1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt to the Phillies for JA Happ and MORE???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jul 20, 2010.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That seems to be what the general consensus is. He's struggling because of lingering problems from the injury. I'd hope for a full physical before completion of any deal, if this is where the Astros are going. I'd be more curious as to who the "other players" are.

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2010/7/21/1580036/roy-rumors-astros-in-talks-with#storyjump

3. rockets934life

@davidnuno: Source says Dodgers kicking tires about Wandy Rodriguez. Could Astros be swayed?Best time 2trade him last yr. Good yr & 2 yrs of arbitration

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The Dodgers will have to make sure to order a few XXXXXXXXL helmets for Wandy's massive noggin. :)

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not saying this is right or wrong but if they were to move Roy, unlikely imo they move a guy like Meyers and/or Wandy. Again, jmo, but hey we'll see.

6. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

I went to St. Pius with his failure of a brother, Justin Drabek. I'll see if I can place call with him and get him out to a Spring Training invite next year. Wish me luck.

7. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Unlikely in what sense? Myers is pitching brilliantly this year and is a workhorse so far, you think we wouldn't get much for him?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'm not sure what we could get for him but I was talking in the sense of you think Ed and Drayton would trade away their top 2-3 pitchers? Yes, I get we arent going anywhere soon and if we get the prospects we should accept. However, we all know Drayton's sense of thinking. "If I blow up the team, no one will show up!" Not that anyone shows up now but...I'm not sure I see them having the cojones to do such a thing. I'm even surprised we might pull of a Roy O. trade. I say that half-jokingly, heh.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lol phillies, all they had to do was keep Cliff Lee but they didn't and bow they are working hard for what essentially is a downgrade.

10. BrooksBall

I would have to imagine that at least 1 of Roy, Wandy, Myers is still here next season.

We still need to put together some semblance of a rotation even if playoffs aren't on the radar.

11. BrooksBall

Could they have acquired Halladay without giving up Lee?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

says who?

Astros aren't going to be anything special for at least 3 years. Might as well have a fire sale and tank next season too. You get higher draft picks too (no that that means anything).

13. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

get dominic brown from the phillies

14. BrooksBall

Obviously, says me. Did I suggest otherwise? It's just my guess.

You don't need to convince me that the Astros are gonna suck for years. I've been saying that forever.

15. rockets934life

Trade Oz and Myers, keep a cheaper option in Wandy and hope he can regain his stuff next season. Saying that, see what Wandy can get you and if it is a nice deal then pull the trigger.

16. rockets934life

Uhmmmmmmmm.....

@Ken_Rosenthal: More smoke on #Phillies: AAA club did not use closer Scott Mathieson in save situation Mon., then pitched him two innings for save Wed. #MLB

17. BrooksBall

I would be all for trading all 3 of them if you can land at least 2 legitimate starters as part of those deals or through free agency. You still have to put together some semblance of a rotation in a lost season next year. You can't go out and have your starters averaging 4 IP per start.

For that matter, I'd be all for trading every last player on the current roster other than Castro, including Bourn and Pence, if the right deals come along that project to make us better further down the line. I'd even trade Castro if the right deal came along but I don't see that being the case at this point.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's underwhelming at best. 2 major surgeries. Though, he is a Wade draftee.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not exactly new news but Tim Kurkjan says there is some sort of 3 way deal going on. Werth would have to be moved first.

Solid points BB. Agree.

20. rockets934life

Pure speculation but something to ponder....

@joshuabuckley: Clear Creek baseball fans should watch the Oswalt-Phillies talks closely. It wouldn't surprise me if RHP Jarred Cosart is involved in deal.