1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Orlando Sentinel] Magic feel moving up is "realistic", Carney turning heads

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...,0,6236511.story?coll=orl-news-headlines-lake

Carney turning heads
    The Magic are still trying to move up in the draft and they like Rodney Carney

Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer

The Orlando Magic took a closer look Thursday at players who should be available if they make the No. 11 pick as expected in the NBA draft this month.

Yet their sights still are set higher.

"I'm comfortable at 11, but we're trying to get up a couple picks ahead of us,'' said Magic General Manager Otis Smith. "It's a realistic goal. There are teams trying to move down, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get in there.''

Smith said the Magic would like to pick in the 6-7-8 range -- spots currently held by the Timberwolves, Celtics and Rockets -- which would create a different set of available players.

Guards Rodney Carney (Memphis), Ronnie Brewer (Arkansas) and Randy Foye (Villanova) -- who all are expected to be picked in the 9-15 range on draft night -- were among those in a private workout at RDV Sportsplex on Thursday.

Also, there were guard Mardy Collins (Temple), guard Quincy Douby (Rutgers), guard Hassan Adams (Arizona) and forward Shawne Williams (Memphis). The Magic also have two (and possibly a third if they want it) second-round picks. Most of the Magic staff has been at the NBA pre-draft camp this week at Disney's Wide World of Sports, along with the staffs of the other 29 NBA teams. The Magic shuttled back between sessions for the private workout.

"Carney is a physical specimen,'' Smith said. "I think he could be special, a real good player in this league. Brewer is pretty talented. He gets the whole picture. Some of the things he does, you can see his dad [former NBA player Ron Brewer] in him."

They have set up private workouts next week with guard J.J. Redick and forward Shelden Williams.

Although Smith would not say who the Magic would like to get if they move up to the 6-7-8 range, there is a chance that a better player like forward Rudy Gay (Connecticut), guard Brandon Roy (Washington), or forward Adam Morrison (Gonzaga) could slip to them.

To exchange picks with someone in front of them, the Magic would have to part with either a player like Keyon Dooling or DeShawn Stevenson, or a future first-round pick, or possibly the rights to Fran Vazquez, last year's first-round pick who is expected to play in Spain for at least another season.

"We've heard nothing yet that would knock us over. All the talks have been so preliminary at this point,'' Smith said. "Things are just being thrown against the wall. Everyone has to get comfortable with the draft and who they can get at their spots. A week or so from now, talks will get more serious.''

DRAFT NOTES: The Magic weren't the only ones holding private workouts during the pre-draft camp. Florida State power forward Alexander Johnson and University of Miami point guard Guillermo Diaz both worked out for a half-dozen teams Thursday afternoon at a small gym inside the nearby Celebration Hospital facility. Among those watching that workout were representatives from the Bulls, Warriors, Trail Blazers, Timberwolves, Hawks and Clippers. Various mock drafts have Johnson going late in the first round and Diaz early in the second round. ..... Sacramento Coach Eric Musselman, the former Magic assistant, hasn't had much time to scout players at the pre-draft camp because he has been busy here trying to put together a new staff. "Finding just the right people isn't easy,'' he said.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My thoughts are: Blah on Dooling, even blah on Stevenson ... maybe DeShawn, but I'd need to be convinced.

But Fran Vazquez and the #11 for the #8? I don't know if Vazquez can be talked in to coming over or not, but that's an extra lottery pick for moving down 3 spots.

You can't trust what GM's say of course... they talk a player up publically so someone else takes him, and downplay someone else... but on the Brewer vs. Carney debate, that quote really shows who he thinks has the greatest upside.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I could see the Rockets being one of the teams that want to move down. Only player on the Magic that I am interested in that might be available is Hedo, maybe Harpring.

But I would have to see how things turn out on draft day. IF a guy like Gay, Roy, Thomas, or Morrison (unlikely) fall, I wouldn't trade down. But if all those guys are gone and the Magic are targeting Carney, I'd deal the pick for #11 + 2007 1st rounder (which is going to be a very good class IMO).

