1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[oregonlive]Coin flip a big part of history between Houston and Portland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 20, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well Maxwell found the one Blazer fan who wasn't cool! :D

2. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

Vernon said that he punched the guy because he was talking about his wife having a miscarriage.

Not cool at all.

3. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Jordan and Hakeem, jesus f-ing christ, thats like 12 championships

4. tinman

Supporting Member

We got to the NBA Finals with Sampson by smashing the champion Lakers with Ralph.

Nobody predicted that Sampson would get a career ending injury.

Jordan with the Bulls never won a game against Bird's Celtics in the playoffs during the 80s.

The Rockets at least beat them twice.

5. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

How? I don't understand how everyone thinks we should have had Roy. We wanted him and tried to trade up, but we didn't have the pick. We picked Rudy, then traded for Battier.

Roy was drafted by the T-wolves, Foye by the Celtics, and they swapped.

6 Brandon Roy (SG) Minnesota Timberwolves (traded to Portland)
    7 Randy Foye (SG) Boston Celtics (traded to Minnesota via Portland)
    8 Rudy Gay (G/F) Houston Rockets (traded to Memphis)

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

They didnt steal him per say, but the Rockets would have had him save for this: Oops!!

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Hahaha,
    The game where Juwan Howard decides to play his "A" game :p

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Great article. I didn't know the Big Mo' connection to Portland.

Good thing they didn't foresee Walton breaking down or we might not have seen Moses.

9. Nero

Nero Member

The Rockets already had a deal worked out with the T-Wolves to trade Foye to them for Roy. Portland got wind of this and took Foye so we could not, and then they worked the deal for Roy with Minnesota. As I remember reading, Portland found out about the deal we had in place, and stepped in on it, thus screwing us out of Roy. My memory is dim, but I think people were expecting them to take Gay, or something like that.

So when Gay 'fell' to us at 8, the board here was generally ecstatic, because no one expected him to last that long. We didn't yet know the details of the plan that had been in place for Roy, and we had not yet seen that we were giving away Gay for this Battier dude. That was a roller-coaster of a night, I tell ya. People were thinking that we should have at LEAST got Battier *and* Lowery out of it, but no, it was straight-up.

Like I said before, take nothing away from Battier, because he is an extremely valuable player for this team, but Roy is a special player, Morey knew, it, most everybody did. We knew the Blazers had their eyes on Roy, that's why the deal was done with Minnesota in the first place, to keep him out of Portland's hands, but that was all contingent on Foye still being there at 8, since he was who Minnesota really wanted (they saw him as the next Dwyane Wade).

Portland had no interest in Foye, gay (the guy people were thinking they would take) sitting right there for them, but somehow they found out about the Houston/Minny deal, and jumped in to steal Roy, thus screwing us in the process.

Don't get me wrong - I would have been delighted if it had been the other way around, and we had managed to sneak in and steal a perennial All-Star from someone else like that. I don't blame Portland for that, I would have done the same thing.

But it doesn't make me despise them any less, nor does it lessen my desire to see the Rockets completely destroy, humiliate, EVISCERATE, FRACTURE, DISMANTLE, OBLITERATE, CRUSH, DISEMBOWEL, REND, VAPORIZE, ERADICATE, AND IN ALL OTHER WAYS *BEAT* THE BLAZERS!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!

10. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

For a very long time I never knew of any footage that existed but apparently there is footage that was posted on youtube a couple of years ago. Last I checked its not up anymore....does know anything about this?

11. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah they removed the footage. it was wierd, they had seinfeld and clyde drexler and rick adelman in the video too.

12. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Philly was under bad management back then. I remember reading in Barkley's autobiography how they could have drafted Stockton but chose Leon Wood. To this day he still keeps saying that he would've had more points than Malone if he had Stockton.

Man I so wanted him to win a ring with the Rockets, and how ironic that it was Stockton who stopped him from getting it.

13. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Mann I shoulda have ripped it off youtube before they took it down. I doubt anybody has it anymore. But yeah the video itself was hella wierd...

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks, I'm glad someone enjoyed that article. I still don't understand
    how something

I didn't write

basically is just a bunch of historical facts

gets a low rating.

oh, wait. I know, its too complicated for these idiots to understand that its Portland VS Houston, not favorite player vs love from the media.

I know this will confuse them, but if Rick Adelman wasn't so successful with Portland than he wouldn't be successful with the Kings thus meaning we would have never hired him as Rockets coach.

99 forever!

15. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I dont understand the low rating either. Like anything talking good about Yao gets 5, anything talking about something Yao has trouble with gets 1, and anything about T-Mac(other than maybe he just got traded) gets 1 star. Maybe there is a part that automatically gives Tinman a 1 star. How dare he put the team ahead of the players! :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work Tinman.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

To me, Portland vs Houston is an extremely interesting rivalry because every important part of Rockets history has to do with Portland.

How did we win championship #2?
    we got some dude from Portland named CLYDE DREXLER

Who did we dump Scottie Pippen to?
    Portland

Who was the GM that swiped Brandon Roy in the draft from us?
    Oh that's Steve Patterson, the guy who built Clutch City

etc

Very good stuff. Oh. Rick Adelman..Legendary Portland coach