1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[orlando sentinel]Rockets to get Cook, Foyle, and Wilks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Feb 19, 2009.

1. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

foyle is already 33 years old, was never that good to begin with and is now considered at least as done as deke. plus, foyle is as offensively challenged as deke if not even more. adelman hates those kind of players. foyle has no future as a rocket (nor anywhere else).

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not by itself, it doesn't. And there's no way we make this trade if it does land us there (after giving up Memphis' 2nd round pick to trade Francis stay out)

Makes me wonder if portions of Foyle or Wilks salary are not guaranteed (unlikely), or we still slipped in under the luxury tax due to our team's salary being lower than expected, or Foyle/Wilks salaries being lower (likely).

Other than using our TE, there's also the "Minimum Salary exception" to acquire guys like Wilks and Foyle.

Also found this from http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q16:
    For all intents and (luxury tax) purposes, Wilks and Foyle make $797,581.

As I eyeball it, it looks like we bumped up our team salary for luxury tax purposes by $1m (and I'm betting Orlando is paying for Foyle/Wilks). I'm guessing the Francis trade gave us enough flexibility to do that and sign Deke.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think you're missing the point of Foyle possibly being on our team (or any team, for that matter). He is a situational, big body who can defend. He's insurance. Every team needs more than one big man but a team that has a star center can't really afford to have one that is particularly good. It's a waste of money for a guy who won't play much. Foyle is about as useful as you can get for an end of the bench guy.

Cook is completely useless on our team unless we have made another trade that hasn't been anounced.

4. STIX

STIX Member

To make the salaries work, the Magic sent center Adonal Foyle and Mike Wilks to Memphis.

5. STIX

STIX Member

They were sent to Memphis. ;)

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Now that makes sense.

7. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Please read the article before posting ...

8. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

i guess i was right, though. ;)

9. ak47

ak47 Member

Foyle and Wilks to Memphis says 610

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol i was about to say. We finally got Foyle, the big name center we chased before we got Yao. And it could have been the RETURN OF MIKE WILKS! WHO?!? MIKE WILLLKKKSSS.