1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#OscarsSoWhite

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SeabrookMiglla, Jan 14, 2016.

1. SeabrookMiglla

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...ost-all-white-nominees-top-categories-n496401

'Oscarsowhite' is expressing the very real dilemma of ethnic diversity within Hollywood. Minorities are not asking to be given undeserved rewards, but rather asking to be represented fairly in Hollywood so that they have a legitimate chance to win those awards.

I think the first order of business is to analyze some statistics of Hollywood Ethnic Demographics. In 2013 the University of Southern California released a major study of over 600 Hollywood films between 2007-2013. Here is the link- http://annenberg.usc.edu/pages/~/media/MDSCI/Racial Inequality in Film 2007-2013 Final.ashx It's a brief 10 page summary listed with various key findings.

The study focuses primarily on the casting ethnicity of Actors, Directors, and Movie-goer's. Here are a couple of quotes from the conclusion of that study.

-"Despite the demographic changes at work in the U.S., films still portray a homogenized picture of the world. In fact, nearly half of children under age 5 in the U.S. are not White, which means that both the current and future audience for films is far more diverse than what is shown on screen. "

-"In conclusion, top-grossing films do not fully represent the audiences they target. Stories and storytellers should reflect viewers who hail from different cultural backgrounds. The increasing diversity in the U.S. population means that diversity is not a question for the past—it is a challenge and a hallmark of the future."

The films that Hollwood produces will reach billions of viewers around the world, in the present and into the future. And while people may not be able to afford a decent education, they certainly learn a lot about the world around them through television. So when Hollywood fails to keep up with shifting ethnic demographics in America. That is a very big deal.

In fact, I would go so far as to say a threat to the well being of our nation as it pertains to race relations. Hollywood is a way we look at eachother as Americans. It's the stories that grab hold and make a deep impact on the fragile mind of a young child that can effect their future.

By the Acadamey Awards selecting yet again, an all white selection of nominees, that tells me that Hollywood is more than anything affirming White Privilege at large. So the study found that a large number of movie-goer's are actually minority. They're willing to watch films about white protagonist's, what makes Hollywood think that they wouldnt watch a movie about a minority?

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

The real travesty is that the Martian was nominated for anything. That movie absolutely sucked.

3. SeabrookMiglla

I would definitely agree with that... The hype was undeserved, that movie was really bad...

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The Martian got 93% on Rotten Tomatoes?

:confused:

I haven't seen it yet, but clearly some people here are in the minority.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

LOL, the pun wasn't intended...I just realized it.

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I watched it in a room with 5 people and every one of us HATED the film.

The consensus was that it was a solid 2/10.

7. SeabrookMiglla

Maybe as Houstonians, we have a higher standard for films dealing with NASA and space travel. lol

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It was a thinking man's Jerry Bruckheimer film.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So, illiberals like to address these topics with off hand humor.

Honestly, who cares? Don't like Hollywood's demographics? Don't buy tickets. Find something else.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Force Awakens is the biggest domestic box office of all time. The major new characters it introduced are a white girl, a black guy, a white guy, and a latin guy. The two new CGI characters with human voices were voiced by a black girl and a white guy. I don't think Hollywood is blind to diversity.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But the Academy is.

As a movie watcher, I generally don't notice or consider diversity, unless something is noticeably off.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I've boycotted the Oscars ever since "Good Burger" was denied a Best Picture nomination.

1 person likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Actors and directors wanting jobs?

Well that's nice, but that is part of the argument for a more diverse cast for MORE movies and not just one every once in a while.

When JJ cast for this movie he wanted to prove this point.

14. Buck Turgidson

You need smarter friends. ;)

Wallace was really great in Creed, Sam Jackson was usual Sam Jackson in Hateful 8, who else was really snubbed?

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am guessing that was dictated by Disney. They spent 4 bil. They wanted to hit every demographic they can.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of wish this was all a joke, but I know there are really stupid people that actually think this way.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So you know more about this then the people in Hollywood that speak on it constantly then?

You agree that 5% for Hispanic speaking characters is a good number and represents the country?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So do you actually think that people are being overlooked due to their race or nationality or are you just whining because of what the overall numbers happen to be?

If so, specifically name people that you think have been overlooked because of their race or nationality.....but it sounds like whoever wrote the original article is just whining for the sake of whining about something that isn't unfair but due to being racist all they can see is the race of who the winners are thus they are upset.

It's actually pretty pathetic.

1 person likes this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Do I think?

I don't know, I don't work in hollywood, but a lot of people IN Hollywood has "Whined" about this for a long time. Maybe you should tell them that it doesn't matter, not me. There has been NUMEROUS, the list is quite large of African American's in the industry "Whining" about it. From Danny Glover to George Lucas...

And you know, we are mostly past that. I think there are plenty of great African American actors that are not going to be passed up on, that star in movies, that are A list stars.

If you think a 5% representation for Hispanics is right, then I really don't know what else to say about that.

I mean thinking of the Martian. As someone who has read the book, have not seen the movie...I can say that cast was supposed to be a lot more diverse had it been more true to the book.

You may think "Here's Jay again, going on about Black people..." but Black people as a Minority are pretty well represented in Hollywood when it comes to roles. In fact, in the Martian one of those characters is not supposed to be black but Indian.

The argument being made isn't actually that the Oscars should just throw in some non-white actor for some pity nomination. The argument is that non-white people should get more roles period.

For example, The Martian could have cast an Indian guy to play what was in the book a pretty major role. AGAIN, I have no idea how big of a role it was in the movie but the guy could have had a chance at winning supporting actor no? If Anne Hathaway can win an Oscar for Fantine then so could that actor.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Can't even be bothered to see the movie? I can tell why you care so much about these awards.