1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oregon Community College Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Oct 1, 2015.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

Lol, the 2nd amendment was created to protect the rights granted in the 1st amendment. You are correct it is a slippery slope because the left is already trying to limit the rights granted in the first amendment with political correctness.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

So that was a serious question????:confused: If everyone followed Jesus NOBODY would need guns!!!!

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It sure is frustrating when people who claim to follow Jesus ignore most of his teachings outside of the ones that they find easy to follow.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You truly don't understand what you are talking about. Freedom of speech and political correctness are entirely different things. No one is going to jail for saying politically incorrect things. Please make better arguments and have a better understanding of the world around you.

2 people like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm sure some are. Many? Also, being in stressful situation changes everything. 30% accuracy dropping to 18% is a huge drop. I think it's safe to said, on avg, untrained would do much worse than trained, especially in stressful situation.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what are "common sense" restrictions please?

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

for ****'s sake they've been listed, enumerated, and discussed a BILLION times. what's the point in listing some ideas again to the likes of the ultra-right wing crowd that views ANY restriction as unconstitutional and an affront to their very fiber as americans?

it's crazy how there is no middle ground for the gun loons in this country.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's clear as day that the 2nd amendment intends for gun ownership to be part-and-parcel of membership in a 'well-regulated militia.'

How the lobbyists managed to carve that little factoid away from the greater whole, especially for this long, is astounding.

9. basso

Supporting Member

i haven't seen them in this thread.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

150,000 people dead in America due to gun violence since 9/11.

Maybe we should have used our resources better. Nah let's go get those terrorists abroad!

Edit: number seems dated to me. Could be a lot higher actually.

Alcohol and gun violence seem to go hand in hand.

#70 sammy, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How about the 2 I mentioned in the very post you quoted?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's not what the SCOTUS thinks.....so maybe it's not as "clear as day" as you might think. In fact, there's no reason to think that active membership in a "well regulated militia" would have anything to do with the right to keep and bear arms....the only reason some wanted to suggest that is so that they could infringe upon the right to keep and bear arms.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's one easy interpretation of it. And one day, the nation can get back to that. That's likely the path that will happen at some time as the nation grow up.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Since two gun nuts have asked... reasonable restrictions include: longer wait periods, more stringent background checks, more limits on the number of guns purchased within a specified time period, mandatory gun safety training, national gun registry accessible by all local law enforcement, restrictions on the amount and type of bullets purchased, elimination of the gun show loophole... these are all just off the top of my head. None ban guns... none prevent law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms for personal protection or hunting.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And none would be likely to even put a dent in gun violence.

16. basso

Supporting Member

sure, i'd support those. would that have prevented this tragedy, or any of the other shootings we're discussing? honestly asking.

for the record, i support changing our gun laws. short of appealing the 2nd amendment, i'm not sure there a many great options. but i think we should take the amendment at its word, and *require* membership in a militia in order to own a gun. the national guard is one such well regulated militia.

why not require gun owners to enlist in the national guard, or at least spend a few weeks every year training with them? sort of like a swiss citizen army.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great, as a registered Republican, perhaps you can form a grass roots movement to overcome your party's monolitic opposition thereto.

Or maybe, slightly less ambitious on the scale, even just read the post you quoted before posting rhetorical bullsh-t about it

Or maybe you're not so serious and just being the same ol' disingenuous dipsh-t we all know and love.

I for one, can't wait to hear more.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Requiring membership in a militia would violate the 2nd amendment. This has been well established. The right to keep and bear arms nothing to do with membership in a militia. This has been ruled on already.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Another claim based on zero proof or evidence.

20. basso

Supporting Member

58 killings in chicago last month. when you and your president demonstrate the same outrage about those deaths as you do about these i will take you seriously.