1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Otis Smith: Alston All Orlando Needs at Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sportsmagic05030509mar05,0,6066147.story

Lets root for Rafer!

2. Crab_Dribble

Crab_Dribble Member

I'd rather not root for that criminal

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

LOL @ thread title

4. OlajuwonShake34

I hate the Orlando Magic so no. I hope Rafer doesn't return to Orlando even though he fits in well with them. Rafer deserves better than that overrated team.

5. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

still a good trade for both teams. magic needed a pass first pg, and rockets needed a more efficient pg.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

:) Tribute to the old Houston Chronicle article.

Was it Richard Justice or John Lopez who wrote it?

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

shortfuse3 If you think so then you are mistaken! Because one thing that Rafer wasn't is a pass first Point Guard. If you had been reading my posts then you would have noticed how many time this fact was pointed out by me.Y :p

8. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I say LOL!!! I look at that article as one to read just to get some laughs out of.

Right now, how can Otis say that even though he is shooting 38.4 percent from the floor with 20.8 from beyond the 3-point arc since he was acquired? I think that when opposing defenses start defending properly, which is work hard just to shut down the four other players and force Rafer to make scoring plays himself, he'll start to think otherwise.

One other thing, since Rafer is no longer a Rocket, I think this thread should be in the NBA Dish.

Here's a link to another thread of mine currently in the NBA Dish concerning his website:

Link-->http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=163473

9. joesr

joesr Member

Kinda funny how he started passing more once tmac was out.....

Kinda funny how he started averaging double doubles once tmac sat out.....

Kinda funny how I saw him directing traffic and moving the ball and getting the ball moved once tmac sat out......

Kinda funny how many times you pointed that out.....

Once tmac sat out Rafer was able to become the playmaker that he really is. With tmac in he basically became a SG and he knows he isnt a shooter but he is still supposed to take those open shots and he still sometimes put up those stupid floaters, in or not, just not as many now.

I am trying to figure when you started pointing things out, past or current....

10. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Kinda funny how you're using a small sample size to conclude that Rafer was actually God's gift to point guards but was being hampered by T-Mac's cancerous on-court presence. He's had hot streaks before, FYI. It's the cold streaks (which usually last much longer than his hot streaks) that are the problem.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

What is this doing in the GARM? Rafer Alston is not a Houston Rocket anymore and hopefully he wont ever be again. We don't care what Otis Smith has to say.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

He was not averaging a double double.

13. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

why are there so many threads on rafers "success". does anyone here really care? we all know who he is and what he can and cannot do. i think this is the 3rd time ive seen this article posted.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I have been pointing this out ever since he became a Rocket!
    I agree just before he was traded he did start to be everytyhing I had hoped he would be, except once the team established a winning margin Rafer reverted to his old self. I had also pointed out many times that Rafer just brought the ball down the court and handed it off to Tracy to become the playmaker. Recently, during Tracy's injury rest period, when the team started to click I recommended that this passing to Tracy had to stop and that Rafer must be determined to be a Playmaking Pont Guard and that when Tracy returned he should stop trying to set himself up but instead should become a spot up shooter, receiving the ball in open situation, this would have encouraged more high percentage shots. However I must also point out that even when he decided he couldn't pass to Tracy he was mostly looking for his own shot and only passing as a secondary thought, Every Season,he was very poor, at passing to Yao Ming:p

15. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

Not that it matters but does anyone remember a guard that plays for Orlando by the name of Jameer Nelson? I have a feeling he will be the starting pg next year...

16. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

One other thing I wanted to add to this post of mine is the link to the thread on Magicmadness.net concerning this same topic.

Link-->http://magicmadness.net/index.php?showtopic=6142

This is the quote on the very first reply from a guy named Vinnie from that thread, and I say LOL once again. Or maybe I can say, "Yeah, Right! :rolleyes: "

17. Shahraj

Shahraj Member

Let's see what happens when the Magic actually need Alston to make shots when everyone is double and triple teaming Howard on the inside...we'll see if Alston is all they really need then.

18. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

That's what I say. Also, how about when opposing defenses focus a lot more on shutting down just four players rather than five? That is something I've said numerous times in other threads on this bbs after the trade.

Even though he might be an upgrade to the players they tried replacing Jameer Nelson with, he is still the weakest link in their starting lineup. I feel that during a playoff series, the Magic opponents will figure that out.

19. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

he started, meaning before tmac sat didnt have any DD while when tmac sat out had 2 DD ithink ?? i know he dished out season's best with 13 assist.