1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oslo bomb: suspicion falls on Islamist militants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 22, 2011.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Policeman wounded in blast in south 15 February 2010 | 09:20 | Source: B92 BUJANOVAC -- A member of a multi-ethnic police unit in Bujanovac, southern Serbia, was seriously injured on Sunday in an explosion.Reports said that his wife, and two girls who were passing by, sustained minor wounds in the incident.The bomb was planted under a Serbian police (MUP) vehicle, while the officer was identified as Blerim Mustafa, 39. Interior Minister Ivica Da?i? confirmed the incident and said that Mustafa has a fractured leg and ribs, while his wife, and the girls, were not seriously hurt. The car exploded several hundred meters away from the municipal building in this town, in an ethnic Albanian neighborhood. "There are indications that this was a terrorist attack," said Da?i?. The reason for this, according to the minister, is because the victims were "not only MUP members but also regular citizens". Mustafa's brother Besnik also came under attack in 2001, when a four-year-old and its mother were seriously injured. Besnik was at the time undergoing training to join the multi-ethnic unit where Blerim worked. Locals said that Blerim was targeted on several other occasions, and by his fellow ethnic Albanians, disapproved of his choice of career. Da?i? said that the investigation would reveal the attackers' motives, but that he believed it was organized by Albanians who were against the multi-ethnic police. http://www.b92.net/eng/news/crimes-article.php?yyyy=2010&mm=02&dd=15&nav_id=65201Typical KLA/UCPMB modus operandi, I suspect that both orders and perpetrators came from (ex)terrorist '' government '' of Kosovo which is this way trying to put pressure on Serbs in north Kosovo to accept Albanian institutions in this Serbian enclave. It's not coincidence that only few days before this attack Albanian official from Kosovo Jakup Krasniqi stated that if the Serbs from Kosovo want to brake away from Kosovo ( yeah like Kosovo is a state) then Albanians from south Serbia are ready to join Serbia.article: Quote:B92 News Politics Poli

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Stunning news.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Back...ttacks-Nationalist-motives-may-be-root-cause.

[rquoter]The alleged assailant is also identified as holding anti-Islamic and anti-immigrant views that are common among Norway's far right. A twitter feed of a man with the same name and carrying the same picture as the Facebook page has only one tweet, left July 17 in English: "One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100 000 who have only interests." The quote appears to be a paraphrase of John Stuart Mill, the 19th-century English philosopher of utilitarianism and liberty.[/rquoter]

I'm guessing Islamists weren't involved afterall.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

80 young adults/kids dead.

F*** that guy.

4. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

The day before the attack

[​IMG]

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Terrible news. This morning it said about 10 people had died. Just now I see the death toll jumped to 87. :(

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is why we should not jump to conclusions. You look like an ass right now.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks, but...

That post by Zboy doesn't make any sense...and neither does trustme's insult afterwards...
    The attack you posted obviously is not a major terrorist attack compared to what happened in Oslo.
    There were no comparable attacks in Serbia in recent years.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So it looks like the guy is
    • Christian
      [*]Anti-Islamic
    • Nationalist
    • Racist

and has been a farmer who therefore had access to lots of fertilizers, which can be used as a base for explosives.

Apparently, while he had profiles on Facebook through which he relayed racist messages, he is not a known member of a neo-nazi organization or anything like that, which is why he was not on the radar of the police.

It's almost impossible to prepare for something like that. The guy apparently came out of nowhere.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Also, it's strange that the guy did not shoot himself or get shot by the police, like most amok shooters. A lot of parallels to Tim McVeigh, really.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

By the way, the Guardian changed their headline.

Clicking on the same link I provided now leads to an article titled:

Norway attacks suggest political motive
    Targeting government offices and the Labour party camp point to political agenda behind attacks rather than Islamist terrorism

Most news media made similar changes, as the facts came out.

Just for those who might not realize I was just quoting a random article out of many with similar content and headlines.

P.S.: I am making a lot of posts in a row to push this thread to the next page, as GlenRice's picture is kind of "breaking the page" (at least on my screen).

11. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Looking at pictures of the island, you can see how one person was able to do so much damage. The island is tiny with almost nowhere to hide, jumping into the water and trying to swim away will make anyone a slow moving target.
    [​IMG]

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Such a freaking sad day.

I don't care who did it, terrorism is terrorism, and tragedy is tragedy. I've been saying for years that this kind of person (racist, anti-immigrant, bigoted, etc) is tomorrow's terrorist and maybe it's unfolding now. It's all that hate fear-mongering by people like Geert Wilders and Jean Marie Le Pen, they have to take a look at themselves and ask themselves if they've pushed this kind of hatred to brew with the message they're sending - that their governments are not anti-immigration enough, etc.

It would be very unfortunate if this guy is not labelled as the terrorist he is.

I pray that this is an isolated incident rather than the birth of a new breed of terrorist.

They better crack down hard on this guy.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The terrorist here did not target immigrants, he seemed to have targeted members of the ruling party in his country.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

A conclusion was jumped to, yes, but honestly, I can't really blame anybody for doing so after finding out that since 9/11 there have been over 17,000 terrorist attacks worldwide by Islamic fundamentalists, over a dozen by Hindu fundamentalists, one in Nepal by Buddhist fundamentalists, and only five or six by Christian fundamentalists (including the murders of abortion providers/clinic staff).

16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Interesting numbers. Where did you find these?

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Come to D&D and see the title, shake my head.

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Very sad day for Oslo and they have my condolences. This feels a lot like 9/11 for Oslo. It's unspeakable that one person (or maybe two?) could do all this. I expect some major security changes after this. Unfortunately, lesson is only learned once you become a victim. I hope there is some justice other than letting this individual live out his life in a cell...even if that means a fellow prisoner taking him out. This piece of sh_t doesn't deserve to live a second longer.