1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Other Sources of Income?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, May 2, 2015.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

jesus in australia its min that we put in 10% and its about to rise

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Acorn app perhaps?

3. mikus

mikus Member

Social Security or FICA payments is closer to what you have in Australia and that's 12.4%, though the difference is that you don't manage your FICA benefit and what you receive retirement is only somewhat loosely based on your contribution.

Actually it's quite difficult to compare the US system with Australia, but 401K contributions which is your own account is voluntary.

4. body slam

body slam Member

The easiest way to make money is to not spend money. Figure out what you can do with out, how to stretch your money, and get the best bang for your buck.

cut the cable cord
    take your lunch to work
    be a smart shopper
    don't party like a rock star
    wait a extra week before you get a hair cut

there are all kinds of little things that can add up quick

5. Asian Sensation

Lame!

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yeah I have no idea where he got the idea that you can become a "small town judge" by hanging around a courthouse. Without passing the bar exam? Is another judge going to approach him and ask him if he needs work? That's not how you become a judge.

I thought you were being sarcastic but your other recommendations seem somewhat reasonable. Artist? :rolleyes:

7. body slam

body slam Member

its very lame, but it works

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What's the point of saving up money on small things like that? You got to live your life.

With that kind of mindset trying to save on small things like cable, you'll never ever be able to enjoy your savings.

You'll have second thoughts to spend on anything simply because you've gone into a heavily miser mindset.

Dude life is short.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Find sluts
    Turn them on to tricking
    Become their pimp

Easy $$$$

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wasn't going to read this thread, but then I realized that I couldn't remember why I put you there. Go figure. So you're off (not that you should care!), and I'll suggest something I've done very well with the last few years. Part of my investments are in Vangard funds. You could do a heck of a lot worse than looking into them. Edward Jones (seems like they are on every street corner these days) could help you with that. Just walk into one (better if you had a particular office and a particular broker suggested by someone you know and/or respect) and I doubt that it would cost you anything. They want your business. They'll want to know what level of risk (there is always an element of risk in this stuff - goes with the territory) you are willing to take. Generally, the younger you are, the less conservative you can be. I mentioned them because you are looking for an easy way to get into the investment game. That would be easy.

1 person likes this.
  11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Minimum investment in Vangaurd mutual funds is $10,000. However, he should look at their ETFs (VOO or SPY).

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was thinking he had 18K, but that was DOMINATOR. My bad.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Haven't read all the posts here yet. But i read this one. So after i finish saving up 10k emergency funds, save up another 10k for the vanguard minimum investment? What are ETFs?? Voo? Spy?

I appreciate all the serious responses so far.

Somehow pouhe always helps me out when i create a thread like this. So im giving you a shoutout and tell you that youre the bomb.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

ETFs are funds that trade like stocks, so there is no minimum investment required. VOO and SPY are ETFs that mirror the S&P 500 like Vanguard's VFINX mutual fund does. VOO is Vanguard's and SPY is SPDR's.

15. body slam

body slam Member

I was in debt with a house note, land note, car note, tractor note, credit cards, regular cost of living and trying to put some towards retirement. I was not getting a head. I was lucky to break even and I was not enjoying life working a full time job and a part time job every other weekend. I cut out the small things so I could enjoy life. The money I saved became my fun money.