1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oslo bomb: suspicion falls on Islamist militants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 22, 2011.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The title was not mine. And if anyone had bothered to read the article (and also the title), it stated that it was SUSPICION, which means both article and title were clearly speculation. As it turns out, that speculation was incorrect, but that does not mean it was that far-fetched that one could say the article was written with an ill intent to smear Muslims - if that had been the intent, it would have been incredibly stupid as evidently, facts were going to come out soon. Nothing would be gained by having made a correct guess, but one would look stupid for having made the wrong guess. So it was what it was, speculation based on prior events and history and threats, and the corresponding likelihood of that speculation possibly being correct. Not more and not less.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What is twisted about that opinion? :confused:

I am not telling anyone what to do, I am not doing anything, I just say that I don't like it.

I am all for people's freedom to do it, it just makes me kind of uncomfortable because I feel that, as they are doing it in public, they are kind of forcing their belief system on me. Yes, there is freedom of religion, but I guess what I mean is that there should also be freedom to be unaffected by other people's exercise of their religion, and once it is done "in my face" (instead of a prayer room, which I am all for), then I am not "free" from other people's exercise of their religion, but confronted by it.

Let's assume that you don't like it when two people have sex in public, in front of your eyes.

Does that make you twisted? :confused:

3. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Sex and prayers... Those are DEFINITELY on the same playing field.

Let's assume that you don't like it when colored people vote, in front of your eyes.

Does that make you twisted?

You cant insert any random situation and make comparisons. Its sad, even for you.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I too would rather that people pray in the designated areas. I find it a bit embarrassing to see someone out in public exhorting their god.

Keep it in the churches/mosques/wherever.

5. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

This kind of Nazi's "suspicion" is a tool that brainwashes their people from the truth and is one of the reasons that terrorism exists.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's a fair question to ask. Yes, I think that would make one twisted.

Your question made me think. I am trying to think what the difference is.

I think voting is different from the public prayer situation. The way to vote is (unless you mail in your vote) to go to a voting booth. There is no other way.

But there are plenty of ways to pray in private.

I think that, depending on the nature of the prayer (loud, ostentative), it can interfere with other people's lives. If prayer is a dialogue between a person and God, why would they have to force other people to overhear or witness that dialogue?

I would liken it to situations in a restaurant where the restaurant owners put up signs to not use your cell phones. The reason is that your dialogue with someone else forces other people to overhear your dialogue, which they do not want.

That, to me, is a similar situation to loud, ostentative public prayer.

I think it is entirely different from your example.

Also, as I stated back then already, ostentative prayer in public bothers me, whether it is done by Jews, Christians, Muslims, or Klingons.

Your example with the colored people would only be comparable if I said "prayer by [insert random religious group] bothers me, but when anyone else does it, it doesn't bother me" - which is not what I said or meant.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

One sentence with three words mentioning "The Oslo Bomb attack"

sorry if anti-Islamic sentiments and statements get me that riled up that morning to say something.

I had ZERO knowledge of an attack in Norway and I don't think anyone else here did either.

apologies to OP and Crew.

the bigoted anti-Islamic statements created by people who simply read the thread title deserve to be called out and ridiculed. they are the ones who have gone "full r****d"

8. Prince

Prince Member

either you're anti-terror or a terrorist. you can't be both unless you're a freaking troll.