the easier positions to fill via the draft and via trade...

5. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

Torres is a really nice backup 2. I like his game, with time he will only improve.

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

I agree. OT is the man. This doesn't mean we can't invite Mouton to a summer camp or training camp.

7. SLC GRIFF

SLC GRIFF Member

Drex22,

Torres is a really nice backup 2?????

nice compared to who?????

;)

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

OT backs up Steve who backs up Cat. ;)

9. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

I don't see any redeeming value in Torres. He's OK, but do the Rocket's have room for him? We're talking number 12 or 13th man. No playing time!!!

10. micah1j

micah1j Member

That's what I meant. It doesn't matter who is the back up to Cat. Moochie, Steve and Cat will split up the playing time for SG and PG.

11. stopie

stopie Member

Oscar and Miles Simon

12. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I was thinking the same thing Tozai, Byron Mouton is a nice defensive minded guard that can fit our team. I would like for the Rockets to invite him to the summer leauge as well. I like Torres hussle though.

I see Torres, Mouton, Brown & Maddox fighting for the last two spots on this team.

13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

how on earth could Maddox be fighting for a spot on our team against Mouton who was not even drafted? Maddox has the skills to make an impact on an NBA team. Torres, Brown, and Maddox will battle over the summer and the better and more deserving player will become very obvious.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope Maddox can get (deserves!) some of Steve, Cat's, and Moochie's playing time. Oscar as well (if he makes the team).The 3 played too many minutes, healthy or not. They can be much more effective if their not worn down. You wouldn't think that would apply to Mooch, but his increased minutes (or role?) seemed to have an adverse effect on his play.

If just Steve, Cat, and Mooch basically divide our guard play, their playing WAY too many minutes. Steve and Cat need to keep what makes them better than just about any other backcourt duo... their incredible athleticism (and Cat's amazing first step).

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

OT no question.

I think OT has a chance to be a real player in the NBA, he moves without the ball, and plays tough defense.

DaDakota

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Oscar going to Denver w/Nene? How 'bout...Odom? Play the 2, 3, 4....

17. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I know that Mouton has not been drafted, but this is what summer leagues are for. If he gets invited, I think he can prove that he have a chance to make the Rockets. The Rockets are in a need of back up SG if they think OT is not adequat.

Maddox will fight brown on the last spot.

Have not you seen undrafted player made a team before?

18. Stevie Francis

i don't like neither of them, but i'd take OT

19. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Maddox won't make our team. What happened to that guy we got in a trade last year that was a 2 guard, and he went to Europe, Kyle????

20. drpepper

drpepper Member

I'm glad some of you are starting to come around. Mouton is a good player and deserves a chance, especially since nothing really developed last year with OT. I would rather have Mouton. He played all four years and was usually assigned the best player on opposing teams in the ACC. He was also a major contributer on the Championship team. He's also a good defender, which is something we don't have. He'll only play 10 minutes a game and will sign for the minimum.