1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oscar Torres

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ghettostar85, May 3, 2002.

1. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

Haven't seen his name mentioned in any threads lately. What are your thoughts? keep or discard?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Keep,

The guy can score, is aggressive, and is a decent defender.

OT will be a solid 6th man, or starter sometime in the near future.

DaDakota

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This whole Oscar Torres season is one big enigma to me. How does a player step up so excellently, so early, then just disappear? At first, I bought into the "he's tired" theory regarding playing year round in Venezuelean leagues, with little break, but not anymore.

Something happened. My only explanation is that he got into Rudy's doghouse, or they really did hide him from the league, and I can't really even buy into the latter. I mean, he stopped subbing for Mobley. And when he finally did get back out onto the court, he kinda sucked.

Is anyone else as confused about Torres as I am?

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

HP we should not forget also that he got injured twice, and the instability of the team did not help. When you consider the transition to the NBA and the communication difficulties, it should not be some difficult to see why he may have struggled.

5. knifejc

knifejc Member

I don't buy the communication theory because he did play well for a stretch...i think the Rockets just didn't use him. And since the Rockets loved that 3-guard line up soooooo much, i would have liked to have seen Torres in that lineup more. If you have to use the 3guard Francis, Mobley, and Torres, wouldn't have been too bad. Not for extended periods of time though

6. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

His decreased performance can attributed to the following:

1) Injuries
    2) lack of playing time
    3) rookie wall

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Viva Oscar!!

I personally, would like to see Oz get more playing time. He looks great on the court and when he's on, he's on, not mention he's got that "Glyde" look!! I hope to see him on the court more next year!!

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Very Confused. He was playing great to start the season.

He actually led us in scoring 3 times in the first two months and once during Tankfest. He has a lot of potential, he just needs the PT.

9. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

Honestly, I think lack of consistant playing time hurt him a lot. Also he did the majority of his "breakout" scoring while playing the 2 guard. From what I remember of the season he did not have the same offensive success at the 3.

I couldn't tell you why that is; seeing as I can't watch the games but maybe someone else could figure it out. The 3 guard lineup kills his playing time, and forces him to play out of position a lot of the time I guess.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I assumed it was the Adrian Griffin effect. As an unheralded rookie, no one considered Griffin any sort of threat and didn't bother playing defense on him. He did very well early, even getting a couple triple-doubles (if I remember correctly). Then, defenders started to pay attention and his production went down. It could be that Torres didn't get any respect from other teams and burned them for it. Once the league learned he wasn't devoid of talent, they played D on him and his production went away.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OT is a keeper. He is only problem is that the man ahead of him in the depth chart is averaging 42 min/game with the rest of the minutes being taken by the best player on the team when the Rocks go small ball.

Mobley and Francis need to play less minutes per game. They will be healthier for it and the bench won't atrophy, which is a problem for the team when either gets hurt.

The deligent reader will note that I am not saying that OT is the Rock's future 2 :)

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rudy hid OT on the roster after the beginning of the year, he was tanking and setting up for this year and beyond.

DaDakota

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

let Oz play! then you get the production.

14. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

HP I'm with you. When he started going off he did it all. He was defending, slashing, hitting threes and dunking NASTY. He was really looking like The Glide Jr, he even had a lot of spots on Sportscenter, but then I don't know what happend. He stopped getting minutes and then when he got any he played like excrement. :confused: Who knows what it was.

I'll tell you what though. If he consistently plays like he did in December and Griffin consistently plays like he did in January......... :eek:

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We should keep OT, I hope we don't have to pay him a lot of money for the next season.

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

err yeah Rudy tanked by playing Mobley and benching OT

17. tariq

tariq Member

I say keep OT for the simple reason that he is a good defender and CHEAP!!!

He needs to improve this summer though.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

i think OT was hidden from the league.
    He is a keeper

Rocket River