1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O'Reilly vs Jon Stewart debate aka The Rumble 2012

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ktbballplaya, Oct 7, 2012.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think Stewart was more convincing but the childish act went overboard a couple of times.

O' Reilly really isn't as bad of a guy as people make him out to be. He has become a lot more likeable over the years. There are certain things he shares with the republican base but apart from that he makes some pretty level-headed statements.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

O'Reilly is actually a really well-educated guy. I used to hate him, but then I figured out that he also in a way plays a character on Fox News to appeal to his base. Stewart goes a big overboard sometimes but at the end of the day these two have demonstrated that just because you disagree with someone politically, you don't have to hate each other.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That was fantastic. Enjoyed it a lot. I think Stewart got a little confused on the debt/deficit thing.

4. redlawn

redlawn Member

I enjoyed the debate, and overall I think Jon Stewart was far more convincing. He was a masterful.

However, he made a few mistakes:
    #1. The debt increase under George W. Bush and Obama was essentially the same: 6+ trillion dollars. The difference, however, being Bush's increase was discretionary and at-will, while Obama's increase was essentially mandatory due to the economic crisis.

#2. Stewart fell into the Republican trap, and he bought it hook, line, and sinker. People that go to war are not makers. People that "invest" aka speculate are not makers. People that exploit cheap labor are not makers. People that outsource jobs are not makers. The makers? It's the middle class.

5. yo

yo Contributing Member

Damnit, I paid 5 bucks for this last night. It was worth it, but still. Should've known it'd be up on Youtube.

O'Reilly is definitely by far the most intelligent, reasonable, and funny guy on that network. He's clearly playing a character - I'm not sure he honestly believes some of the stuff he has to spew. Would Stewart bother doing something like this with anyone else from Fox? Not a chance.

Stewart's act is part of the comedy. It's no different than anything he would do on the show. Despite the antics, the debate had more substance than all the presidential debates will have combined. I wish they would let candidates go at it basically unmoderated.

6. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I was really surprised by O'reilly. My view of him has always been negative and being racist but he came off really likeable and made valid points.

Very entertaining Debate nontheless. Wish the real debates were like this. Both sides kept it real and drove their respective points home.

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

It looks like it got cut by youtube

8. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uZpGyzCfwdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

O'reilly is genuinely interested in living in a country with people who disagree with him. I disagree with his views but he is sensible and his views are more pro republican than anti democrat. You guys can use more of this type. Good debate (despite Stewarts antics) and shows you that grown ups can debate difficult issues with a large scope with little moderation.