1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oscar = Robert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElVenezolano, Jul 2, 2002.

1. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

One question do you all think that maybe Oscar Torres could be our new and young Robert Horry and maybe he could be that kind of player at the end. I think there game is very similar what do you all think? And if not him then who?

2. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

I like Oscar's game alot, very aggressive and knows his place. I think we ought to keep him, i think he would be content coming of the bench for us. Seems like a humble dude.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Robert Horry is the NBA's biggest underachiever. There will not be another one like him.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Cato comes to mind. Wouldn't it be funny if when we get to the playoffs, and Cato becomes a monster, averaging a double double and hitting game winning put backs?

5. rockbox

No way, Cato would actually have to catch a basketball to hit a game winning shot.:D

6. mav3434

mav3434 Member

He never turned out to be the next pippen, true, but get real. He was a key role player on five (and counting) championship teams.

Yes, he's athletic. He's a decent spot up shooter and a good defender, but he can't handle the ball, and never could, like Pippen, and too skinny to bang consistently at PF, although he made a go of it when he had too. There are plenty of guys with comparable skills that did far far less.

Not bad for a guy who was booed when he was drafted out of college as a nobody in the 11th spot. Look at the guys who were drafted ahead of him that year: Adam Keefe, Todd Day, Christian Laettner. A lot more people will remember Robert Horry than those losers. Laettner and Day are practically the poster boys for underacheivement.

7. rockbox

I'm one of the biggest Horry fans there is. I've seen enough of Horry to know what he is cabable of doing and the only reason he is not all-star is because he is lazy and doesn't want to play during the regular season. He was quoted saying that he didn't want to work on his handles because it required to much work and he didn't want the added pressure of being a ball handler. The guys you mentioned do not have the tools to be great NBA players, Horry does. He just choosed not to to use them during the regular season.

8. tozai

tozai Member

Yeah, but he does draw game-winning charges on Abdur-Rahim...

And Oscar is in almost no way similar to Horry...I'm hoping Rudy & Co. don't ruin Eddie and never max out his potential. However, it SOUNDS like he's bulked up and worked on his post-up game which is good news, but if he doesn't dominate the Summer League there will be great concerns. Damn, I need to have some patience, huh? I just realized he's only 20...

Good things to come, good things to come...

9. mav3434

mav3434 Member

"The guys you mentioned do not have the tools to be great NBA players, Horry does. He just choosed not to to use them during the regular season."

Bigger underacheiver than laettner? Come on, he was picked for the dream team over Shaq! Granted, a lot of that was due to anti-shaq backlash and due to his successful college team, but somebody thought he had tools.

Maybe we just have different definitions of under/over acheiving, but I never expected all that much out of Horry. There are plenty of raw athletes in the NBA as good/better than Horry that have done a hell of a lot worse. Lots of guys (Hakeem) turn it on in the playoffs too, but that didn't mean they were dogging it in the regular season. Hakeem/MJ, et al. went from very good to great in the playoffs, Horry went from average to good/verygood in the 4th quarter of playoff games.