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

DeShawn Stevenson would be perfect for this team. He's an underrated shooter and he is about as athletic as Dwayne Wade. not sure about his defense though.

this past season he only took 15 three pointers and only made 2 (that doesn't seem right) but the year before he shot 37% on 67 threes taken. His mid range shot is solid. He's only 25.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I wouldn't call Stevenson an underrated shooter at all. I remember him having a solid mid-range jumper like you said, but his 3-pt shooting is as bad as his % says it is. While he did hit #37% the year before, the 2 previous seasons he shot 26% and 29% hitting a combined 31 of 112 three pointers.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Clutch: You can't trust what GM's say of course
    Clutch: that quote really shows who he thinks has the greatest upside.

OK, Clutch sir, which comment do I trust???

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Stevenson is a terrible fit. A knucklehead with no jump shot that likes to try to break his man down with the dribble one on one moves.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

If we move down with Orlando's pick, that means we're not interested in Carney at all.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The only thing I'd be interested in trading down to 11 from Orlando is

- Hedo

- maybe Vasquez(though I really know nothing about him other than he's a lotto forward who flaked out on the Magic)

- or a 1st rounder next year, say top 5 protected or something.

other than that, eh, I'd rather just take bpa at 8.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know. The quote about Carney and Brewer seems to reflect my apprehensions: Carney is a great physical specimen, but doesn't show great skill at actually playing basketball, while Brewer is physically no juggernaut, but has actual basketball skills. Now, it's possible that Carney will acquire those skills and, with his athleticism, be really great. But, if he never does acquire those skills, he'll just be a guy who can run and jump, but can't shoot, box out, pass or d up. In that case, I'd take Brewer.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

OK - that was a little confusing. I meant that's what his comments are saying... but take it with a grain of salt because you never know what these guys want to put out there.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the other thing I was gonna write is that I don't think he is a knucklehead even though he got in trouble in Utah. He was young, I think that happened five years ago. he's been a solid citizen in orlando.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is part of Carney's lack of accomplishment related to his not being devoted to basketball entirely. Isn't he a track star as well? Is he relatively inexperienced? Did he do the AAU ball thing, etc? Anybody know more details about his background? MemphisX?

14. ty185

ty185 Member

This sounds like a good news if rox want to draft Redick. :)

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He only did track in high school. He was the state champion in the high jump (6'11") and finished 6th in the 400 meter state championship race.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Telltale signs indicate we're gonna draft Carney (who I doubt goes higher than the 8th spot) and trade him to Orlando for, perhaps, Ronnie Brewer at #11 and....well, here it gets tricky.

We could send them Bob Sura (essentially an expiring contract; the guy's done anyway) and Luther Head as part of the trade and take back Hedo Turkoglu, a versatile player (pass, dribble, 3 pt shooting) who can give us a matchup nightmare for opposing teams. The Magic would probably like to drop even more salary for next summer, when Grant Hill finally comes off their books.

Would they want Swift? They already have Battie to back up the kids (Darko, D-Howard).

Anyway, if we draft Carney for them, I want Hedo on the Rockets to give us that sweet-shooting 4/3. It would make sense.

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

If CD/Morey can go and sweetalk Vasquez into coming over, that would be huge value for our pick. Grab the best avaliable swingman at #11, BPA at #31, and Vasquez and that would be an incredibly successful draft to build the rest of our offseason on.

18. Rockets Dynasty

Guards Rodney Carney (Memphis), Ronnie Brewer (Arkansas) and Randy Foye (Villanova) -- who all are expected to be picked in the 9-15 range on draft night -- were among those in a private workout at RDV Sportsplex on Thursday.

No one else noticed this?

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i call bs. this guy probably doesn't think he can move up at all and is talking up certain players like carney (and a week ago, shelden) in order to have someone else fall to them at #11 if they can't move up.

my guess...they want JJ. they are trying to convince the rockets, warriors, and sonics (all looking for swingmen) that carney and brewer are the swingmen to take. they were also talking up shelden because the same 3 teams could all concievably take shelden as well.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That they are projected 9-15, or that they did a private workout? If the former, I don't put much stock by it; the journalist likely isn't much more informed than anyone else on draft projections. If the latter, well that happens all the time.