1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OTA DTV] Channels changing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by theWIGMAN, Jan 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

A heads up to people watching DTV/HDTV over the air (OTA): currently, local TV stations are simulcasting in analog and digital by broadcasting the digital signal on a separate channel (eg, in Houston channel 8 digital is actually broadcast on channel 9). After the DTV transition date 02/17/09, analog will be turned off and the digital broadcast for SOME stations will move to the channels where they previously broadcast analog or to a different channel entirely. So, if you're watching DTV over the air, you should re-scan your digital channels after the DTV transition. AVSForum has info on the DTV channel changes HERE.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Thanks, I had no idea the channels would be changing outright; I just thought they'd switch from Channel XX to the existing Channel XX.1 or XX-1. Also I've noticed the PBS digital channels shut off their signal at midnight in my area (Omaha, Neb.) even though their analog station is still on at that time (on weekdays). Is that happening nationwide?

3. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

I know it's not happening like that in Houston. I think your local PBS station may just be conserving power by shutting down the digital broadcast to save money. You should call them and ask about it. Back in the day (4 yrs ago?), I used to call the Houston PBS station whenever there was a problem with their digital broadcasts. It was great back then (HD 24/7 ... then they got cheap.

4. Poloshirtbandit

thanks for the heads up

I've tried 3 different antennas and none of them have been able to pick up channel 8. Hopefully after the switch I can get it.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's weird. I thought I couldn't pick up 8.1 and 8.2 only because I was in Katy. It's bittersweet to hear I'm not the only one. I have an RCA older antenna, by the way. What brand is yours? :eek:

6. Poloshirtbandit

A cheap $10 RCA. It picks up most channels fine, but I have some problems with channel 20. It has to be turned a certain way and I have to be a certain distance from the TV. I tried some more expensive ones and same result so I took them back.

7. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

Channel 8 digital has been broadcasting at about 1/3 of full power to avoid interference with a station in Lufkin. After the transition, they'll be able to turn it up all the way, so there's a good chance you will be able to pick it up then.

8. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I worked around the weak ch8 signal by attaching a Slinky to my antennae

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I won't fall for your silly post. Pics or GTFO. :eek:

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

How da heck did Lufkin get a channel?

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you haven't already, you might just want to break down and buy a digital converter box. I have a Digital-ready Samsung I only bought a year ago; but I still had to get a digital converter to get UHF reception (and even then I can still only get Fox).